Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going on a cross the US trip >

Going on a cross the US trip

Going on a cross the US trip

Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

the weather in Wyoming is iffy for April as can be our snowiest month so just watch the weather around the mountains and some of the roads may still be closed depending if it is the first part or end of April A nice quilt shop in Cody a wonderful museum with a huge gun display if you get to Cody I would love to meet you pm me
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 PM

I sure can't tell you any sites to catch, but I just wanted to say that your trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Hershey, PA visit the plant, Oklahoma City visit the site of the bombing, very humbling. Corpus Christi go over the huge bridge down by the water. Austin, TX has a huge lake and there is a restaurant that is in tiers right on the edge that over looks the lake. Don't know the name of the lake as my daughter in law and granddaughter took us there. There are so many neat places to go to in every state. Just pick up books in the welcome centers in each state they have things you can go to. Also pick up the books in the centers for hotels/motels that you can stay at for a reduced price. In one state we stayed at a Comfort Inn for $30, but that was a couple of years ago.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:02 PM

And El Morro and the Ice Cave in New Mexico, just south of Grants off of I40. There are some really nice quilt shops in and around Albuquerque: The Quilt Works, Southwest Decoratives, and Quilts Ole.
Santa Fe and Taos are north of Albuquerque and Carlsbad Caverns are in the south of the state.
Have a wonderful trip.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Don't forget the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Gateway to the west. Losts of adventure here on the Mississippi River.
When you leave let us know. You will drive within 5miles from me. You could plan a pitstop here. I live on the Illinois side of St. Louis about 10 miles from the city.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks so much for all of the input will write all of the places down and as we are going to get a laptop will keep everyone updated.Just a little history on this trip have planned this trip for this will be the third time and due to family illness and both of my husbands parents passing three years apart we were unable to take this trip.But as of yesterday we now are the new owners of a 95 Mini Winnebago and that was a big step that was holding us back.
We lived in Lawton Ok for 3yrs whilr hubby was in the army so we will spending time in Ok.and Mem is a definent stop.
This will be our 34th anniversary gift to each other,once again thanks Retta
Old 11-13-2010, 04:45 PM

speaking of the Quilter's Travel Companion, I took mine to Office Depot and had it spiral-bound. So much easier to use in the car.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:11 PM

The Grand Canyon, the creater of the Moon, the perpifed forset i have been cross the us 7 times by car we just would drive and watch for signs and just go off the beaten track yellow stone park is one also out west there are alot of place to see hope this helps we are going again in the spring have to see the GRand canyon again
Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 PM

me again make sure you go to st george in utah we live in utah for 2 years and copper mines and the great salt flats
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 PM

If you can get to the Amish country in Lancaster, PA, there are fabric shops and quilt shops where the Amish sell their quilts. I have only been once, and at the time I was not interested in quilting. Now I want to go back!