Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Memories of My Cats >

Favorite Memories of My Cats

Favorite Memories of My Cats

Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

We have had catsvin the side I can remember, several Siamese, Burmese a long haied Tom named Midget who was huge,and now a gray tabby who is a small time thief and a Tonkinese that is my love. Dove the tabby has been caught stealing hard caries outnof my purse, LOVES shiny things and has hidden my tweezers, earrings sewing bobbins binding clips, and for her safety I do not leave out pins. She try's to separate them from the fabric. Everything goes in a drawer when in out of view. She has me trained! She ruined a lovely pair of gold earrings, gold hoops that went missing. Found them later that day under a throw rug with fang marks piercing the hoop! It was my fault though, i KNEW when I took them off the evening before, I had the thought not to leave them on the bath sink. The very next morning I noticed right away one was gone and I had messed up. She was a stray given to me to rescue after being flung in a car engine.bat that time the vet thought she was Bout 6 weeks. She is a year now and a talker. Hershey the boy is about 4 and his breed loves to snuggle. He kisses me, moves to my pillows when I get up to sleep in a bit more and follows me like he is a puppy.not a talker but has a deep rumbling purr. He crawls up to my shoulder to kiss my ear and nuzzle. He has been a real gentleman with the kitten. He had a litter mate, Godiva , that died young so he was used to another cat. I could go on and on but I'll stop now.I do still laugh about the earring, in fact I kept them. I eventually did find Doveys stash of candies, hair clips paper clips etc. The stash gets caught under the pantry door where she has batted thIngs while playing. I clean it weekly! Now the end!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM

We used to have a dog, two years after he died (he was 18) we were gearing up to get another. Instead we rescued a starving kitten, raised her on the bottle. Now we have 6 cats who live indoors - they haven't been out since they were rescued. The oldest is 7, then one is 5, two are 2 and two are almost 1. We certainly didn't intend to have so many cats but when a feral cat comes to you because they are hurt or starving you just have to take care of them. Right?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:16 PM

When I was about 15 or so I had a cat named Burt Reynolds. Named so because I had met the real Burt Reynolds while in Little Rock, Arkansas. He was there filming White Lightning. Burt the cat was the love of my life. He was always there when I needed a hug, a pat with a paw or just someone to hang out with in my room. A few years go by and I enlisted in the Air Force. I would call home weekly at the same time of day. Bert would jump on the counter, wait for the phone to ring and then pound on the phone with his paw until Momma answered. He would then start meowing until Momma put the phone down for him to listen to me talk to him. When I transfered closer to home he would wait in the drive way each week for me to come home. I loved him dearly and still do today although he has long gone to his happy hunting ground.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 PM

My first true cat - not a family cat - was my Katie. I was there when she was born. Her mother was owned by a friend's family. The mother cat and 6 of the 7 babies all died within the first 16 hours. My friend was distraught over everyone dying, so I took Kate home at less than a day old. I was working as a legal secretary at the time, so she went to work with me, staying on a heating pad in my desk drawer and I fed her hourly. When she started to move around, I would drop her off with my grandmother every morning and pick her up on my way home. When I moved away for home for the first time, it was just Kate and me. She was very jealous of everything. My entire life was to revolve around her. She would even steal my glasses during the night because she thought that I would stay in bed with her all day if I didn't have my glasses.

I met my husband and she was kind of sketchy with him at first. But since he fed her every morning before he left for work - about 2 hours before I did - she decided that he was her daddy too.

When our son was born, I was afraid of how she would react. For the first two or three weeks she was a little stand offish. Then one day she showed me how much she actually loved the little one in our lives now. He started fussing in the cradle. She would find me and then run back to the cradle. When she went to check on him, that little touch was enough to rock the cradle and settle him down. And when anyone came to visit, when they held the baby, she was ALWAYS on the back of the couch, hanging over their shoulder. If he started to cry, she would smack them upside their heads and yell at them. She was so funny and always had a special relationship with our son.

I was blessed to have been there when she entered the world and when she left us - 22 years, 4 months and 16 days - a part of my heart went with her. But raising her taught me how to raise orphans and continue to do it to this day.

