Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Female bladder surgery

Know I got your attention now. Issue getting worse and doc said I could have surgery if doing the "special exercises' don't work. After I left the office, I was there for my knee issue, I thought of serveral questions. If someone has had this surgery, and if you don't want to respond on the forum, Just wondering about the recovery time and other issues other gals may have experienced. I'm 59 and had three babies and I know this is a common problem w/women. :(

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to come up with a plan to tie this topic to the main quilting theme. Not sure you'd appreciate any of my suggestions though. lol

Call me 52 and drippy in CA (in other words - I hear ya' sister)

Can't help with any answers, just wishing you good luck!! :D :D

I'm almost 65 and had more problems in my forties and none now.

Banned
    I thought after a hysterectomy 3 years ago I was gonna have to have surgery but I did the "special exercises" for awhile and everything is fine now. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    Know I got your attention now. Issue getting worse and doc said I could have surgery if doing the "special exercises' don't work. After I left the office, I was there for my knee issue, I thought of serveral questions. If someone has had this surgery, and if you don't want to respond on the forum, Just wondering about the recovery time and other issues other gals may have experienced. I'm 59 and had three babies and I know this is a common problem w/women. :(
    I beleive the surgery the doc is refering to is called a TVT. it is a surgery that they take like an elastic band and attatch to one side of ur pelvic bone, down under the bladder and back to the othe pelvic bone. basically a sling. I have had it. I a only 31, however,, after 5 pregnancies and a hysterectomy, they did it. it works like a new machine now!!LOL.. The ebst part is,, when I do have to tinkle,, I do not hve to work,, it just flows like a golden river now,,,, I hope this helps.... :-D

had it...worked fine...was out shopping in a few days. No problems...not always totally effective, but at worst, helps some. hope this makes you feel better....

the recovery is simple.. I ended up with a foley cath. for 4 days, ( only due to endometriatis to my uterus) but, my mother, and 3 aunts have had it done, and it was very quick. :-)

Power Poster
    would be interested in answers, too

doggone nuisance

one thing quits dripping and another starts

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I'm trying to come up with a plan to tie this topic to the main quilting theme. Not sure you'd appreciate any of my suggestions though. lol

Call me 52 and drippy in CA (in other words - I hear ya' sister)
    " A stitch in time saves 9"???? - yeah, count me in too! I have been hearing Whoopie talk about it on the View - I thought I was the only one-------and allergy season??? FORGET IT!

Blog Entries
    My sister is a nurse, age 58 and she had the surgery about 3 months ago. She was off work for 5 weeks. Recovery was not difficult at all. She is just very glad she had the surgery.

Power Poster
    I've heard that the percentage of women over "a certain age" with this issue is fairly high - like 40% or so -

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Well, I don't know what age most are but I have been having problems for atleast 10 years and it is worse now.I will be 55 this year. Have only had one child. Look out if I sneeze, I better find the bathroom before the next sneeze comes. My girlfriend makes fun of me and say I do the "John Wayne" walk when it hits me and I have to hurry to the bathroom. Have tried the exercise and several prescription meds. The last one I tried gave me dry mouth so bad. May have to look into some type of procedure.

Will be following this thread...
    Both sudden urge and stress incontience are a pain, oops a leak?
    I am on a med for one but it has nothing to do with the other, I suffer from both.

Our school nurse, a friend, had a procedure done a year or so ago. She'd been a nurse in an OB/GYN office for years before she came to us. Although she had a problem ever since she had her 1st child in her mid-20's, she didn't want the surgery that used to be done - saw too many women with a very long recovery. She had the "latest" procedure, a TOT, done by the doc she used to work for. For the first time in 20 years, she's not wearing a pad 24/7 and is thrilled.

Personally, so far, I don't want to talk about it..

Blog Entries
    My sister-in-law had it done and didn't follow the doctor's advice of NO HEAVY LIFTING! She lifted the laundry basket and snapped the band. My MIL on the other hand had the surgery and listened to the doctor. She is just fine but I can't remember how long she was off lifting duty.

