Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
    How does everyone feel about people you haven't seen in a long time just dropping in for a visit? I must be getting old and grumpy but I would like a call first.
    Me too, don't care for drop in company by anyone.

I've worked shift work for years. Please just don't drop in at my place....I may be asleep, unpresentable, or just plain sick and tired of people.
    Lynda K
    down on the farm in S.W. Ontario Canada, when I'm not at the trailer!

It's rather odd, but though I would never drop in on someone without calling, I don't mind at all when someone pops in on me. I love to have company,and my philosdophy is that if I can live in my mess 365 days a year, you can stand it for a few hours.
    Actually maybe that is because my house is rarely very messy. A little cluttered with raising 3 grandkids, but never dirty. I love people, and would hate to miss seeing an old friend or family member, just because they weren't able to give me any advance notice. The only time it has ever been a problem is when they arrive, just as I'm headed out the door for something I can't get out of. I guess, "to each his own", but I'd sure hate to miss out on seeing someone for the last time, just because they felt they couldn't drop in because they hadn't called first.

Just stop on by any time. My house won't be any cleaner if you call first, it is what it is. If I'm having a bad fibro day, perhaps your visit will help distract me from it. You might have to make the coffee, but that's ok. If you call first, I'd probably beg off, but your visit would be good for me so come on over!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I love to have friends/neighbors/family drop in!! My friends never come with 'judgment' on how I or the house looks and I never do that to anyone. They don't "drop in" to stay over, but if the visit extends to a mealtime and I don't have much in the house we go out or do pizza. Just nice to be together! Sometimes, people are just in the area doing something else and I'm glad they have thought of me!

I want a call ,if not I don't answer my door!!!!

Blog Entries
    I used to die of embarrassment when my folks would 'go for a drive' and drop in on someone. My dad's excuse was that he didn't want the people to 'to to any trouble' just because we were stopping by. I thought it was rude.

Now, I welcome folks who drop in on me. My house is open to friends. if I have to leave for something I can't put off util later, I tell them how long we have to visit. otherwise, I put on the coffee or get out the wine, and we have a good chat.

Quote Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
    How does everyone feel about people you haven't seen in a long time just dropping in for a visit? I must be getting old and grumpy but I would like a call first.
    I used to like a call so I could tidy up if needed, nowadays I accept that they have come to see me not how well I keep house. I must be getting old as I now think any visitors have to take me as they find me mess an all.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    - John Lennon

I'd like a call. I live in the mountains, and we are a mile up the dirt road. Snow is tough, mud is worse, noone just randomly comes by. thank goodness
    always give back and forward

i work 12 hour days at a high stress job. i have a hubby with parkinson's, who is not much good around the house (he never has been--lots worse since the parkinson's) i raised 3 kids, had a house full of pets, yard full of chickens, a house full of projects, and a head full of ideas. now, i'm too tired out to do much more than "maintain". if you know me well, come on over, and i'll find a horizontal surface for you to sit on. most of them are covered with papers, reference books, continuing education, and fabric. if you are expecting to see a showplace, don't bother coming over, or give me a week's notice. never--i repeat, NEVER wear your white gloves or expect perfection. i have a life outside my home, and it consumes most of my time.

and when i retire in a few years, my first two weeks are going to be spent in my jammies, just catching up on sleep. then, and only then should you approach the house. and then, bring chocolate. or fabric. or both. then, we'll talk.

crabby old broad, huh? nope. it's self defense. i'm too tired to care, and too old to compete. home is where i come to hide out--not to show it off. come to visit me, not to look at the environment. if you arrive and surprise me, i'm not responsible for my reaction--or for ignoring you out there, knocking on my door...
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

My home is alway open for family or visitors, I have nothing to hide and the welcome mat means exactly what it says.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I enjoy people but call first, usually its just a few things to pick up since my sewing is out in the other room. But I maybe leaving for a while or not feeling good or not feeling like having anyone over for a visit, so I tell people call first !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Dee
    I like a call ahead. I myself don't feel comfortable just dropping in on someone. I think its courtesty.

Drop-in's drive me crazy. I would prefer a call first. Sometimes my house is not in the neatest condition, sometimes I have more dishes in the sink than just a cup or bowl, sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with people and being a good hostess.
    I try to call and give somebody a heads up and let them know if I would like to stop in to say hi, that way if it isn't convienent for visitors they can say so. Even placing a phone call to just chit chat I will try and ask if it is a good time.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

If you are coming to see me drop in anytime if you are coming to see my house call two months in advance!

Blog Entries
    Friends are friends and always welcome. Just have to take us as we are. A friend once said the good thing about old friends is they know how you live and accept you anyway. If I go to anyone's place and they start apologizing about the state of the house I say " I've come to see you because I enjoy your company and not to look at your house".

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
    Nope, doesn't bother me at all. Mind you, they run the risk of catching me in my sloppy's and looking like a train wreck, but hey, I am always happy to see a friendly face at my door. I love surprises and have always told my friends they are welcome at any time and drop on by!!! I think it is an especially nice surprise when it is someone I haven't seen in a long while.
    This is how I feel, however, was let down by someone i considered to be a good friend, who commented on the housework to all and sundry. If they don't like it, they don't have to come.

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    Friends are friends and always welcome. Just have to take us as we are. A friend once said the good thing about old friends is they know how you live and accept you anyway. If I go to anyone's place and they start apologizing about the state of the house I say " I've come to see you because I enjoy your company and not to look at your house".
    I don't mind good friends who just drop in, it is the people who I don't see forever who do the drop in. Usally my friends will give a call first whether I asked them to or not.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2