Do you Spring Clean ?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM

when younger i use to clean house top to bottom in spring--all floors,ceiling, walls, windows and woodwork got washed down, all closets emptied and sorted. kids hated it and still talk about how rotten it was. The years have passed, i've gotten older and cant do as much anymore. The house could stand one of those old time cleanings but it still a long ways from being showcased on Hoarders.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Not really. I have gotten rid of lots of clutter so the cleaning isn't that hard. I keep a bag to donate and try to put things in it on a regular basis so things don't get out of hand. I figure if I keep it up and do something "special" every once in a while (like wipe the tops of the doors and frames) that is enough for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM

I guess the most honest answer is .. not nearly as much as I should !
Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 PM

The Redo sounds like a good reason for a thorough cleaning, but I clean when I get the urge ... and when I clean thoroughly, I purge and reorganize. I do a touch-up (vacuuming and dusting) every day or so because I have a dog, but even then not everything gets dusted. I just have too much stuff to and to many "I-want-to's" to spend time doing lots of cleaning. I also live alone and have few visitors. I like my little nest!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I used to and since I have improved health, plan on getting stuck in and revitalising and refreshing our home. I am no minimalist, but need to do some serious sorting and tossing. Amazing how much gets accumulated "on the quiet". I am a real collector....but have been watching Hoarders of late...and it truly scares the dickens out of me. So watch out spiders and dust dinosaurs...I'm on the move!

I think it's great you are organising your home to suit your needs....so many people don't, and it really is a waste of resources. Many rooms are left "just for show", which is really quite silly when you think about it.
when I see clutter start building up,etc I watch a few episodes of hoarders and start cleaning and tossing.That show is my jump start so I never get that bad.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM

I used to do spring cleaning but any more I only have the energy for regular cleaning. I do have spurts of energy and I take that and quilt.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM

This year is seeing the hiring of a housekeeper! We have a storage customer that is behind in her rent, and I am paying some of her rent in exchange for help with the house...

It's interesting....and hard to let her "just clean"....I'm pretty attached to my "stuff" and some of it's pretty fragile! LOL I'm going to get better tho...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Yes I do spring, fall and holiday cleaning each year. It helps keep down the clutter, plus makes you feel so good for awhile. Most of the time, I'm lazy, giving the house a lick and a promise. This year I can tell I'm slowing down, it's taking me much longer to get the deep cleaning finished. My spring cleaning may run into the fall. To be honest - I'd rather QUILT
Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM

I used to. Does that count? I used to do a whole house overhaul twice a year -- fall & spring. Now I do good to keep a couple of paths cleared thru the center of the house... LOL!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Great idea to use your home how it suits you! My mother-in-law used to spend one whole week on each room. I cleaned everything twice a year but now, in retirement and a much smaller place I go thru EVERYTHING and declutter once a year. I empty out closets and drawers - clean and then only put back what we use. ahhh it feels so good. AND then I am ready to sew again :-)