Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone out there also sew non quilting items? >

Does anyone out there also sew non quilting items?

Does anyone out there also sew non quilting items?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I used to make clothes for the kids when they were small....and I loved doing dollclothes.
---------------------------
Me too. I made the dolls themselves from fabric, and dressed them in late Victorian style, bustles and leg'O Mutton sleeves and all the decorations that went with that era. Hats I loved to make, with half a flower garden on them and birds and butterflies, etc. Little girls were charmed to get them and several still have them after all these years.

As for myself, the most comfortable dress i've ever worn was a copy I'd made of my aunt's 1920s flapper dress, that fell from the shoulders to the knees with flowing bands down the back from the shoulders. Lovely, soft and comfy. Got too much attention for every day though!!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 AM

Right now I'm remaking two window curtains for the service porch, to include thick interlining for warmth. I've just noticed that they let in a lot of cold since our ugly weather started. 
Then I have some pants to hem since I'm kinda short, always some small mending to do to keep it from becoming a big job later.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 AM

Upholstery, knitting socks, sewing dolls and slipcovers, drawing, etc., then I started quilting and joining this board andit has become most of my time :o) (loving it)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 AM

I LOVE to do it ALL!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:39 AM

I think I was born with a needle in my hand. I was sewing doll clothes when I was very small. I have made prom and bridesmaid dresses. I worked in a Bridal shop and in a Pennys alterations department. I cross stitch, crochet, and I have an embroidery machine. I love it all. Quilting is my favorite these days.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Yes, costumes for plays and medeviel fairs, men's shirts, dolls and purses. Moosegirl
Old 03-04-2011, 05:36 AM

I think that I have made just about everything. I use to sew for my kids, I sew now for grandkids. I make Valances all the time for Kitchen, I could change them every week and sometimes I do. I have just made drapes for Living Room and working on bedroom drapes to match a quilt that I am making. I have sewn for Dry Cleaners and for a T-Shirt Co. made school jackets. Sewing is relaxing to me. If I have alot of new fabric I can't sleep, all I can think of is what am I going to make or can't wait to get started. Love It!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 AM

oh yes, I have been sewing since about 4th grade. I did industrial sewing, mens jeans, and also did custom drapes. I sewed for my children when they were small. I am in the process of making some valances, for 3 windows, and am looking for a pattern, on the style I want. I have 2 large windows, and 1 normal size one. Does anyone have a good place to buy a pattern? I usually make my own, but want these to be perfect. Thanks for any ideas!
I made these for my female wire fox terrier this week. I will make her tops to match.

front view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158936[/ATTACH]

back view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158937[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158931.jpe   attachment-158932.jpe  
Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 AM

I just finished sewing 50 pillowcases for the Million pillowcase challenge, I make purses, Santa dolls, gingerbread dolls, window treatments, and clothes for my g-baby Isabella. I also repair clothes for the men I work with and in turn they come to my house and fix ANYTHING that is broken
Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 AM

I ALWAYS make my own curtains and window treatments.
And upholster my furniture and sew clothing and slippers and knit etc. etc. etc.
Quilting keeps me sane over the winter as I can't GARDEN in Canada.
Mary Katherine