Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy

Unhappy Grumpy

How does everyone feel about people you haven't seen in a long time just dropping in for a visit? I must be getting old and grumpy but I would like a call first.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely want a call first. I might need to prepare a snack or meal. How do they know we are okay or have other company. How do they know if we have other plans? That is to me rude to say the least. Barny

This is why I live way out , where you really have to call to make sure I am home it a long drive from anywhere not to find me home...

while I generally like to have visitors, announced or not, nowadays there is no reason for them not to call first.

Nope, doesn't bother me at all. Mind you, they run the risk of catching me in my sloppy's and looking like a train wreck, but hey, I am always happy to see a friendly face at my door. I love surprises and have always told my friends they are welcome at any time and drop on by!!! I think it is an especially nice surprise when it is someone I haven't seen in a long while.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    I want that call also, and it makes me wonder why there Really visiting, bunnie has a friend who thinks he can just pop in at any time, funny how i'm often sick and go to bed and i stoped taking bunnie out to lunch with him.
    so he has to do all the work.
    its been a while since hes just droped in i think its working
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

I want a call and it better not be from the driveway. I'm one of those people that need lots of notice for anything. Can't stand to have anyone in the house if it's not clean and presentable. So come on over but call a day ahead!
    Debra

I generally like people and am glad to share time with them. I don't usually judge folks by their housekeeping and I hope they feel the same. Maybe it's because I still have a kid and am used to having other folks in the house.

don't call ahead, then I would have to comb my hair, change clothes, pick up the clutter in the house, load the dishwasher, scrub the bathrooms, sweep all the floors and would be to tired to enjoy your company.

don't forget the great "housekeeping hint" posted here a while back - Keep 2 or 3 "Get Well' cards prominently displayed at all times, and your guests will forgive your sloppy house cleaning!

I like a call before having people just drop in especially if they are from out of town and like to do the same thing. I live in such a small town it is very common for people to just drop in for a min to visit or see my latest project. On the other hand my hubby thinks it is just fine to just drop in on people without a notice. I guess when they just drop in and my house is a mess they will have to excuse it.
    Lorraine

I'd rather have a couple of hours notice so I can get myself together and get myself out of the quilt room.
    When I'm at my daughters home all her husbands friends and family just stop by to visit with them. I think that is rude as I don't get to see my daughter and granddaughters very much.

Well I may be getting grumpy at this point in my life. I used to love people coming over announced or not, but now I prefer a little notice, I have so much to do I have to allot my time more now days.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    my Husband would be like that, drop in on friends or relatives when we were traveling on vacation. no call unless it was 15 minutes ahead. i was so embarrassed. if anyone comes here without calling, they take us as we are. a mess!

Blog Entries
    I would appreciate a heads-up. The one that really frosted me was when our neighbors listed their house for sale. Mom worked during the day, and Dad's car was a mid-life crisis 2-seater, so when they got the call that a realtor was going to show the house, Dad would pack the daughter in his car and send the son to my house WITHOUT NOTICE and WITHOUT ASKING. That seemed to stop the day I had to take my son to soccer and left his son on his own doorstep.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Kat Sews -a surprise visit could also surprise the visitor And the look on their faces is priceless and if I brush my hair my little Clem thinks we're going bye-bye and it breaks his heart if its only for company

I would have to say it depends on who the unannounced drop-in is. I have friends who I adore and would welcome anytime, night or day, without hesitation. However, I had someone (two someones actually) ring my doorbell at 9p.m. on a Sunday to see me. I had neither seen nor heard from this person in over 8 years and the last time we had spoken, it was not great--I was annoyed and via the intercom in the building, I asked them to call me and I did not let them in. I never heard from them again. Oh well... it'd been years anyway and I really had not missed them in all those years...

I love my friends and family, but I expect a call to see if I'm here or if I have time for visitors or not.
    I have always been this way since I've been on my own. I had no choice when I lived at home, but I do now.
    I feel it is very rude to take someones time without asking. I never drop in on anyone and neither does my husband. I now live behind a locked gate about 3/10s a mile from my house, so It is good if you call as you might waste your time comming here. Please give me a call a few days ahead to make an apt and I'll do the same for you.
    Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 12-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    I don't like unannounced drop ins. I don't care if you are five minutes or five hours away, call first. It shows respect and is common courtesy. I live in a one way in one way out division so visitors aren't just passing by. My driveway is long so I can see who is coming before they get here.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-09-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    i agree i woul;d like a phone call or a little notice I would never do that to someone guess was I was brought up
    QUILTNMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
    don't call ahead, then I would have to comb my hair, change clothes, pick up the clutter in the house, load the dishwasher, scrub the bathrooms, sweep all the floors and would be to tired to enjoy your company.
    LOL I totally agree!!!

After reading these replies, I see I am really in the minority here, what with being happy to receive visitors without advanced notice. I guess I like knowing that my friends and family can stop by anytime and expect a warm welcome and a cup of coffee (even if I have to wash the cup first!). That being said, I don't expect that my friends are the same. The dropping in or calling first is one of those things I always make a point of asking people as I get to know them. I know exactly which of my friends I can drop in on and which I can't. I think respecting your friends and family is key to a healthy relationship. Growing up, my father would have a THROMBO if you showed up unannounced at his house - perhaps that is why I lean the other direction. I just love the idea that my home is a warm, open haven to all and that my friends will love me and understand if I tell them it is not a good time for a visit.
    Last edited by Mad Mimm; 12-09-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I agree with valleyquiltermo who said that it is rude to take someone's time without asking. I've had drop-ins who stayed way too long and ruined my plans for the whole day. And perhaps it is a flaw in my personality, but I feel very uncomfortable when folks drip in and my house is not clean and neat. I realize that THEY don't care, but "I" do....and I can't relax and enjoy their company. THEY don't care if their house is presentable....so they don't think others should care either. It all comes down to, "Different strikes for different folks!"

I've also been visiting a friend and someone else dropped in and took over the conversation.....and there I sat. Not much fun!

I really don't mind people dropping in to see me. I take it as a compliment that they want to see 'ME'. My house is filled with 3 dogs and a cat so it doesn't matter how clean I try to keep it, it is still 'hairy'. Pet toys are on the floor but the house is usually rather neat and clean. I am really grateful to have a person come over, I can always grab some lipstick to put on before they get in the house.

Hmm makes me rethink my dropping in on friends. I used to go to one friends house everytime I was in town but have seen her once since May when I decided it was a one way friendship. She promised to call me to tell me where she would be the day of my surgery but have not heard from her. Thank God for children!! I guess I will call or just pass them by. I welcome company any time IF you came to see me if you came to see my house well I guess I gave you something to talk about!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    don't forget the great "housekeeping hint" posted here a while back - Keep 2 or 3 "Get Well' cards prominently displayed at all times, and your guests will forgive your sloppy house cleaning!
    Oh My Gosh!! First time I had seen this! I love it. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast