Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you welcome the newcomers ? >

Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 PM

You know, I really like people and when I meet visitors, I try to talk to them and make them feel welcome to our guild. Some visitors are open to this and others say "hi" and then walk off. So it can go both ways. Please give them another chance, and don't be afraid to walk around and introduce yourself to the members. I know there are cliques in all groups, but I learned if I wanted to be accepted, I had to realize that I needed to be open and receptive. Sorry you had a bad experience, but next time, go, and pretend you are a princess or a secret celebrity and know you are important. If you join the guild, ask if you could join a committee and thereby get to know others. Life is too short to be miffed about a rebuff. Smile, and be your natural sweet self, and soon you will have people coming to you! Wishing you many friends, and God's blessings. Roberta
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM

That kind of stuff is why I have not joined a guild. The ones around here seem to need an invitation to join. If you don't know anyone how do you get an invite.

The other thing you might have done is join the other newcomers and see if that makes a difference for you. It really doesn't sound much like the regulars you were with are too great. It is too bad that people have to be so mean.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 AM

No excuses, bad manners are bad manners. Hope you find a friendlier group to join.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 AM

Wow!! How sad to encounter rude quilters. I would not join this group. There are many others out there. I don't belong to a guild, just get togther with friends monthly that I have met through my local shop. Keep searching.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Sounds like you can do without that guild. I was asked to join our local guild but when I tried to contact the person in charge of new members -- I emailed her twice -- I got no response at all. I'd really love to joint a guild but not that one. I guess I'll continue to be a solitary quilter. But I feel like I'm missing so much. That is the only guild in my area.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by zazulka
Wow!! How sad to encounter rude quilters. I would not join this group. There are many others out there. I don't belong to a guild, just get togther with friends monthly that I have met through my local shop. Keep searching.
I love your avatar.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 AM

I feel like this is a quilt guild of sorts, and it is friendly and accepting of all.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
Originally Posted by mojo11
Why do some people have to be sooooo rude?
I don't think they're being rude in most cases; I think they're simply not paying attention.
NO. That was rude.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM

That sounds like my Quilt Guild experiences too. I did a trunk show the first of the month and really liked this Guild. I am thinking about joining, but only after I visit a couple of times to see how I am recieved as a member and not a guest.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

You should have come to our guild. We have a nice group of women. We always have fun. We make a big deal about our guests. Even if they don't know anyone elce in the group. Sorry you weren't made more welcome.