Extra income?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Great thread. I've been looking for something from home that doesn't require fixed hours - probably computer based. I have 2 elderly parents and need my time to stay flexible. I'd love to hear some ideas. I just can't think of anything.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM

I've sold for over ten years on ebay but haven't done much recently because of the fees and the fact that paypal takes a big chunck too (wondering if everyone realizes they are "double dipping" - owned by the same company).

I do have a studio on ArtFire and sell things there every once in a while there is a link under my signature. We have had really good luck on Craigslist (both buying and selling) so we do that too. Recently moved to a new area and will be "stocking" up on things to hopefully participate in the holiday fairs.

We've had a website for years selling electronics but haven't done anything there in the past couple of years so I convinced my DH to let me revamp it and fill it with sewing stuff (I've probably collected over 500 clothing patterns and have lots and lots of books and cross stitch pamphlets :-|)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM

aarp.org has info for part time and also seasonal jobs. This is a good time of the year to sign up for working at parks, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

I let my bachelor brother come live with me(windowed). This gives me a little more flexibility with my income. My daughter house sits for several people and takes care of there pets. She make about $25. a day. They all love her.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I live just off 127 and will be getting things together to setup and sell during the 127 yard sale. The people in front of me have a huge setup every year and rent spaces, so the people are already there buying and there is lots of parking space in front of my place.
ewwww...I've always wanted to do this but live too far......oh well....
Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 PM

I am saving up Amazon gift cards for Christmas. On another board I go to, there was a tread about a search and win site. I signed up and have just over $130 at Amazon. I get about $25 to $30 a month. Not much, but it will buy DD the Kindle she wants for Christmas.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Another site that was mentioned there is called ChaCha. I think it works by people texting questions and you looking up the answers for them. Not sure if that is the right name or not. Some did quite good. I never did sign up and don't remember what you need to do to sign up.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM

I have done craft shows for years but was unable to the last 2 years due to family problems but am getting back to it this year. Have started building my inventory. I found that you need more than one or two items when doing schools and churches. I usually have things for all ages and some items I can afford to give away to that child that wants to buy mommy or daddy a present but only has a penny, nickle, or dime. I also like to have magnets with messages, sometimes someone comes by so sad and something tells you to give them a certain message. God does work in strange ways.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM

You can join Avon, Jafra, or Mary Kay for little to nothing and sell to friends, neighbors. I have been in the skin care and make up products for years. Where you start making your money, is the repeat business. I wanted a couple of hundred dollars extra a month and ended up making 3 timess that much and had a lot of fun. It got me out of the house for a few hours each week for my sanity and gave me a lot of friends. Women love to play in make up and leave beautiful at the end of the party, and we did party. Pretty much have given it up as I enjoy the grandkids too much now, but it was a lot of fun, and I got my product at a nice reduced rate too.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM

[quote=thequiltmama]We occasionally do what they call "flip" a car. Buy a car cheap, fixed it and resell it for a profit.
----------------------
One thing you MUST do the very day you sell a car. Rush down to the DMV and fill out a form for Release Of Liability. This takes your name off the title. It'll ask for details on the car plus milage, etc. My sister sold her older, well running car to a young man, and a few weeks later got a registered letter from a lawyer, wanting bundles of money for his clients, for a new car, hospitalization, pain and suffering and every other thing his sharp mind could think of. She wrote back to check with the DMV, that she had gone down that very day and HANDED the form to a DMV worker. She never heard from him again. The young man had had the accident and claimed he had simply borrowed it. Maybe he had the accident and simply bailed out and ran!!