Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show? >

Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show?

Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Omg Saturday mornings, singing the Cream of wheat song and listening to "Lets Pretend", The Shadow and that sqeaking door, Edward R. Murrow and his trip on the mountains then I was 8 when we got TV black & white and 10" square. I watched Kukla, Fran & Ollie, another one something Bill with Clarabelle the clown. Oh what great memories. We should design a quilt with these memories.
Wasn't that Howdy Doody - Buffalo Bob Smith, Clarabelle, Princess summer/fall/winter/spring, Mr. Bluster, and the chief
Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

being 3 yrs old and kissing the screen when Lassie was over
Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk
Does anyone remember Lash LaRue? He was my hero, all drresed in black and wielding his whip. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I remember sitting on my grandmothers "side board" as a very young child eating sandwich cookies, drinking 7-up or Vernors and listening to Young Dr. Malone, Romance of Helen Trent, Ma perkins, The Guiding Light, Search for Tomorrow, Love of Life, and all the other soaps at the time on the radio. And, of course, I remember The Lone Ranger.

And then, when we finally got a TV, watching Snooky Lanson and Dorothy Collins and Gisele MacKenzie on the Hit Parade. And who can forget Lawrence Welk, Loretta Young, Ed Sullivan, Alfred Hitchcock, Dragnet, I spy, and all the other favorites. And then there was a Sunday night favorite that every week it was one of 3 different themes (or stars/stories). Does anyone remember that one? It escapes me right now. Each week it was a different mystery.

Those were the days.
Intersanktom(bad spelling) The Shadow and my mind just went blank, but I also loved Ma and Pa Kettle..great times
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jane65us
Originally Posted by burnsk
Does anyone remember Lash LaRue? He was my hero, all drresed in black and wielding his whip. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I remember sitting on my grandmothers "side board" as a very young child eating sandwich cookies, drinking 7-up or Vernors and listening to Young Dr. Malone, Romance of Helen Trent, Ma perkins, The Guiding Light, Search for Tomorrow, Love of Life, and all the other soaps at the time on the radio. And, of course, I remember The Lone Ranger.

And then, when we finally got a TV, watching Snooky Lanson and Dorothy Collins and Gisele MacKenzie on the Hit Parade. And who can forget Lawrence Welk, Loretta Young, Ed Sullivan, Alfred Hitchcock, Dragnet, I spy, and all the other favorites. And then there was a Sunday night favorite that every week it was one of 3 different themes (or stars/stories). Does anyone remember that one? It escapes me right now. Each week it was a different mystery.

Those were the days.
Intersanktom(bad spelling) The Shadow and my mind just went blank, but I also loved Ma and Pa Kettle..great times
Weren't the 3 shows a week Mannix Perry Mason and then there was Columbo
Old 08-02-2010, 05:13 PM

There's a new(?) network here in Dallas-Fort Worth broadcast called RTV. Retro TV. It has shows like Airwolf, I Spy, Rockford Files, Dragnet, Dr. Welby, Knight Rider, and Magnum PI is on right now. Hot Tom Selleck. Gotta go watch.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM

If I hear an Elvis song, an old TV show with him or see an Elvis movie, I'm transformed back to the (I think late 50s & 60s). The Ed Sullivan Show was his first TV debut, the Jail House Rock & Hound Dog songs & his Hawaiian movies were all glorious to us. Living here in the South, older folks didn't like his moves, but the kids/teens over-ruled, so the music stayed. We'd ride around when we got old enough in cars with WLS Chicago blaring all the tunes of the 60s. We didn't turn out too bad, did we?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by countrymaid
The one I remember is Capt. Kangaroo and Mr. GreenJeans. We had a black and white TV with an 8 inch screen. It sat in the corner of the kitchen. We also had Rocketship 7 with Promo the robot. You had to live in the Buffalo, NY TV market to know that one.
I was raised in Buffalo.. Boy do I remember Rocketship seven.
Promo was a really low budget robot.
Do you remember Dialing for Dollars?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM

If I'm lucky enough to find a rerun of The Mary Tyler Moore Show it immediately reminds me of being single, having my own apartment in New York. We all wanted to be Mary but in truth we were all more Rhoda! The popularity of that show made it cool to be 30 and unmarried.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Dee

SO many many bring back memories. Thats when the shows wer wholesome funny and real acting.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm a little behind on reading and just saw this stream. I just read the whole list and I must be really OLD or just strange. I remember rushing home from grade school to watch old old reruns of Shirley Temple movies. I remember the first episode of "Lost...IN...Space....." I loved that show. Later as a teen I also loved to race home to see Dark Shaddows w/mom as well. She was starting to collect the DVD's just before she passed on. 4 years ago. I haven't had the nerve to pull any out to rewatch, afraid I may break into tears missing her. Good times back then even though the show's acting and set was as crappy as it gets. My DH turned me into a treckie as well.