Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garage Sale Update

There are a lot of cheapskates out there. That is my idea of people always trying to get something for nothing. Just cheap.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I tried a garage sale over 20 years ago. My neighborhood was small at that time and I didn't sell much. So I said 'No more sales.' I know it was my inexperience in setting it up with advertising, etc. Now I donate things to my church's annual garage sale and to some local thrift shops.

I do enjoy going to sales but I never bargain. I usually make a comment about how I will use my purchases like sheets, blankets, and materials. Because I use these items for charity, many sellers give me a better deal without needing to ask.

Connie

I just keep a box in my house and when it is full of items I no longer want I take it to Salvation Army or the Boys Club Thrift Store. I like to go to garage sales but NEVER want to have one.

We had our moving sale this weekend--mostly odds and ends of tools, small furniture-etc. from the basement--nothing over $25 and almost everything from 50 cents to 4 or 5 for a box of stuff---had over 200 people come thru and had to close down at noon Sat. cause there was nothing left to sell !!!! Quite a few sales in the neighborhood but several people told us the others were overpriced. One man bought $70 of little stuff and came back next morning and bought $50 more. Now our basement is empty of the 42 yr accumulation and we have over $800 to help with moving expenses---yippee. Lots of work but worth it for us.

Wow I've never had that kind of traffic at a sale! Well I guess I am a cheapskate! In my neck of the woods dickering over prices at garage sales and flea markets is the norm.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Gladygirl View Post
    Now our basement is empty of the 42 yr accumulation and we have over $800 to help with moving expenses---yippee. Lots of work but worth it for us.
    I'm really happy (and jealous) that you had such a successful moving sale! Even though we managed to sell enough to make the weekend worthwhile, we still had eleven boxes of household items (blankets, pots and pans, glassware, Christmas decorations) to donate. Someone on this board mentioned having a "free table"...wish I had thought of that because we could have lightened the load of donation deliveries.

I had a TV at a garage sale several years ago priced $5. Some one wanted it for $2.50 and they were relentless! I just figured after I gave them a hard time that it was better for them to haul it off than me.

Years ago when I was pregnant (sick every morning) my husband was in charge of our garage sale. He had cleaned out his closet and had about 30 golf shirts that were nearly new,he had just outgrown them. There were priced at $1.
    When a customer said he would give hubby .50, without missing a beat hubby said, "I will burn them first!"

He never works garage sales now.

Blog Entries
    DH and I had one garage sale and very quickly figured out that people don't want to come down the driveway. (We made $13.) the next year a local church was having a fundraiser and offering table rentals for $10.00 per day for three days of a rummage sale. We decided to try that. We made over $200! We now watch for fundraisers to rent tables. They make money and we make money. Best of all, we can drop everything not sold off at a donation center. No muss no fuss.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The best yard sale that I ever had was a spur of the moment thing for a little extra vacation money. I made a sign that said "LET'S MAKE A DEAL" "MAKE ME AN OFFER" Most things went for more than I ever would have asked for them. Made more money on that one than ever before

Blog Entries
    I had a garage sale after moving to Austin. Had 2 color TVs with remotes, people wouldn't pay $5 each, because I wouldn't sell them both for $5 together. Worse was two families that came with 5 or 6 kids under the age of about 10 who all kept picking things up off the tables and trying to steal things, while their parents watched them. One thing to remember, everything you donate is tax deductible AND goes to a worth cause. No more garage sales for me unless I'm the one buying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2