Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going on a cross the US trip >

Going on a cross the US trip

Going on a cross the US trip

Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 AM

When you are in Colorado a Must See is the Sand Dunes (yep, there are HUGE sand dunes there. On Interstate 25 toward the south of the state. They are unbelievably beautiful. I lived in Denver and saw them and I was floored at their size and beauty. Don't miss them. Oh yes, Greatly enjoy your travel. Wishing a safe journey.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Must go to Devils Bend in Ok. I thind that is the name of It. That is wher many of the western bandits camed out. there are caves,small lake to swim and bathe in some cabins if you want to spend the night, It will be listed in the Ok tourist attractions.I was there once many years ago.before I relocated to Oklahoma.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:08 AM

AZ - Tonto Natural Bridge, believed to be the largest natural travertine bridge in the world.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Be sure to stop by Branson, Missouri. Neat shows to see, alot of shopping and you MUST stop by Quilts and Quilts...It's huge :O)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 AM

If you go through Pennsylvania, a trip to the Lancaster area and Amish country is beautiful. They are many quilt shops as well as country restaurants.

I now live in New Mexico (and have made that drive from PA to NM) ... what area of the state are you traveling through and what type of things are you interested in seeing?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM

In and around Lexington,<Ky. A beautiful state horse park, museum there; Ashland, home of Henry Clay, beautiful park like setting and tour of gorgeous home; Mary Todd Lincoln home;Headley Museum, see bibliots made of precious stones and metals; beautiful horse farms; Lexington Cemetery( now I know that may sound like a weird place to visit, but it is absolutley beautiful, especially in April. And there is Berea with lots of artist craft shops. This area a great place to visit! right off I64 and I75.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 PM

You didn't mention going through Nebraska but..... If you do and find yourself on I-80, you will go under the Archway which is a newer attraction. You literally are walking over the interstate but you'd never realize it until the very end. The whole purpose of the archway to to introduce people to the west. Inside is a walking tour of the history of the west ( headsets relate the stories ) from the covered wagons to modern day times - looking over the interstate and seeing how fast the vehicles are actually going. They have a wonderful gift shop and depending on the time of day a place to eat. It's located just east of Kearney which is in the center of the whole United States. Happy and sage traveling.

Also, in Lincoln, you can view the state capital since it's the tallest building in the city, has a gold dome. It is the only state capital in the entire nation entirely paid for BEFORE it was constructed and there is a state statute mandating that all repairs and additions can be done only after the money is raised. It's a beautiful building and can easily be seen from the interstate.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:03 PM

hutchinson kansas, just north and slightly west of wichita has or used to have a working salt mine

arcadia oklahoma, old route 66, has a historic round barn
Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 PM

In Groom Texas, is the largest Cross I have ever seen. It is well worth the stop to see it. There are other things to see at that site as well. Have a great trip. Jan
Old 11-13-2010, 01:47 PM

A must stop and visit is Lancaster, PA. Many shops and just plain beautiful country side. One of my favorite stops. Enjoy the trip. I would like to do the same.