Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone tried this new diet? Any good? Sounds very interesting! >

Has anyone tried this new diet? Any good? Sounds very interesting!

Has anyone tried this new diet? Any good? Sounds very interesting!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Go to Sparkspeople.com. It is free and great. I have been on it for 6 mos. and still love it. I would highly recommend it.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM

Sandygirl, you are absolutely correct! well-said...
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM

Archaic Arcane... also well-said!! I've read/studied (on my own, not professionally)/attempted good nutrition my entire married life. My husband tends to gain quickly... his sweet mother (who I adored) was morbidly obese... our daughter struggles with weight... well, not now... but when she was little, she did.... poor thing. She is very disciplined now, and that is her solution. If she slides the tiniest bit, she gains.

All that to say, while I'm not a professional, I've read a LOT on this and these two ladies have spoken (what I believe to be) truths!!

It is a lifestyle choice... it is not an easy lifestyle choice....
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks Running1. I don't do this professionally either, my dad does, so I've absorbed a lot that way too. Food became something I wanted to learn about because I became the "canary in the mineshaft", and became sensitive to a lot of things, still am, but through education we manage a lot better, and eat a lot healthier for it.

unfortunately, there's no magic pill (or diet). It's lifestyle and hard work.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Stop drinking alcoholic beverages. Expend more calories than you take in. (Walking will do; don't have to go crazy!)
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 AM

I am loosing weight. Since April 1st, I've lost 22#s, averaging 2#s a week. Some weeks I lost weight & others I didn't. I am exercising on the elliptical, 1 hr 6x a week. I've reduced my calorie intake to about 1500 calories a day. Most days I go over the allotted calories, but it's ok! Allow yourself your error and move on - don't let it be an excuse to stop trying. The more veggies you put in, the more food you get to eat. I allow myself a small treat most every day but I don't let that treat go over 250 calories. Give yourself credit, every day, for any success you may have no matter if you ended up past your calorie goal. If you ate a 300 calorie salad instead of that 230 calorie candy bar, that's a cause to celebrate! BE KIND TO YOURSELF! Don't give up on yourself! Join me (Roseanne Terrill) on facebook where I've been logging in every day since April. You will see how most days my calories are in the red (meaning I've gone over my allotment for the day) BUT I'm still loosing weight! I'm not following any program, I'm eating real foods I would eat every day (including pizza, Chinese, spaghetti, etc.) It's all about PORTION CONTROL. It's not easy, but you can do it too!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove View Post
I am loosing weight. Since April 1st, I've lost 22#s, averaging 2#s a week. Some weeks I lost weight & others I didn't. I am exercising on the elliptical, 1 hr 6x a week. I've reduced my calorie intake to about 1500 calories a day. Most days I go over the allotted calories, but it's ok! Allow yourself your error and move on - don't let it be an excuse to stop trying. The more veggies you put in, the more food you get to eat. I allow myself a small treat most every day but I don't let that treat go over 250 calories. Give yourself credit, every day, for any success you may have no matter if you ended up past your calorie goal. If you ate a 300 calorie salad instead of that 230 calorie candy bar, that's a cause to celebrate! BE KIND TO YOURSELF! Don't give up on yourself! Join me (Roseanne Terrill) on facebook where I've been logging in every day since April. You will see how most days my calories are in the red (meaning I've gone over my allotment for the day) BUT I'm still loosing weight! I'm not following any program, I'm eating real foods I would eat every day (including pizza, Chinese, spaghetti, etc.) It's all about PORTION CONTROL. It's not easy, but you can do it too!
Good job Roseanne! This is the best most tried and true way to do it. By the time you reach your weight goal, you'll have the habits ingrained in you and be fit for life!

You bring up a really good point. Some days, you fall off the wagon, but that doesn't mean you're out. You're out if you decide you're out. The fact is being at a good weight is important for your entire body and mind! If you "guilt yourself" every time the day doesn't work out perfectly, you create complexes. Accept it, adapt, overcome.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM

Way to go Roseanne!!! It truly is about portion control... along with the other great truths mentioned... So many people have no idea how much they really are eating! I recently asked my sweet hubby to show me one tablespoon of his favorite: peanut butter... he showed me about 6 tablespoons using a serving spoon! (Bless him...) He was amazed at how many Calories he was snacking on!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Thank you c joyce and tashana It sure sounds like it is working good for you. I cant wait to get the book and see what she has to say, I just read part of a different book that read like an info-mercial, totally the wrong thing for me. That's a total turn off.
Thanks for all the info ArchaicArcane. Roseanne sounds like your doing fabulous. Fivepaws, I will check out the site you sent, thank you! Sandy, it is very important for the thyroid to be checked as well, I did.
Sunnye I'm not a drinker, but the info is absolutely correct. Thank You All.