Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets. >

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Geeze...I am surprised they didn't suggest she kiss his butt and lick his poor tired feet!!! It was probably written by a man! :hunf: :thumbdown:
Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 PM

I love where it says "his conversation topics are much more important than yours". yeah, right. :roll: :thumbdown:
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 PM

DH was reading this post over my shoulder. "What a load of crap!" was his openion. Thank goodness I have a very enlightened hubby.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Well, I'll never make the "Good Wife" nomination list!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Agh yes, things have definitely changed in most ways for the better. I still have my hubby spoiled, but he's doing better all the time. Over twenty years ago, he was whining and complaining about his job. He said I had it easy staying at home with the two kiddos all day. I said, all right I'll go out and get a job and provide for this family and you can stay at home and see just how easy it is. Sooo,, that's what happened. He decided rather quickly that he owed me an apology, saying it was much harder than he ever imagined.. I wanted to write those words in stone...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug
My dad bought me a book like this when I was young...LOL - they had a book fair at his work. When I was reading it I was like are you kidding....it was in the 70's - and Yes...my Mom was like that...and still is...Not me...my husband is awesome and helps with everything. But than again my Mom did not work...

You might want to amend that to " My Mom did not work outside the home, nor were her labors rewarded with a paycheck."
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM

When my DS were smaller I could not afford a babysitter for 2 so I quit work to become a babysitter. DH would come home from "work" and snidely say something about what I had done during the day. I kept my sons 8&4, 4yr, 3yr, 2 2yr and 2 under 1. He had to have knee surgery and was to be out of work for 8 wks. I Requested that he help me with the 2 babies (bottles & playing) I did diapers. He was back to work in a month. He could not take the "activity". Swore he would never complain again if Dinner was a few minutes late and there were toys on the floor.

At this point DS and DIL are separated because she was raised that the husband was to work and provide everything and she was to "look pretty" when he came home.(HER WORDS)
I just tell them it takes 2!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Nothing to add, y'all have said it all so well.LOL
Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Yes, way back in the 1930s, I remember that the men got fed first, the women came in last and sat down to eat, while the kids were fed in the kitchen. The women sometimes didn't get the good parts of meat, that went to the men, then the kids.

I suppose that it was a throwback to when the mens' strength was vital to keeping the home and family safe.

As for welcoming the man home, that's good sense. I would hand him a cold drink in summer, hot tea in winter, the newspaper, then rush in and fry ONE piece of bacon, then stare into the freezer, wondering just what the heck to cook for dinner. But in the meantime 'he' was settled in comfort, knowing that dinner was on its way and not to much in touch with the timing of it. Kept him happy till we were parted by his last stroke.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM

[ Over twenty years ago, he was whining and complaining about his job. He said I had it easy staying at home with the two kiddos all day. He decided rather quickly that he owed me an apology, saying it was much harder than he ever imagined..
-------------------------
When I broke my ankle way back in the mid 1970s, my husband took off from work to take care of the kids and house. It was an eye opener to him!! One daughter, age 16, was allergic to wheat and milk, other daughter, one year older, flatly refused to eat eggs "because they came from a chicken's butt" and son, 7, tried to refuse to eat anything except macaroni.

PLUS the old Doberman had to have a special diet, the young Dobie had to have extra fat in her diet, the old cat had kidney problems and had to have a special diet, and the young cat had to have special kitten food.

After I returned from a week in the hospital, my dear, DEAR husband told me many times how he appreciated my never complaining about staying home. That lovely man was forever supportive of anything I wanted to do to get out of the house, volunteering with Red Cross, hospital, etc. He was the best.