E-Readers

Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM

If you want to try out the different versions, I know that at least Kindle and Nook software can be downloaded for free to your computer. there are thousands of free books that can be downloaded as well.[/quote]

Where do I find the software to download to try?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 AM

I have a pandigital reader they are sold at Best buys I opted for the 9 inch screen for $169 it has so many extra features like an I Pad for a lot less money It is in color also I have gotten many free books from Barnes and Noble on it plus they sell many budget books. I am disabled and have to spend many days in bed so it is wonderful that I can read surf the web e mail ect all from the bed or couch. have only had it for about 3 months but have never had any problems with it
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 AM

My sweet husband gave me a Kindle for Christmas this past year and I love it. My daughter gave me a great cover for it. I would not use one with out a cover. I am sure I would break it. But I have read more with this then I ever did with actual books. I have a lot of books though, so what do I do with all those, LOL.

What I like most about my Kindle that I never had with actual books is finding new authors. There are so many ebooks out there that were never actually published as real books. Publishers are super picky and sometimes will only publish known authors. But with the Kindle lots of new authors are getting a chance. I just finished a book called Origins by J.A. Konrath. I loved it, it was different and strange, but so fun. The author said that he has tried to get it published for years and got good feed back, but he was not a known author so it was not published till recently I guess. I think this happens with a lot of authors.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Katia, great info!! I didn't know that!!
Thank you :)
Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 AM

I have not purchased one yet as I, too, borrow many books from our library. Though Kindle does not yet work with library books, I heard on the news that they are working to reach an agreement with whomever (not very techie as you can see) so libraries can be equipped to download to Kindle as we as B&N Nook.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 AM

I also have a kindle (3G and wi-fi). I love everything about it. I download books from Amazon and can download also to my smartphone. I have compared my Kindle to the Nook and I am sure that I have made the right decision. I don't have the color that the Nook has, but I do not need color to read a book. The main reason for getting a Kindle in the first place was that with my maturing eyes, I could not read a "real book" for very long, but with the size adjustment for the fonts, I have no problem.

Get online and read what other people say in the FAQs for both Kindle and the others. That makes for a great comparison.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM

I have a Nook and my husband has a Sony Reader, we like both of them.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 AM

I received both the Nook and the Kindle as Christmas gifts. The Nook went back and I kept the Kindle and love it. There is a site to download free books that you can use with both units. I love mine. It makes long waits in doctor's office bearable.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I have a Kindle and love it. I started having problems with the battery not fully charging and called them. They are sending me a new Kindle overnight and paperwork for me to send my Kindle back to them. They pay postage. Any electronic can have problems but the customer service I got was over and above. I am very impressed.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks to ALL I'm gonna go play with them both and tell the hubby what mom wants for her day! Again thanks for your info. Pam