"Drive-By Surgery"

Old 06-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Romanojg - I am sooooo sorry for you and all your family. I'm sure the pain and hurt you are suffering can not be measured. I could hardly read this, my heart is crying for you.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM

15 years ago I was in a auto accident, rear ended by someone not paying attention (on cell phone). I had to stay in the hospital almost a week and a half. The first week was to stay and be monitored before surgery would be preformed.
A few years later I had gall bladder surgery, went in at 7 am was out my 5 pm the same day.

My ex-daughter in law had knee surgery twice and was in and out the same day. My father had at least 3 hernia operations while I was growing up, his hospital stay was at least a week each time. Not to mention his stays when he would almost amputate the same two fingers at least every two years. Dad was a journeyman Machinist and when he cleaned his lathe of metal scraps some would get wrapped around either middle finger and cut it to the bone.

In the county hospital where I grew up, if you didn't have insurance your stay was less a friend told me. I don't know if that is true or not. When I was 16 and ready to give birth to my oldest son (he will be 40 this year), I was in the hospital for 2 weeks the bill came to around 10 grand my insurance company said. When my youngest was born 18 years ago, the bill was 25k for 3 days and that included a c-section.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Another RN chiming in. Get home ASAP! Hospitals are not the place to recover in general.
My husband had a ruptured appendix last year and spent 9 days in the hospital- 4 of them in ICU. It was horrendous.
He developed sepsis. The good thing was that once he started to recover he rebounded very quickly.
The sepsis wasn't from being in the hospital by the way. It was from the rupture. But it was a nightmarish experience.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

57 years ago my hospital stay after giving birth was down to two days instead of five to seven because we did not have insurance coverage.

Baby and I did okay, in spite of going home "early".
Old 06-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
57 years ago my hospital stay after giving birth was down to two days instead of five to seven because we did not have insurance coverage.

Baby and I did okay, in spite of going home "early".
Home early? I asked to go home as soon as possible after birth, both times being home within six hours. So much nicer sleeping in your bed and showering in your own bathroom!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:09 PM

My mom used to talk about when my brothers were born, long ago, she had to stay in the hospital for two weeks. These were both normal births. The moms were kept on complete bedrest the entire time and when she got up and went home she was "weak as a cat". So when I came along she talked her doctor in to a home birth which she had and all was well, 3 hour labor. Although, doctor said that was the last home birth he was doing. I'm thinking already at that time, liability issues must have been on the rise. I agree with the other RNs comments- the sooner you are out, the better. That being said, you do need lots of support at home for this to work well and a good rapport with your doctor and staff.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I prefer to go home as soon as possible. Always better to recover at home.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing. A few years ago a hockey player had his appendix out on a Monday, and was playing on Friday. I think that's pushing it.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM

My last foot surgery required 3 days in the hospital. I told the doctor I wasn't going to the hospital at all - he could do it in the surgery center and I'd go home as soon as I was coherent. Hospitals are for sick people, IMO. He let me do so - this wasn't our first surgery together. I was home by early afternoon and did just fine. Though I couldn't talk my way out of 13 weeks casted. Grr.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 PM

When I had bilateral mastectomies I was in and out the same day. I slept for 7 nights in a recliner because it was too hard for me to get in and out of a bed. My friend was ready to take on the doctor for releasing me on the same day - but I knew about what can happen in hospitals.

But when I had my total hysterectomy two years ago I was in the hospital for 4 days - but that was because I was throwing up and not passing enough fluids. I was so ready to go home, the last meal they brought me was baked salmon. I have a slight allergy to fish - not sure why but it makes my mouth feel like its on fire. If I eat fish with mayo or tartar sauce it neutralizes the problem but there wasn't either to go with it. I didn't want to tell them I couldn't eat it so my DH was there and I asked him to eat it for me. I ate most of everything else on the plate. I didn't throw up and the doctor let me leave. When I told my family doctor about it he laughed - said I should have asked them to bring me something else, but I
just wanted to go home.