Fruit and Cottage Cheese

Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

I love fruit and cottage cheese but according to the label it looks high in salt. I could eat it everyday! I thought it was a good nutritious diet food? :?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Me, too! What gives??? :shock:
Old 03-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

I am trying to make changes in my diet for health reasons and to lose weight but it takes a scientist to figure all this stuff out. I can't afford to join diets clubs, gyms, special foods, etc. nor do I have the time. Its getting confusing! :oops:
Old 03-07-2010, 11:56 AM

I grew up with a mother who ate it constantly thinking it was diet food, but as soon as I needed to diet, it was suddenly fattening. Unfair! I adore cottage cheese and fruit!

They now have regular, 2% and fat-free cottage cheeses. So you can limit the fat (though I find the low-fat tastes sour).

I didn't know it had too much salt, and I don't have any around to see how much there is.

Salt isn't fattening, you know. It has to be limited for people who have heart and blood pressure problems, and it may cause you to retain water, which adds pounds on the scale - but not fat pounds, just water weight.

So you can work it in. Just decide whether you need to lighten up on salt somewhere else. Maybe you don't, if you're eating mostly non-processed foods and not adding a ton of salt to things.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

On the container I have it shows the sodium content is 490. Isn't that alot?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

And what about yogurt? I get Yoplait creamy plain vanilla and strawberry by the big buckets! For breakfast I either have some yogurt with a banana cut up in it or a bowl of Cheerios. Sometimes for a snack I have fruit with yogurt mixed in. Is this ok?? I just need to get rich and hire a live-in dietician/cook. :lol:
Old 03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by marsye
I am trying to make changes in my diet for health reasons and to lose weight but it takes a scientist to figure all this stuff out. I can't afford to join diets clubs, gyms, special foods, etc. nor do I have the time. Its getting confusing! :oops:
Why don't you join the weigh in? It is fun, we talk about the weight we have lost or sometimes gain and different food and recipies along with encouraging each other. Just do a search weigh in. It is Lneal who started the thread. This month we are even doing a reward for the biggest looser who will win FQ's, however you don't have to do the rewards. It is a diet club of sorts right here on the quilting board. You should check it out. :-D :-D

By the way I love fruit and cottage cheese and eat it almost every day if not for breakfast then a before bed snack. Also plain yogurt is better then add your own fruit that is what I do.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Mayo Clinic says this about salt:
"Various organizations, including the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, have published recommendations on daily sodium limits. Most recommend not exceeding the range of 1,500 and 2,400 milligrams (mg) a day for healthy adults."

Read more here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

So if cottage cheese is one meal, that's well within your daily allowance. I guess figure 500 - 800 mg per meal is okay, and of course 500 is better if you need to cut down for health reasons.

I have to add that this surprised me. I thought we were supposed to limit salt to 1,000 mg/day. So it's more generous than I thought.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Mayo Clinic says this about salt:
"Various organizations, including the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, have published recommendations on daily sodium limits. Most recommend not exceeding the range of 1,500 and 2,400 milligrams (mg) a day for healthy adults."

Read more here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

So if cottage cheese is one meal, that's well within your daily allowance. I guess figure 500 - 800 mg per meal is okay, and of course 500 is better if you need to cut down for health reasons.

I have to add that this surprised me. I thought we were supposed to limit salt to 1,000 mg/day. So it's more generous than I thought.
Thanks this is good to know.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM

This website looks good: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

And there's a big article right on the front page about salt. I liked this quote:
"The majority of people don't have high blood pressure--and most of those who do are not salt sensitive."

and this was news to me:
"Reducing sodium enough to lower blood pressure has also been shown to reduce insulin sensitivity" - bad news for those with diabetes and insulin resistance.