Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garage Sale Update

Garage Sale Update

We had our very first garage sale today. It was quite the experience, and my thanks go out to everyone who provided very helpful tips! I must say that garage sale people are very unique. We had the garage sale because we bought a smaller home and had to get rid of "extras" that would not fit in our new home. Since our goal was to sell or donate everything, we priced everything very low. I was definitely surprised at the number of people who wanted to pay $1 for something priced at $2. Really? People dicker over one dollar? I met some very interesting people.

We were selling an older model video camera for $15. One gentleman said it was too old and no one would want it but he'd take it off our hands for $5. I asked "how about we meet in the middle for $10?" He said No, he will keep his money and left. Shortly after, another gentleman asked about the camera. I told him the price was $15 and he said he could not pass up such a deal. Sold! So what happened about half hour later? The first gentleman stopped by again, looked at the empty spot where we had the camera and asked where "his" camera was. I reminded him that he didn't want it so I sold it. He seemed upset that I did not save the camera for him, but he purchased a small vase for $1.

Not sure we will have another garage sale any time soon. It was more work than I thought, but I'm happy we did it.

Blog Entries
    LOL, yes, I have had many garage sales. They always want to barter. They have to feel like they got a deal. (heck, I like to get a good deal. lol)

But, the differance, I don't quibble over a $1 items.

Congrats on getting what you wanted on your camera.

I usually price my items to sell. Out of my house and into yours.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
    We had our very first garage sale today. It was quite the experience, and my thanks go out to everyone who provided very helpful tips! I must say that garage sale people are very unique. We had the garage sale because we bought a smaller home and had to get rid of "extras" that would not fit in our new home. Since our goal was to sell or donate everything, we priced everything very low. I was definitely surprised at the number of people who wanted to pay $1 for something priced at $2. Really? People dicker over one dollar? I met some very interesting people.

We were selling an older model video camera for $15. One gentleman said it was too old and no one would want it but he'd take it off our hands for $5. I asked "how about we meet in the middle for $10?" He said No, he will keep his money and left. Shortly after, another gentleman asked about the camera. I told him the price was $15 and he said he could not pass up such a deal. Sold! So what happened about half hour later? The first gentleman stopped by again, looked at the empty spot where we had the camera and asked where "his" camera was. I reminded him that he didn't want it so I sold it. He seemed upset that I did not save the camera for him, but he purchased a small vase for $1.

Not sure we will have another garage sale any time soon. It was more work than I thought, but I'm happy we did it.
    I agree, they are a lot of work. I have only had two though.

Good for you!
    When we moved that's what we did I had good will all set up or a pick up we had our saturday sale and good will was there on Monday to pick up all the leftovers. Nothing went back into the house.

You do meet some interesting people.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I have had a garage sale and will never have another. I just as soon donate the merchandise to a worthy cause. People go to these sales and want you to give it to them.

I also had an old camera to sell, I checked sold prices on ebay , just to get some idea. Well, the camera was only selling for $20-25. BUT!! the old film I had left over was worth a 'fortune'!!

My favorite bargaining story - At a yard sale, a lady brought an item over to the seller and said, "this is marked 75 cents, would you take 50 cents for it?" The owner looked at the tag and said, "No, it is marked 25 cents."

"Well, would you take 15 cents for it then?"

I had a lady ask me if I would take a dime for a $.25 item. My response, just take it, you obviously need it more than me. I haven't had many garage sales but you're right about people being very unique. A friend had one where she didn't price anything and asked people to pay what they thought it was worth to them. Made some money on that one strangely enough.
    Debra

When my husband and I got married 3 years ago and were combining two households of "stuff". Each of us had lived in our homes over 40 years, I had several yard sales trying to get rid of some of my things, yes people will barter, we even had a free table. There were several items that we a little bit pricey and people tried to barter, when they decided they did not want to pay what I wanted they left, then several days later, they were knocking on the door wanting to know if I had sold the items....when you have collectibles, people know what they are looking at. After the yard sale was over, I had a Christian Outreach group come, pack up all of the remaining, and take it away...three pickup truck full.
    Pat

I like to go to garage sales & look around, sometimes finding something that I know I can use. But some people who have garage sales will do strange things--like the lady who had 3 empty egg cartons & priced them for $.75! Really???? Who would pay $.75 for things that most of us just throw away??? I laughed all the way down the driveway away from there! But the last time I had a garage sale, over 25 years ago, I said never again! I made no money to speak of & it was days of work getting ready for it. I had a charity truck come & get what was left and said I will never do that again!