Love ya Katie girl and miss ya every day.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
cute! both of the stories above.

My MIL had a black cat named Midnight that used to open their bedroom door at night. He would jump up and wrap his paws around the doorknob and twist it. then he would wake mom up so she could let him outside. He never woke Dad up just Mom. He probably knew Dad would have kicked him through the door if he tried to wake him up! LOL

My Mil bought a siamese kitten for my son for Christmas. shortly after when Nicky (the cat) was a few months old my DH had a serious head injury and we werent' at home much for a few months. so MIL and FIL took the cat to the farm. He lived inside. but being a tomcat he was marking his territory and he had the audacity to mark it on Dad's boot with dad's foot inside and that cat went sailing through the screen door without opening the door! LOL He never did that again!! A few months later he decided he liked the neighbors house better and he never came home again. but my BILs would see him at the neighbors and knew he was alright.
The cat was marking because he wasn't neutered. That's what intact male cats do. Kicking him through the door is not the answer. Neutering is. Please spay and neuter your pets, otherwise they will act naturally and either get pregnant and have a litter of kittens you have to find homes for or if male, mark around the house (not a pleasant smell). Too many cats are already in shelters needing homes. OK, off my soapbox. I'm glad the cat was not injured from the kick, but not surprised he went to live with the neighbors. I'm not trying to be mean, I don't like to see animals abused.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Elisabrat,

Thank you for taking in all those sweet baby kittens and raising them! We found a little kitten abandoned in our basement a few weeks ago. He was maybe a day old. We bottle fed him for a week but he didn't make it. We cried and cried over that tiny little ball of fur. Many years ago we bottle fed another kitty and he lived for many years.

We have two kitties, Cassy 7 years and Callie 7 months. We decided to give another little kitten a forever home in memory of the sweet baby kitten. We got a six week old black and white tuxedo kitten today and Callie is nuts over him already. One minute she is playing with him and then she is bathing him just like his momma did.

Callie is a sweet heart and loves to sleep on the top of the recliner. She will get comfy and fall into a deep sleep and sometimes fall down into the chair. I can't help but laugh when she does it. She will sit for just a second with the funniest look to her.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 PM

Just had to add that I am glad to know that other people's kitties hide things too!! My cheapy phone fell to the floor and the back came off. I was busy and didn't get to it right away. A little later, I went to put the back cover on my phone. I could not find it! I knew that Callie was batting it around after it fell but never dreamed she would hide it. We searched the bedroom and rest of the house and have never found the back to that phone. Good thing it was a cheap phone. Silly cat!!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM

I had a long-haired black cat I named Sasha Emma. Her mom was dumped in our neighborhood and my neighbors took the mom and litter of kittens into their house. When they were old enough, I took Sasha, the only black cat in the litter. She was very shy of new people, kind of a one "purson" cat all her life. But she was always near me and had to have one paw touching me. She was so sweet and funny. One night I was watching a program on lions. There was a part where the camera was focused on a male lion roaring and roaring. Sasha jumped off the couch ran up to the tv and stood on her hind legs and tried to put her front paw in the lions mouth! when that didn't work she jumped up on top of the tv (never saw her do that before or since) and hung over the edge of the tv and tried to put her front paw again in the lion's mouth. I have not idea what she was thinking or what she thought she could accomplish. I wish I had a video camera! My first cat was Mickey, a gray and white tabby who was 1.5 years old when I got Sasha. Mickey didn't like Sasha that much. Mickey was a real character. If I told him no! or not to do something, he would talk back at me saying nyat nyat. As he got older the sass became longer. Everyone used to laugh at the cat who talked back! And don't get started on the trying to swallow a cloth belt, the bag of cheetos, or the roll of paper towel incidents. To this day, and Mickey lived to to 16 years and passed about 2004, Mickey is still remembered at the vet for his very vocal personality. Fortunately he was all growl and screech and no bite. When I go in with my current cat, the vet or vet techs will tell me Mickey has bee reincarnated into one of their client's cats. Mickey is the still the standard other cats are measured by!!! Too funny!