Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is this a good deal or not?  I don't know! >

Is this a good deal or not? I don't know!

Is this a good deal or not? I don't know!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I would be dancing for joy if I could find this kind of a deal on a serger!
Older machines are awesome :D:D:D
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM

I just got an older model serger but I can't figure out how to get it to serger without trimming the edge. Can anyone tell me?
Angie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-08-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 PM

It does work!!! But I had a time getting it to do so. First I needed to re-thread part of it, as it was done wrong. Could that be why the woman didn't keep it herself?? Then I needed to put in another needle as it just had one in it. Can it work with just one? I don't know. I now know why one needs some TWEEZERS with the machine. I got it threaded OK without them, but in trying to put the needle in, I dropped it and it went down in the hole and I tried to get it out from the bottom and then the top with my tweezers. Finally, I took off the foot and had more room to work with ... and then the needle dropped down in to the base of the machine a couple of times before I FINALLY got it screwed tightly in. Now I need to get it a brush to clean the dust in the bottom inside of the threading places, probably need to oil it, I have oil from my FW I can use, I need more needles, a SMALL screwdriver as I used the end of my bodkin I had with another machine as a screwdriver as the two I had with that machine were too big. I need to get a little box to keep all of these things in. Does that mean a trip to Joann's?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 PM

I've discovered something more. It has a little storage compartment in the area that swings out to make it a free arm machine. At the bottom of that space, I found the two screw drivers that go with it and also the extra plate for the rolled hem or what ever it is for. I discovered that I can use just one needle and sew with that and three threads. Boy! I've learned a lot today! Now to sew something meaningful with it.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I think you got a good deal.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Default serger

Originally Posted by ambquilter View Post
I just got an older model serger but I can't figure out how to get it to serger without trimming the edge. Can anyone tell me?
Angie
You may be able to move the upper knife up? also just keep the fabric to the left more and Barely trim the edge or not.I do that

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-08-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: edit quote only
Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 PM

I think sergers are used to make underwear, knit tops, swimsuits, leggings, all sorts of things. If there is a fabric store in your area that sells knits, you will have fun making all kinds of easy clothing.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ambquilter View Post
I just got an older model serger but I can't figure out how to get it to serger without trimming the edge. Can anyone tell me? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Angie
There ought to be a way to disengage the knife. However, the serger stitches always look better if you let it trim a little off the edge.

On my old serger, you push the knife towards the machine and then it can swing up out of the way.

If you make any clothes, you will use your serger to finish the inside edges. Bags, too. You can serge the inside seams on those zipper pouches. The serger seams are not sturdy enough to stand on their own as seams, but they are great for finishing seam edges so they don't ravel

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 02-05-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
My hubby and I went to a yard sale today and saw a serger for sale. it is an Ez Lock and has EZ100 on the machine. It worked, or at least it sewed a chain and was still threaded with a lot of thread on the spools. I didn't have any material to try it with, but did make a chain with it. It is in a soft zippered plastic case with carrying handles and has the instruction book with it, and is old enough that the plastic on the machine is turning yellow. I got it for $30.00. Is this a good deal? Or did I get taken. I know nothing about the sergers at all , except how the stitching looks when sewn.
Next question! Will I use it a lot? What will I use it for????
Thanks for any and all help!
Although I am not familiar with that model of serger, I feel that $30 for a used serger that was so easy to use by a beginner is a great buy. I have several of the older sergers, but not one that can have the knife dis-engaged. I bought my first one because my sister was sewing so many little dance constumes for her daughter using the same brand. I should have had a costume because I danced around it for months before getting up enough nerve to start using it. I took some classes in it's use at the junior college. While we students sewed, the instructor was whipping out lingerie as Christmas gifts, half slips and panties.
Once you get comfortable with it, you will wonder what took you so long to get one. Check your public library for some books on using sergers.