I'm with a lot of you. I LOVE going to garage and yard sales, but I will NEVER have one again. WAY too much work! I DO appreciate people having them because I love to go... When we move, whatever I don't want to take with me, I'll ask a few friends to take a look and offer me whatever they want for things. I'm a member of the local American Legion Auxiliary, so whatever is left, I'll haul it to the Legion for the Auxiliary's yearly yard sale. Those funds go for a GREAT cause and everything is appreciated.

So glad to hear your sale was a success. Yes, people want to bargain on everything! My mother was like that. She said it was a game to her. And you gotta love the ones that "walk away" then are peeved when the item is gone later.

Wishing you all the best now on your move!
    Lori

I HAVE to have at least 2 garage sales this year...
    We are still trying to clear out my Aunt and Uncle's home...been at this for a year. Uncle was a hoarder. All the junk is gone...have donated tons.
    What is left is the good stuff...whatever sells will benefit their special needs son. I had 2 yard sales last summer where most of the items were priced at $1. I had people trying to barter me down to 3 items for $1...so sad.
    I tried to hold firm to my prices due to why I was selling these items....but it left me very down. After this summer, I NEVER want to have a garage sale again.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I've had a few garage sales. I price things for more than what I really want to get. In case people (like me) come and want to feel like they're getting a bargain and like to barter for everything. My (higher) prices were still amazingly cheap. Many people didn't even feel the need to bargain as the item was "Such a deal" already. For example we were selling many big baby items (4' play pen, fancy shmancy carseat -not even close to expiration date & never in an accident, huge wooden toy box, little tykes play forts) all in excellent shape, for $12. I really wanted $10.

Unfortunately by the time the garage sale is almost done and I start thinking about what I can spend all my loot on, something big breaks in our home. Clothes washer, dryer or dish washer. I figure if I don't have any more garage sales, nothing will break!
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    A girlfriend an I had one 40 years ago. Way more work then it was worth. So we both decided we are better at ''going'' to yard sales.

Looking at my stash makes me really tired. I am going on 80 years old and know that I will never be able to use all this fabric. Wondering if I should just 'Craigtslist' what I can't use or try a garage sale. I know they are a lot of work but I have been very successful with them in the past.

Blog Entries
    *** They are a lot of work, but sometimes worth it.
    *** Had one about 5 years ago when out of work and needed the $$$.
    *** Rained all day - cover then uncover, but made $430. sis made $200. friend made $150.
    *** Have to watch people like a hawk or stuff walks off.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    Garage sales are so much fun! I've bought some great things at them.. Bargaining is the name of the game, tho..

For some folks it's a test of wills over who's going to come out on top.. One time a young guy was persistent about haggling over an antique trunk I had for sale.. Turned out he was a young attorney and was practicing his craft on me!

Blog Entries
    Must have been my SIL wanting to pay only a dollar for anything! I recently cleaned out more closets and took a polaroid camera and a camera with actual film in canisters and case to the Charity shop. Someone will want them. Just not me.

Blog Entries
    if you sell on Craig's list, think seriously have meeting the buyer at a safe place. Not your home. I gave away (through my Cities freecycle site online) an older t.v. to a lady and we met at BlockBusters video parking lot.

I have had garage sales in the past and vowed never again. However... I have been cleaning out stuff and have some things that I think will do well in a garage sale. I am going to price them high so when people want to pay less, I can accommodate them. I don't want to overcharge anyone but when something is priced for $0.25 and they want to pay
    $0.10, it does irritate me.

I have had a few garage sales - made more on the small water mellons than on the sale items ! Could not believe how little I made. I go to a few sales now and cannot believe the 'junk' people try to sell. I now give away things I no longer use or need. Much easier.

I have had a couple of garage sales, but have never had much luck. Not even many lookers. I was shocked last summer at the prices I saw at the sales. So many people had their stuff priced at nearly retail prices. I don't pay retail when I shop for new items at stores. Why on earth would I pay retail at a garage sale.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Each year after my sale I vow never again! But here I am gathering thing up for this years sale!!! I mark things low and yes, get a few who try to get it lower...I usually just say no, sorry, it's not mine and I was instructed to sell as marked......and most take whatever at price marked....I myself love going to garage sales and I pay whatever the price tag states.....always cheaper than a store price and then in a yr or two it goes in my sale!!!! Recycling at its finest!!!!!

I had to liquidate my father's things located in Whetstone AZ in 1986 shortly after his death. It was difficult to deal with his things but yes, people showed up early when my father's friends and I were trying to set things up and wanted to start dickering right then and there.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast