Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you had your DNA done? >

Have you had your DNA done?

Have you had your DNA done?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
AnnieDeb--a question--since there's research that many Irish share DNA with Iberian Penisula DNA does Ancestry specify that or give any information on it?

My husband wants this for his birthday and I'll get it for him. I've not had an interest cause I have very complete genealogy records on both sides going back many generations to Europe. There are a few gaps, but wondered if the DNA tests fill that in enough to make it worthwhile?
This is so interesting as I've been told that a multiple great grandmother on my mother's side was "Spanish". One of my brothers recently had his DNA done and told me he is 97% Irish(don't know if he is joking, although it is possible) but he never answered about the other 3% so I still wonder about the "Spanish" great---grandmother story.
Maybe I'll get mine done.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:12 AM

I doubt I will have it done. I know my family "wigwam" since my Cousin and I have spent eons tracing it back hundreds of years. Either through written documents and family oral history. Plus delving through hundreds of pages of the U.S. Census.
Times as they are today, it makes me wonder how long will it be before the government will get this info and how it will be used.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM

I have thought about it, but so far decided against it. We have tracked my mom's family back to the late 1500's. My dad's father's family not so much. And there is some problem in the Ancestry checks because they have confused my grandmother with my grandfather's first wife. Not sure why that happens but it does. So it has made me a bit suspicious of the sites.

One of my MD's wanted to check my DNA for medical reasons and I refused. I really don't want to live my life thinking what might happen. I will be 63 in June and go through the regular yearly exams and studies. I have had breast cancer, and it tried to return again so had double mastectomies. For other medical reasons had to have a total hysterectomy last year. My mother always said getting old is not for the fain of heart. So what will be will be.

And have to admit I have the same concern Chasing Hawk has.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-26-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Waiting on our results now. We are excited, for sure. We have traced my relatives way far back to Germany and met many distant cousins on trips there. On my husbands side we have some info but his Dad was adopted back in the early 1900's and can't find much to trace on him. His Moms side we found back to Switzerland. My daughter in law found her relatives names listed on ships logs from Ireland to US during the potato famine and has connected with cousins there. So interesting to know your background.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Jan I had mine done back in Dec when it was on sale. Mine is very much like yours. I was always told I was of Irish and English decent, but it turns out that I am more Scandinavian, also Western Europe, Iberian Peninsula and even less than 1% Russian, and 1% African (Benin/Togo)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:20 PM

My husband was very interested so I purchased Ancestry for him for Christmas at $69. however, due to backlog, we are still waiting on his results. Will post with our thoughts upon receipt.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:08 PM

There is a site called GedMatch where you can upload the results from the kits. I don't know much about it but a friend said that they gave more detailed info based on the kit results. I will put in a link but I have no association with them...just thought it would be interesting to some of you.
https://www.yourdnaguide.com/upload-to-gedmatch/
Old 02-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I looked at theheritage site mentioned and it looked like I had to download something. I don't do that. Does Ancestry require me to download anything? I don't think they do.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Purl View Post
My husband and I have no interest in DNA testing for ourselves - -But! we have a new 4 year old rescue dog we would really like to know more about. He is such a mystery in so many ways and his vet seems to feel we would learn a lot about him if we knew his breed make-up. $70. Think we will do it!
Purl
I had my dachs/lab done about 10 years ago when they were first doing DNA on dogs. It came back mostly dachshund with a small amount of . . . wait for it . . . MALAMUTE

Everyone laughs about that. I'm not seeing it.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-26-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 PM

My other reply timed out. Here's the dog that DNA said was mostly dachshund with a little malamute. He's about 40 lbs and has webbed feet, the soft mouth and trainability of a lab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569060[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scooter-qb.jpg