frugalness!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM

let's see:

Since we have to have house insurance and auto insurance, having them both with the same company saves us a lot each year, though of course I can't remember the amount we save

I wouldn't suggest just anyone doing this, but I buy swine ivermectin and give it instead of the monthly heartworm tabs to my dogs (if this interests you, please research it online thoroughly)

By law, the dogs have to have their rabies vaccine given by a vet, but I give them the others here at home

I buy bulk packs of meat, for instabce a pack of 6 ribeyes, and split them into packs of 2 and freeze
Same with ground chuck and chicken breasts
Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 PM

We have friends who have 5 acres and raise a few head of beef each year. This year we got a side of beef from them. Came out to $.58 a pound for ground beef, chuck roasts, steaks, etc. My freezer is full!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:47 AM

I know what you mean.Even when my Mom had her family,there wasn't a nickle to spare.They had 4 kids & one job.But guess what...we didn't know we were poor,cause everyone was in the same boat.My MIL washed foil & plastic wrap......made veggies they grew for a main course...as in beans with a tiny amt of meat,home made bread & home grown berries.FILs car was used only for work & church.The bill paying/grocery run happened after work, once or twice a mo.....they knew how to manage money.
They never owed a dime....never used a credit card.It was cash or do without.

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
I come from a family of 13. Father was a laborer and money tight. My mother could squeeze a nickle until the buffalo snorted. We had nutrious meals from scratch. No vegetables were discarded, bones, broth were kept until then end of the week and then the refrigerator was cleaned out. Wonderful vegetable soup. Even Spagetti was thrown in the pot. Mother shopped the bargins. Coupons weren't available. Outgrown clothing was either traded or fabric cut out for quilts. We did have a vegetable garden. Grandfather had fruit trees and we canned bushels of fruit.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Lisanne
Food: Read up on extreme couponing.

Also, whenever you buy anything, check the receipt to be sure it's correct. Some groceries will give you the item for free if they overrang it. (Some won't, but at least they'll give back the amount the overcharged.)

Shop the sales, check the unit price before deciding which size to buy (sometimes the "large economy size" actually costs more per ounce or whatever than the smaller size), shop in the mornings for meat, as yesterday's meat is often discounted first thing next day but may sell out by afternoon.

Switch over to the fluorescent lightbulbs.

Drive within the speed limit as it uses less gas. Keep your gas tank full and your oil changed for more efficient car engine function.

Swap and barter where you can.

Try starting a garden, even if it's just some tomatoes in a pot.

Call the utility companies to ask what kinds of budget plans they offer.
I agree with all but this : " Keep your gas tank full." Why drive around town with a full tank? Fill up only for taking long trips. We are always being told to lighten the load for more efficiency.
There is a reasoning behind keeping your gas tank full. I read a fascinating article about it on the internet several months ago....the reasoning is this....Have you ever noticed how when your gas gauge hits the half mark, it seems to go down faster than the first half? The reason is this: The space in your tank allows for evaporation to take place(from the heat of the engine), and thus a good portion of the that last half tank is wasted...not going through your engine. I have tried this in the past few months, and it seems that I am not going through the gas as much. Other tips in the article were this: fill your tank as early in the day as possible, when ground temperatures are cooler. The gas coming up from the ground is cooler and more condensed. Also, when filling, use the slower speed on the pump. This allows for less agitation in the tank, which adds air to the tank., which means you get less gas for your money.

So I think there is a reason for keeping the tank full...I fill up whenever I hit the half mark now, and I am seeing a difference....small, but a difference. But in addition to all the other reasons....I love the peace of mind knowing that IF an emergency happened (and we live 25 miles from the closest hospital), I have the gas to get there......
Old 07-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Sorry -but paying even $39.95 a month for any extra would not happen here. We support my parents in their home plus us in ours.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 AM

[quote=LyndaK]
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Lisanne

I agree with all but this : " Keep your gas tank full." Why drive around town with a full tank? Fill up only for taking long trips. We are always being told to lighten the load for more efficiency.
If you live where the temperatures are very cold in the winter, you should fill your tank. It cuts down on the condensation in the gas line which can cost you in repairs and vehicle downtime. At least that is what my husband says....
I try to never let my tank get below half full. Never know when you will get stuck in traffic & run out of gas. Besides, yesterday my favorite gas station was out of gas. I get 25 mpg in my 2003 Buick.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Ask yourself before buying, What will I do with it when I take it home ? Will I forget about it ? Will I use it ? if Im just buying and putting in the closet I dont buy it.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by blossom808
Ask yourself before buying, What will I do with it when I take it home ? Will I forget about it ? Will I use it ? if Im just buying and putting in the closet I dont buy it.
Something tells me that fabric purchases doesn't apply to this rule. ;)
At least mine wouldn't!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 AM

When DH retired we moved to small house & the rule is...anything we buy /something has to leave. Of course,my sewing rm & his shop are the exceptions :lol: :lol:

Something tells me that fabric purchases doesn't apply to this rule. ;)
At least mine wouldn't![/quote]
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM

I bought a little fan and put it right next to me so I will keep the a/c higher. It's working so far, but with it being over 100 for the 21st straight day, I'm pining for fall lol.

I'm not the most frugal person in the world, but I try.