I had it done a year ago, and a hysterectomy at the same time. I am 45 , and went from the occasional leaking to a huge problem- my bladder fell through my pelvic floor and overnight I had no bladder control. (How not to feel sexy?)

Anyway, they took the uterus which was also falling, so it wouldn't continue to pull my bladder down. I had to use a catheter the first few days at home, which sucked, but now - No more leaking! I did kegel exercises for 10 years!! (That wasn't the problem, apparently)

I was back at work in 4 weeks. Also, my husband, who was my fiance at the time, got up at 4:00 am while I was in crazy pain and helped me with the catheter. Definitely a keeper, huh?

It's like a miracle, once it's done. No pads, no depends, you can laugh and sneeze without catastrophe. Yeah!

I had a procedure called Sparks I forgot what it stands for but it was less invasive than the older methods. My badder had fallen out and the procedure is that they do a hysterectomy( I chose total) and they take from the vagina wall to make a sling that holds the bladder up. It worked great finally no more leaking. 5 days in the hospital and finished recovering at home. I had to have the caturer in 1 weeks more cause I had a problem. ( By the way DH very happy too LOL)

Ladies---I've been there too !!
    First I'm not suggesting anyone go against their doctor's recommendations. Please follow their advice.
    And also, some of you might have more complicated "drip" issues than I did.
    But this worked for me without surgery.
    I went to a girl's only party, you know where they sell honeymoon items, etc.
    We were hooting and laughing etc.
    Then the hostess brought out a midevil looking thing and said it turns your Kegel exercises into dynamite!
    We thought "yeah right"....it looks like a gynecologist's tool....and it's overpriced. No thanks.
    But I wanted my friend to make alot of money as hostess, and I hadn't seen anything else I would ever use (so sad, eh?..lol)
    Anyway, a few of us older gals bought these and, by golly, it worked for each of us, when we compared notes a few weeks later. Within a week I could tell my leaky faucet was being turned off. I'd been doing kegels till I was blue in the face with no improvement, till I started using this thing.
    I no longer have to cross my legs when I sneeze or cough. I still have a small issue if I lift a heavy item, but it's way improved from before.
    Unfortunately it's been advertised in some questionable magazines, but I don't care.
    I told my DDs (who are 40 and 36, they've both had 3 kids and are just beginning to notice a few surprises here and there) about this thing. They said "eeeewwww" just like when I told them about the birds and bees, but I know my oldest is going to try it.
    So here's a website with a picture etc. just in case.
    Depending on which website you look at, it's advertising seems to center on improving your sex life, but it also addresses the bladder issues.
    (I am not a dealer/seller, I have no connection with advertising of this item. I'm just passing on info).
    http://www.kegelmaster2000.com/

Had it.........after 6 kids..........best thing since sliced bread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    i have had a bladder suspension twice. the first one lasted about 7 years. it is in and out surgery, at least here. no biggy. so glad i had it done too!!!
    no heavy lifting for 6 weeks i think,it was. (includes bowling! lol!) good luck!

Get a second opinion. My sewing friend had a bladder tack. It was not good. The doctor stitched the bladder to her intestion. lots of discomfort. got that repaired then got a mild infection, got the cleared up. Now she still wears a pad. She said she would never do that again, she is a retired nurse.
    Hope all goes well for you.
    The stitches makes this a sewing subject.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Get a second opinion. My sewing friend had a bladder tack. It was not good. The doctor stitched the bladder to her intestion. lots of discomfort. got that repaired then got a mild infection, got the cleared up. Now she still wears a pad. She said she would never do that again, she is a retired nurse.
    Hope all goes well for you.
    The stitches makes this a sewing subject.
    Sounds like there might be some cutting involved, too.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I never had the problem however..........Get a thigh master and exercise with that it WORKS no more dinkling down your leg. I told my aunt to use it for a month and then decide it she needed the surgery, she didn't need surgery.

i had it done 5 years ago and it was quick a couple for days of no running,jumping or riding my horse it's the best thing i ever did for my self would do it again.

memathomas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast