Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you welcome the newcomers ? >

Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mymsmess
The guild I joined is kinda odd too. The firstand second time I went, I felt welcomed. On the second meeting I went ahewad and payed my $20.00 dues. My 3rd meeting was last month and not a soul sayed hello! I am seeing they all have there little clicks in this guild. My next meeting is next Monday evening. If I don't feel comfortable then, I WILL WALK OUT!
........and ASK for your money to be refunded due to "ill will of membership"
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I'm like you, I would have left.
me too.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM

i was in a guild for a while, but stop going .i was not comfortable either
Old 09-18-2011, 03:44 PM

I have been in 3 different quilt groups in 3 different states and for the most part, all were the same.

You will probably find that this is the best quilt group to belong to.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM

Maybe that is the way the midwest is ... I have been there before... how far are you from cape girardeau?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM

[quote=jaciqltznok]
Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
I went to a local quilt guild meeting for the first time last night expecting to have a great time. It was held in a large gym full of women. Signed in as a visitor and was not welcomed by the lady sitting there. Told it cost $20 to join the guild and I said I was just a visitor tonight. Went to find a seat and one lady talked to me. Others sat in front of me and others sat behind me and beside me. Talked all around me and no-one said a word to me even though I was wearing the sticker announcing my visitor status. They did announce my name with others and I raised my hand to show where I was sitting. Still no welcome from anyone or any attempt to be friendly. The lady sitting next to me was making rude remarks about the lady doing the FQ raffle, making fun of her voice. Heard others making remarks also that were not kind. I could not hear much of all because of the room acoustics. At break time, I quietly got up and left. Not my kind of quilt guild at all. I tried talking to the woman next to me but she was not interested at all. I am wondering what I should have done to have had a better experience......
I am sorry you had this experience. But sadly it is the NORM in many areas! Here in my local group it is JUST like that. I personally welcome NEW faces, but the others could not care less if they are in the room, UNLESS it a friend/family member of one of the elite members! I have seen many a new faces that only come once...it is really sad!

I hope you find the right place for you![/quote

Somehow this is just why I have not joined any groups or guilds. Small groups of friends getting together - fine, but "organized" club (which is just my word for them) with dues and rules generally tend to get catty. I stay away from them...sorry.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM

I"m sorry this happened to you. Maybe give it a second chance, I can't understand how members can talk so rude, I know that I wouldn't want to belong to something like that. My guild is small(25) members ,so we welcome all we can get.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM

I am joining a guild in October.I am a little anxious about meeting new people and want to know if there are any words of wisdom you folks can give me....
I am excited about being part of a group of quilters.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 AM
mim

Morag, please let us know how it was.

I went to a charity bridge game on Friday and had a discussion about friendly vs cold and "not nice" groups. I guess all types of groups are a lot alike -- At the risk of getting tossed out of a group, I wonder how many of us would dare to stand up and talk about this issue.
Mim

Originally Posted by Morag
I am joining a guild in October.I am a little anxious about meeting new people and want to know if there are any words of wisdom you folks can give me....
I am excited about being part of a group of quilters.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks Mim, I'll let you know :)