"Drive-By Surgery"

Old 06-17-2018, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Default "Drive-By Surgery"

I am totally amazed at how quickly people are released/sent home after having surgery now-a-days.

Our great nephew (age 18) had surgery(appendectomy) at 8 AM yesterday and was home for his graduation party at 1 PM!

Our son (age 54) also had an appendectomy last month and was sent home the same day.

I remember when even "simple" surgeries were worth a week's stay in the hospital.

Overall - do you think that being sent home very soon after surgery is a benefit to the patient?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Insurance is running the show, but technology has advanced so much in the last decade. My lung cancer and breast cancer surgeries were both in and out the same day. Dr. Say said if I'd had the lung cancer even 4 years eariler, I'd be in ICU for three days then hospital another 3 or 4.

Amazing times we live in.

And people can and do get sick picking up the virulent germs in hospital. Mersa comes to mind.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:25 AM

This isn't a good thing. My grandson was born with a club foot, he was a preemie but had no problems when he was born. At about 6 mos he had a growing spurt and they decided they would need to do the surgery before he had another one. He got to the hospital around 8 and was back home before 10, 3 days later we lost him. There was an issue with the meds they gave him but didn't pay attention when we called and he wasn't going to the bathroom or drinking. They said to keep on giving him his meds and he'd be ok. Well he wasn't, all of that medicine stayed in him. It's a loss that I don't know if I'll ever get over. It was hard enough when we lost our granddaughter at age 18 when she got 2 rare blood disorders, at least she was in the hospital and they tried to save her. My grandson has a twin that misses his brother. We keep him alive and make sure his brother knows him. He calls him his angel brother. With him being a preemie he should have never been let out of the hospital so soon. I work at that same hospital and have a doctor who has been an advocate for him. He has went to the head of the hospital and made sure this was addressed and even let us know that the rules have changed due to what happened and especially preemies are watched more carefully. This is the only doctor we will let see my little grandson. He has told his nurse if we call to make sure we get an appointment with him. That doesn't help with the on going pain we all feel but at least it may save another baby and my little man has a great doctor to fight and take care of him.

I had minor foot surgery and was kept in the hospital longer than my grandson, I had a colonoscopy and was kept longer, things need to change. Not everyone should go home as soon as they are. I do agree, it probably is an insurance thing. My grandson was on Medicaid. Its sad to think the money is more important than lives.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:33 AM

As a critical care, trauma, and open heart surgery RN, the least amount of time in a hospital the better the outcome and avoidance of nosocomial infections - infections acquired at the hospital. The longer one stays in the hospital the greater chance to acquire an infection. Treatments, interventions, and surgeries have changed based on evidence based practice and academic research over the years. Patients are kept as inpatients when needed. In my experience, the decision of the healthcare team outweighs any insurance requirement for the best interest of the patient. Just because someone was in the hospital for 2 weeks years ago doesn’t necessarily mean it was the right thing to do not best practice.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:24 AM

From an RN's perspective, I agree patients are being discharged sooner. Yes, insurance is a part of it but the risk of nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infections is also a big factor. Just imagine going in for an appendectomy, staying for a few days only to pick up an infection requiring IV antibiotics, delayed recovery, other possible complications, etc.

We're generally safer and better off recovering at home rather than in the hospital.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
As a critical care, trauma, and open heart surgery RN, the least amount of time in a hospital the better the outcome and avoidance of nosocomial infections - infections acquired at the hospital. The longer one stays in the hospital the greater chance to acquire an infection. Treatments, interventions, and surgeries have changed based on evidence based practice and academic research over the years. Patients are kept as inpatients when needed. In my experience, the decision of the healthcare team outweighs any insurance requirement for the best
interest of the patient. Just because someone was in the hospital for 2 weeks years ago doesn’t necessarily mean it was the right thing to do not best practice.
I totally agree with this. Evidence based medicine should always win over insurance. Hospitals can be dangerous places.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:51 AM

I had gall bladder surgery 20 yrs. ago. They were just starting the "new " surgery. Puncture wounds and go home the same day. I made the dr. promise me that if everything was okay I could go home!!! The nurses couldn't believe that I wanted to go home. I drank liquids, puddled, and wanted to get out of there. I didn't take any pain meds after going home. I'm a retired RN, and knew that the sooner you get out of the hospital the less chance of infection, and the better you feel. I do agree that some surgeries need to stay in the hospital longer, everything should be based on the individual !!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
As a critical care, trauma, and open heart surgery RN, the least amount of time in a hospital the better the outcome and avoidance of nosocomial infections - infections acquired at the hospital. The longer one stays in the hospital the greater chance to acquire an infection. Treatments, interventions, and surgeries have changed based on evidence based practice and academic research over the years. Patients are kept as inpatients when needed. In my experience, the decision of the healthcare team outweighs any insurance requirement for the best interest of the patient. Just because someone was in the hospital for 2 weeks years ago doesn’t necessarily mean it was the right thing to do not best practice.
totally agree with this
Old 06-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
This isn't a good thing. My grandson was born with a club foot, he was a preemie but had no problems when he was born. At about 6 mos he had a growing spurt and they decided they would need to do the surgery before he had another one. He got to the hospital around 8 and was back home before 10, 3 days later we lost him. There was an issue with the meds they gave him but didn't pay attention when we called and he wasn't going to the bathroom or drinking. They said to keep on giving him his meds and he'd be ok. Well he wasn't, all of that medicine stayed in him. It's a loss that I don't know if I'll ever get over. It was hard enough when we lost our granddaughter at age 18 when she got 2 rare blood disorders, at least she was in the hospital and they tried to save her. My grandson has a twin that misses his brother. We keep him alive and make sure his brother knows him. He calls him his angel brother. With him being a preemie he should have never been let out of the hospital so soon. I work at that same hospital and have a doctor who has been an advocate for him. He has went to the head of the hospital and made sure this was addressed and even let us know that the rules have changed due to what happened and especially preemies are watched more carefully. This is the only doctor we will let see my little grandson. He has told his nurse if we call to make sure we get an appointment with him. That doesn't help with the on going pain we all feel but at least it may save another baby and my little man has a great doctor to fight and take care of him.

I had minor foot surgery and was kept in the hospital longer than my grandson, I had a colonoscopy and was kept longer, things need to change. Not everyone should go home as soon as they are. I do agree, it probably is an insurance thing. My grandson was on Medicaid. Its sad to think the money is more important than lives.
I am so sorry for your loss. This is really tragic loss. When you called in for help, you should have been listened to. You and your family have my prayers.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:09 AM

I had a colon resection about 8 years ago and was surprised when I was kept for 5 days. I really expected to be there no longer than overnight at most. Remember the days when we were kept in hosp for childbirth for days. 5 days was routine when I was having kids.