Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show? >

Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show?

Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Okay, here's a memory from the oldie! Dick Clark, American Bandstand. On 15 minutes after highschool let out. The "cool" kids stayed after school in the lounge so we could dance and watch. I can still hear the intro in my head, and see all of us trying the new steps. What a ball! PS... I'm talking when Bandstand was brand new to TV!!
My sister and I used to rush home from school to watch Bandstand! We would dance and sing all the songs! One of my good memories!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by clem55
Okay, here's a memory from the oldie! Dick Clark, American Bandstand. On 15 minutes after highschool let out. The "cool" kids stayed after school in the lounge so we could dance and watch. I can still hear the intro in my head, and see all of us trying the new steps. What a ball! PS... I'm talking when Bandstand was brand new to TV!!
You have aged as gracefully as Dick Clark!! Last I heard ( I think last fall or so) he had had a stroke. They had a program on about these autistic twin ladies who got to visit their idol Dick Clark and he was recovering from it then.
I saw him on the daytime emmies last month. He was given an award and a standing ovation. He cried the whole time. He doesn't look well at all...
:|
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I am in my 70s. On Channel 2, sponsored by Maxwell House Coffee, was a show called "I Remember Mama" starring Peggy Wood.
As a young girl I remember watching this show faithfully with my Mom and Sister.
I do wish they would bring it back on the air. It was really a very valuable family show.
I remember that show too...
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Not so much TV shows but songs The other day I was listening to an oldies station while I was going to the grocery store. The song "A Brand New Key" came on and I was transported back to the summer of 1969. It was really popular . that fall I entered high school. For some reason I just really remember that summer...oh the moon landing was that summer also
I still sing that silly song sometimes!!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Does anyone remember Lash LaRue? He was my hero, all drresed in black and wielding his whip. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I remember sitting on my grandmothers "side board" as a very young child eating sandwich cookies, drinking 7-up or Vernors and listening to Young Dr. Malone, Romance of Helen Trent, Ma perkins, The Guiding Light, Search for Tomorrow, Love of Life, and all the other soaps at the time on the radio. And, of course, I remember The Lone Ranger.

And then, when we finally got a TV, watching Snooky Lanson and Dorothy Collins and Gisele MacKenzie on the Hit Parade. And who can forget Lawrence Welk, Loretta Young, Ed Sullivan, Alfred Hitchcock, Dragnet, I spy, and all the other favorites. And then there was a Sunday night favorite that every week it was one of 3 different themes (or stars/stories). Does anyone remember that one? It escapes me right now. Each week it was a different mystery.

Those were the days.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Raptureready I remember the seams and all the shadows. I also remember seeing the camera and the microphones hanging in the scenes. Bad acting but I loved watching it with mom.
Ditto on seeing the equipment!! Too funny, even then. I remember one scene where a fly landed on Barnabas' face and he just went on, ignoring it. Now, that's talent!

One thing about the old shows, especially the low budget ones, you HAD to use your imagination and get lost in the story line and characters!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM

2 years ago I was in a car accident and what happened is called brain shear, explained to me it's the same that what happens to a child in shaken baby syndrome. Looking back the drs are amazed at my recovery and though it took me a year to sew, all those memories remained and where they're supposed to be.
We went to Cedar Point yesterday, and since I spent many days there as a kid 40-45 years ago, I consciously tried to remember things that seeing the park would sort out. I called it putting the memories that were knocked off my brain shelf sorted out and then refiled where they should be. I even remembered things that I haven't remembered for years, so there's hope there may be more to come
I have seen some old cartoons and Leave it to Beaver,Brady Bunch and especially some Dark Shadows that I used to race to see after school that have stirred some memories.
There are no outward signs of the hit on the head and though I thought I was like this before, I even moreso now don't judge anyone by their cover, inside they may be dealing with things that give no outwards signs that they are
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
2 years ago I was in a car accident and what happened is called brain shear, explained to me it's the same that what happens to a child in shaken baby syndrome. Looking back the drs are amazed at my recovery and though it took me a year to sew, all those memories remained and where they're supposed to be.
We went to Cedar Point yesterday, and since I spent many days there as a kid 40-45 years ago, I consciously tried to remember things that seeing the park would sort out. I called it putting the memories that were knocked off my brain shelf sorted out and then refiled where they should be. I even remembered things that I haven't remembered for years, so there's hope there may be more to come
I have seen some old cartoons and Leave it to Beaver,Brady Bunch and especially some Dark Shadows that I used to race to see after school that have stirred some memories.
There are no outward signs of the hit on the head and though I thought I was like this before, I even moreso now don't judge anyone by their cover, inside they may be dealing with things that give no outwards signs that they are
RugosaB...

It really does make you more aware of other people, doesn't it? I lost vocabulary and math skills due to a car accident. Probably was a good thing I knew how to laugh at myself!!! Most of my vocab has come back, (I do a LOT of crosswords), and since working in a credit union for the past 2 1/2 years, the math skills are getting better as well.

I hope your memories continue to come back!!!

Patti
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Omg Saturday mornings, singing the Cream of wheat song and listening to "Lets Pretend", The Shadow and that sqeaking door, Edward R. Murrow and his trip on the mountains then I was 8 when we got TV black & white and 10" square. I watched Kukla, Fran & Ollie, another one something Bill with Clarabelle the clown. Oh what great memories. We should design a quilt with these memories.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM

The one I remember is Capt. Kangaroo and Mr. GreenJeans. We had a black and white TV with an 8 inch screen. It sat in the corner of the kitchen. We also had Rocketship 7 with Promo the robot. You had to live in the Buffalo, NY TV market to know that one.