Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't anyone use proofreaders anymore?

I looked up the definition of 'brought' because I use the word as it is used in your example sentence. Per the definition, 'brought' is used correctly in the example sentence.

One of the definitions of brought: to carry, convey, or take (something or someone) to a designated place or person

However, there were 8 other definitions on the site I used to look it up.

A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

There, their and there...
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I don't think language arts is going out of style. In the STEM fields, you have to be able to write your work/ideas in a manner that others can easily understand.

Never thought about the word 'lots' like that. Looked it up - as an adverb, lots means: a great deal. There are several not plot definitions for 'lots', too.

English is so confusing!

Their bosses wrote them. I think they might be the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    There, their and there...
    Cathy, did you mean "there, their and they're"?

Do they still teach diagramming of sentences in school? I still diagram in my head. I had a teacher who used to make it into a game - girls vs. boys. Guess that wouldn't fly nowadays.

It has become so commonplace for people to spell check, but they do not check grammar. Therefore, the system the person is using may not catch the wrong word, because it is the "wright" word (spelled correctly, wrong usage) and since the system didn't flag it, the person's brain (if they are proofreading it) accepts it as the right word.

We have gotten lazy in teaching proper grammar and word usage. Sometimes, the wrong word will slip through, when texting a message or writing anything on a computer, because of spell check apps that are not grammar apps and a person hitting send without really reading what they typed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PAMAR View Post
    Do they still teach diagramming of sentences in school? I still diagram in my head. I had a teacher who used to make it into a game - girls vs. boys. Guess that wouldn't fly nowadays.
    I've often wondered the same thing. It's one of those things you wonder if you'll ever use when you're young but realize how important it is when you're older.

I still have trouble with who and whom. Got bring and take down pretty well, although I don't think about it much.

"Should I take the car in to the mechanic's?"

"Yes, he said 'Bring it in today.'"

My youngest son has five (5) Masters Degrees and he can't spell (as my mother would have said) sh** without adding 2 t's. lol

Blog Entries
    Well one of my pet peeves is the overuse of the words amazing and awesome. I think there is lack of vocabulary. Just throwing in my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    ptquilts, every time I read the newspaper I feel like taking a red felt pen and circling all the grammar errors and typos.... nice to know I'm not the only one. and I figured out how to shut off the auto correct on my ipad, it was just too annoying. Sometimes when I type I make a mistake and I'm okay with that; but for the machine to be telling me what I must be trying to say was a little too much.
    Oh, I so agree with you. When I read the newspaper, the church bulletin, meeting minutes, etc., I keep wondering who, if anyone, proofread it. It bugs me, especially when a baseball announcer says "The score is tied 0 to 0." If it's 0 to 0, there is no score.

Blog Entries
    advice, advise
    me, myself, I
    border, boarder

I suppose we all have our pet peeves. I hate seeing people use 'loose' when they mean 'lose'. Someone already mentioned the boarder vs border. I have a friend who constantly uses 'mute' when she really means 'moot'. I really have to bite my tongue not to correct her. The one that really drives me nuts, though, are emails that read along the lines of "How r u?" I understand text messages were once charged differently, but I think most have unlimited text and my phone provides auto-fill. I always feel like just deleting those messages with no response.

After saying all that, I recognize that I'm not the world's leading expert on spelling or grammar but it seems to me that some people don't even try.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
    One of the grammatical errors that drives me crazy is the misuse of "brought". Ex: I brought my sewing machine to the shop. It should be "I took my machine to the shop." I, too, spot all the errors in the paper; even the large type headlines are not exempt. I did teach language arts for a hundred years and do know the rules!!!
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that one. What is the correct usage for "brought"?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

There were 8 definitions of brought on the web site I looked at. So the correct definition depends on the context that the word is being used in.

When i first read your post, I thought that you might have meant 'bought', not 'brought', as 'bought' is frequently used when 'brought' should be used.

Yup. Proves I'm not perfect, right? Not that that needed proving...

Spelling - I think people are born able to spell or not able to spell. I never had to work at spelling, but my sister had to study, study, study to pass a spelling test. My son would get all the right letters for a word, but rarely in the right order. My middle and youngest daughter never had a lick of trouble with spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMAR View Post
    I loved diagramming sentences. I still do it too, in my head. It helps the sentence make sense.
    Another one used incorrectly on here very much is advise and advice. When I give you advice, I advise you. Advice is the noun and advise is a verb. Do kids know anything about that anymore? How you pronounce them is strange, too. Advice has the ice in it and it sounds like ice. But advise sounds like it has a "z" in it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    There were 8 definitions of brought on the web site I looked at. So the correct definition depends on the context that the word is being used in.

When i first read your post, I thought that you might have meant 'bought', not 'brought', as 'bought' is frequently used when 'brought' should be used.
    I have a friend who drives me NUTS by always saying she "brought" something when she means "bought". I mean, really!! Small children know the difference....
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I'm with Katybob ---the use of apostrophes when they're not needed drives me crazy! Case in point - on your foot you wear a shoe. What you buy at the shoe store is a pair of shoes, not "shoe's"! (Spell checker wanted my sentence to say " show" store!)
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that one. What is the correct usage for "brought"?
    You use bring if you are physically in the place where the thing is travelling to. You use take if you are moving it from where you are when you speak.

"Bring that baby over here."
    "I'm taking him into the other room."

Another pet peeve is borrow for lend. I first heard this with a co-worker from Sweden. OK, I gave him a pass, English as a second language. But I have heard many native English speakers doing the same thing. "Can you borrow me $10?"

It is too bad that writers let the autocorrect do their work and then they forget about such things as homonyms. My advice, as a former English teacher, is for those contemplating a writing career, to read, read, read and read some more in order to educate themselves as to how literature "feels" as well as looks. We'll never win this battle, but I can hope, can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Funny, I doubt if he even know how to thread a sewing machine.
    But he sure knows how to needle people!
    ​Jumpin' Judy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast