Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going on a cross the US trip >

Going on a cross the US trip

Going on a cross the US trip

Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
speaking of the Quilter's Travel Companion, I took mine to Office Depot and had it spiral-bound. So much easier to use in the car.
My sister did too. She loves it
Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by retta97
Anybody out there who can tell me sites to see from penn. ,w. va,kentucy,tenn,ok. ,texas (panhandle ),n. mexico,
arizona,nevada, utah, calorado, wyoming, kanas, missouri,
illionois,indiana, ohio ? Hubby and I are planning this trip to leave the end of march and going throgh the month of april. After 34 years of marriage and 2 other failed trips we are GOING!! So if there is some where
or some thing that you think would be a must see let us know.Thanks
I'oly know PA.
I would suggest you stop at Lancaster PA, since it's like a mecca for quilters. the Amish farms are beautiful in spring too. It depends quilt show in Lancaster in the end of March.

Continue across Route 30 to Gettysburg PA. It's a national treasure. The museum is wonderful. Get a guide to take you to the battleground and tell you stories. And have dinner at the Dobbins House.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM

as far as Kentucky goes i was just there last month and i went to the Quilt Museum and to Eleanor Burns " Quilt in a day shop
she has some beautiful fabric and it is not exspensive

Illinois we have the Abraham Lincoln Museum it is reaaly nice place to visit (springfield) along with the old State Capital one block from it both are downtown

if you get a chance to go thru Arthur Illinois downtown (its a small amish town) they have some nice little stores , maybe about 6 or 7 of them one is a quilt store
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Gatlinburg Tenn has a wonderful little resturant called 'Desserts and More' in wht is called 'The Villate" on the main drag. Most everything they serve is homemade. Room for about 16 customers.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM

I am new to this.
I just reread my comment and spelling is bad !
Deserts and More in "The Village"

Make a stop in Iowa too. Lots to see. Right now we are having our first snow. Will be a long winter.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by retta97
Anybody out there who can tell me sites to see from penn. ,w. va,kentucy,tenn,ok. ,texas (panhandle ),n. mexico,
arizona,nevada, utah, calorado, wyoming, kanas, missouri,
illionois,indiana, ohio ? Hubby and I are planning this trip to leave the end of march and going throgh the month of april. After 34 years of marriage and 2 other failed trips we are GOING!! So if there is some where
or some thing that you think would be a must see let us know.Thanks
If you're going to be in Southern Indiana in the area of I-64, try to make it to NEW HARMONY. The community is about 200 years old and began as a Rappite community. Quite a few interesting buildings and some wonderful restaurants.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by smagruder
Kentucky... don't know your interests but.... Boonesboro, Frankfort ( capital museum), Louisville ( Churchill Downs, Slugger Museum), Bowling Green ( Corvette Museum, Mammoth Cave of I 65 south of Louisville, are just a few... our parks are really pretty if interested. Good luck and have a wonderful journey.
Ahemmmmmmmmmmmmmm! The Louisville Slugger Museum is in INDIANA! A rock's throw from Louisville, but on MY side of the river.

(sorry, couldn't help myself!)
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by penski
as far as Kentucky goes i was just there last month and i went to the Quilt Museum and to Eleanor Burns " Quilt in a day shop
she has some beautiful fabric and it is not exspensive

Illinois we have the Abraham Lincoln Museum it is reaaly nice place to visit (springfield) along with the old State Capital one block from it both are downtown

if you get a chance to go thru Arthur Illinois downtown (its a small amish town) they have some nice little stores , maybe about 6 or 7 of them one is a quilt store

The Quilt Museum in Paducah is place to see for sure.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Tombstone,Az is fun.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 PM

I liked the Grand Canyon - even from the top. I did not realise that you had to book ahead of time in order to go into the Canyon. At the time that I went, there was a 3 week waiting period to go down as they were only allowing a certain number down each day. Perhaps things have changed, but you should check it out to avoid disappointment. I have seen pictures of a skywalk that's over the Canyon now. That may be worthwhile. I also enjoyed the Navajo crafts, weaving and jewellery.