"Drive-By Surgery"

Old 06-18-2018, 03:53 AM

In 2000 I was hit by a car, my leg was broken below my knee and my ACL was ripped. It was operated on and I was in a cast halfway up my thigh. They told me I would be going home the next day. I told them I was not. They said yes, I said no. I developed a slight temperature (what they didn't know was that my normal temperature was a little higher than most). They sent me home three days later via ambulance due to the steps going up to my home.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 AM

I just had my second knee replacement. It is now outpatient surgery. It was done with an epidural and I was just barely asleep.(like for a colonoscopy). Surgery was at 8:00 AM and by 12:00 I was walking the halls in the hospital. I was able to come home in 23 hours. Loved it. My other knee was 3 years ago, it was general anesthesia and a 3 day stay. I do feel that sometimes they are releasing patients too quickly but it is better to go home.
Insurance does rule a lot of medicine any more. It would be nice if it was easier for doctors to decide when patients should be released then insurance decide.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 AM

The sooner you get home the safer you are, from another critical care RN, retired.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:35 AM

I think there are circumstances when you should stay longer but personally, I want to go home asap. I am afraid of the problems you can have if you stay longer...like staff infections and mersa, etc.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

With MERSA and C-dif ( as well as any other number of germs) easily contracted in the hospitals I would think it to the patient’s benefit as long as they are going to a clean home with a family member to keep an eye on them. On the other hand the insurance company is worried about the $$ more than the patient. So, it is a catch-22.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 AM

My DH used to be a security guard at a hospital. He was sick all the time. When they had problems with someone in the ER he didn't have time to gown up and glove up. The problem had to be dealt with immediately. After he left the hospital he didn't have problems with being sick a lot. The less time spent in a hospital, the better off you are. IMHO
Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing. A few years ago a hockey player had his appendix out on a Monday, and was playing on Friday. I think that's pushing it.
I definitely think it is a good thing to go home as soon as possible. However that being said, just because you are released from the hospital doesn't mean you are "well". Depending on the circumstances you still are not back to 100% back to normal. Things inside your body are still healing for weeks after surgery. I don't think that was a wise move on the hockey player.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

my son is 50 and I had no insurance. but paid the Doctor and Hospital out of my savings. i stayed four or five days. good thing too, husband took that time to find us a place to live!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 AM

It's only a benefit to the hospital. I hate it. Especially after having a baby. My dad who was an old fashioned Doctor always commented that a day in the hospital for a new mom is worth a week at home. They need the recovery time. He would be amazed at the new hospitals with no nursery. All infants stay in the room with mom.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I got staff so bad, my neck turned blackish.
my first spinal surgery, they wanted me out by lunch. My lawyer called them and I stayed in for 8 days. funny thing was, I could barely walk when I was let out. they sent me home with no pain meds. this dr. screwed up badly, when I did walk, I dragged my leg behind me and used a walker. thry rush you out way too soon now a days