Grumpy

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
don't call ahead, then I would have to comb my hair, change clothes, pick up the clutter in the house, load the dishwasher, scrub the bathrooms, sweep all the floors and would be to tired to enjoy your company.
LOL I totally agree!!!

After reading these replies, I see I am really in the minority here, what with being happy to receive visitors without advanced notice. I guess I like knowing that my friends and family can stop by anytime and expect a warm welcome and a cup of coffee (even if I have to wash the cup first!). That being said, I don't expect that my friends are the same. The dropping in or calling first is one of those things I always make a point of asking people as I get to know them. I know exactly which of my friends I can drop in on and which I can't. I think respecting your friends and family is key to a healthy relationship. Growing up, my father would have a THROMBO if you showed up unannounced at his house - perhaps that is why I lean the other direction. I just love the idea that my home is a warm, open haven to all and that my friends will love me and understand if I tell them it is not a good time for a visit.

Last edited by Mad Mimm; 12-09-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM

I agree with valleyquiltermo who said that it is rude to take someone's time without asking. I've had drop-ins who stayed way too long and ruined my plans for the whole day. And perhaps it is a flaw in my personality, but I feel very uncomfortable when folks drip in and my house is not clean and neat. I realize that THEY don't care, but "I" do....and I can't relax and enjoy their company. THEY don't care if their house is presentable....so they don't think others should care either. It all comes down to, "Different strikes for different folks!"

I've also been visiting a friend and someone else dropped in and took over the conversation.....and there I sat. Not much fun!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM

I really don't mind people dropping in to see me. I take it as a compliment that they want to see 'ME'. My house is filled with 3 dogs and a cat so it doesn't matter how clean I try to keep it, it is still 'hairy'. Pet toys are on the floor but the house is usually rather neat and clean. I am really grateful to have a person come over, I can always grab some lipstick to put on before they get in the house.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Hmm makes me rethink my dropping in on friends. I used to go to one friends house everytime I was in town but have seen her once since May when I decided it was a one way friendship. She promised to call me to tell me where she would be the day of my surgery but have not heard from her. Thank God for children!! I guess I will call or just pass them by. I welcome company any time IF you came to see me if you came to see my house well I guess I gave you something to talk about!! LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
don't forget the great "housekeeping hint" posted here a while back - Keep 2 or 3 "Get Well' cards prominently displayed at all times, and your guests will forgive your sloppy house cleaning!
Oh My Gosh!! First time I had seen this! I love it. LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
How does everyone feel about people you haven't seen in a long time just dropping in for a visit? I must be getting old and grumpy but I would like a call first.
Me too, don't care for drop in company by anyone.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 AM

I've worked shift work for years. Please just don't drop in at my place....I may be asleep, unpresentable, or just plain sick and tired of people.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM

It's rather odd, but though I would never drop in on someone without calling, I don't mind at all when someone pops in on me. I love to have company,and my philosdophy is that if I can live in my mess 365 days a year, you can stand it for a few hours.
Actually maybe that is because my house is rarely very messy. A little cluttered with raising 3 grandkids, but never dirty. I love people, and would hate to miss seeing an old friend or family member, just because they weren't able to give me any advance notice. The only time it has ever been a problem is when they arrive, just as I'm headed out the door for something I can't get out of. I guess, "to each his own", but I'd sure hate to miss out on seeing someone for the last time, just because they felt they couldn't drop in because they hadn't called first.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Just stop on by any time. My house won't be any cleaner if you call first, it is what it is. If I'm having a bad fibro day, perhaps your visit will help distract me from it. You might have to make the coffee, but that's ok. If you call first, I'd probably beg off, but your visit would be good for me so come on over!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM

I love to have friends/neighbors/family drop in!! My friends never come with 'judgment' on how I or the house looks and I never do that to anyone. They don't "drop in" to stay over, but if the visit extends to a mealtime and I don't have much in the house we go out or do pizza. Just nice to be together! Sometimes, people are just in the area doing something else and I'm glad they have thought of me!