Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever lost a diamond? >

Have you ever lost a diamond?

Have you ever lost a diamond?

Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM

I don't wear diamonds. My engagement ring is an emerald. Yep lost my stone. Had to buy a new ring. Lost that stone too. Now I have my ring checked and repronged on a regular basis.

I am sorry you are going thru this
Old 10-15-2018, 06:20 PM

like sewn3w, my engagement ring is an emerald and a high prong setting--I've broken off prongs on 2 occasions, but luckily did not lose the stone Jeweler said to have prongs professionally checked about every 3-5 yrs. Since real emeralds are easily impacted by chemicals, I always took my ring off when I got home from work--did not want to mess it up when doing horse chores, cooking, etc. Now I usually just wear my Claddaugh ring my DH gave me (wedding band is wayyyy too small!)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 PM

How interesting that both of you have emeralds in your engagements rings. I do, too! I cracked the first emerald and it fell out. That was after probably 6 or 8 years. We went back to the same store we bought it at and had it replaced. I've cracked the one that's in there now, but it's still in place so I've left it. I keep saying I'll replace it when it comes out, but its still there so I'm still waiting.

I did lose a small diamond out of a pair of earrings, but that's the only diamond I've lost. It is a good idea ot have your rings checked to make sure the prongs are secure and not bent or damaged.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 PM

When we got engaged in '74, I "insisted" on designing the ring myself. One carat, high mount, 4 prongs. Black background, and gold scroll work all the way around. Wedding band was two wide gold ring guards. (What was I thinking??) I worked in an office at the time, and within one year of marrying in 75, it had to be fixed twice due to getting it caught/slammed in a filing drawer. The third time the stone fell out and couldn't be found, (79), DH said he'd take the ring to have the stone replaced and fixed. He came home with a plain gold band, and I've worn that since then. Sorry for your loss, but maybe insurance might help.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:00 PM

I had my diamond reset with new prongs and had only been wearing it for a few weeks when I discovered that the new prong setting and diamond were missing. I, too, was so sad that it was lost.

I noticed it before I went in to a clinic for an appointment. After I returned to the car, I decided I needed to look around the car before I went back to my previous stop to ask them to watch for it when they cleaned. I looked and looked and then I found it in the most unlikely place: the rubber seal on the bottom of the inside door opening! I was so thankful! It is a small diamond but still meant lots to me. My husband took it back where we got it repronged and, I have a feeling, gave them a piece of his mind. I know he came home and said they didn't think they were responsible because they thought I must have hit it on something. I had worn the previous setting for years without a problem. They finally agreed to fix it without a charge. I eventually had it reset for our 25th anniversary but it is now too small to wear. LOL!

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 10-15-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 AM

Yes. and that sick feeling in your stomach. Then I thought of the insurance. I raced home and dug out the policy. But lost stone out of ring is excepted out. So I was SOL.

I hit the back of my hand on the milker rather hard but did not realize for a couple of hours that the stone was gone. I went back, swept the barn, looked in the hay manger. Nothing. The owner had scheduled that area to be concreted in 3 days. I searched diligently, but the concrete truck came and somewhere under that slab is my big diamond.

I have a good friend who lost her stone while feeding the chickens. Many years later, after butchering some chickens, she was cleaning gizzards. There was the diamond working as a grinding stone in a chicken's gizzard.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 AM

I wear 8 rings. Yep one on each finger. 4 of the rings were prong mounts. Lost a ruby stone out of one ring. Had it replaced & lost that one too. I'd snag them on towels/etc.. I had them all fixed several times over the years. I finally gave up getting rings fixed with prong settings & had them all done in bezel mounts. No more lost stones.

I worked in a garment factory many years ago. One lady lost her diamond from her engagement ring & was so upset. We were all looking for it, but no one found it. Fabric dust & cuttings all over the work tables & floor made it hard to find a tiny stone. Then I suddenly saw it laying on the very edge of her work table. She was very happy to have it back.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 AM

Yes I did and I was lucky because we had a rider on our insurance policy so it got replaced.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I have lost 2.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:31 AM

My friend lost her wedding ring while doing yard work. She said her DH wasn’t upset - so she surmised it wasn’t as expensive as she figured. Funny !
We have a metal detector and got asked to search for an engagement ring lost on a lawn. It was successful !