Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you had your DNA done? >

Have you had your DNA done?

Have you had your DNA done?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:37 PM

This DNA testing program was on "Inside Edition and the Doctors." The identical triplets had the DNA testing and the test results all came back different.

https://www.littlethings.com/identic...lets-dna-test/
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I doubt I will have it done. I know my family "wigwam" since my Cousin and I have spent eons tracing it back hundreds of years. Either through written documents and family oral history. Plus delving through hundreds of pages of the U.S. Census.
Times as they are today, it makes me wonder how long will it be before the government will get this info and how it will be used.
That's one of the main reasons I won't have it done.

I've done some fairly extensive genealogy work and I wouldn't put too much faith in what you've been told. I've helped other people with their genealogy work also and what is passed down in the family is often not what really is. It's changed in the telling or to make things appear a certain way, but often not true.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-26-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 PM

I haven't had mine done. I can trace my Dad's family back to the early 1600's, but the other main branches of the family tree are a mystery -- I need to do some international searches for the folks who came to Ellis Island. DH can trace his father's line back to the 1500's in Germany -- his family has published a book no less. We have thought about it but do not want to have the information sold.

You folks who have Scandinavian showing up in what you thought of as a British heritage need to remember that the Vikings did play a part in English history so that may be the link.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 AM

Follow up on my earlier post. Yes, the concern of tracing by the govt. is real. Now there is talk of people selling their organs.....live people. I guess you could sell a kidney, but the rest of it is essential for living.

Fortunately, with iron overload disease and a history of cancer and hyperparathyroidism, no one will want my heart, liver, spleen etc.

But those who have noted the possibility of profit to be made are correct.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:39 AM

My husband had it done several years ago. He has done quite a bit of genealogy and maybe that is the reason we were disappointed in the results. We felt that they were so general that it was not helpful in our case.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:46 AM

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't care about the dna. My sister wanted hers done so I gave it to her for her birthday. I guess if I ever wanted to know I could just read hers.
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I have almost no information on either side of my family, but doubt I would ever fork over $100 for the dna info, it's just not that important to me.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 AM

If you ARE interested and are concerned about the $100 I"think" on Black Friday they do a really good discount. For some reason 30% pops in my mind, so maybe around $69??

Edit - Do remember siblings do not always have the same DNA, like the red haired child who pops into a blonde family. You get half from one parent and half from another parent but not exactly.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 AM

I had a DNA test for medical reasons but in addition, I found out that I have a small but statistically significant heritage from a population that has a greater incidence of some cancers, hair color and penchant for turning silvery gray. So, yes, I learned that group put me in higher risk category but I also learned that other heritage groups counter balanced the negative potential. I did not know that I had the middle European Jewish heritage. It made sense after tying my DNA info with the physical location of one of the branches of a grandfather who immigrated to the US in the early 1900's. Maybe that is why I like to make challah and get goosebumps when I here music sung in Hebrew! My DNA is being activated.

Mostly my experience was just fun finding out about my unknown inherited background and how it related to my chances of particular medical conditions. The info came back to me as percentages from different population groups from Europe, Ireland/England and a couple of others. I bet a DNA search for country of origin would be even more fun! For $100 I would do it, but I have all the info now to satisfy my "need to know".
Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't care about the dna. My sister wanted hers done so I gave it to her for her birthday. I guess if I ever wanted to know I could just read hers.
I understand. When I had my DNA test, for medical reasons, one daughter wanted to know everything while the other wanted to know nothing. So I shared the heritage info and left out the medical info the "don't tell me" daughter. Some folks just want to know and others..... say who cares, I yam what I yam (Popeye). These differences makes us all unique and interesting.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
If you ARE interested and are concerned about the $100 I"think" on Black Friday they do a really good discount. For some reason 30% pops in my mind, so maybe around $69??

Edit - Do remember siblings do not always have the same DNA, like the red haired child who pops into a blonde family. You get half from one parent and half from another parent but not exactly.
I've been thinking about doing this because I am curious, hubby not curious. His family DNA would be one wild ride! He and his brother found out in their 30's that although they have the same last name they do not have the same father. Neither of them is brave enough to broach the subject with mom. We figured out my hubby's son is not his biological child when the kid was around ten. Stepson is now forty and has realized hubby is probably not his dad and is asking questions. So, when kids DNA does't match there is sometimes a well kept secret by mom. Women have been hiding true paternity since before Jesus was born