Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Hit a Quilting Slump? >

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
Your story sounds like mine except for the teaching and online thingy. I go into my sewing room I even have things laid out to do. Go in touch the fabric and walk out. I have even tried to get enthused by going to buy fabric, that didn't work either. I would go to fabric store look at what they have and walk out with nothing. So is there any hope????

Rita
Been there - done that! Only now I shop on-line, order what I like, and then put it in a container to sit. :( I am continuing to design patterns - have about 50 designed, ready to be written, patterned, and marketed, but like I said before, in order to get them to Market, samples have to be made and that is where I am stuck. But, as you have read from others, I think there is hope and I plan to take some of these suggestions and see if I can find an answer. Perhaps meds are the way to go. :)
Marcia
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM

i have gotten into that mode lately. Since I have retired, I don't have people that I interact with to give my quilts to. I have 4 quilt tops that are ready to be put together but what do I do with them. I know I could donate but right now that doesn't appeal to me so I haven't done anything. I can't seem to get into the mood to do anything else
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM

I was in a slump for about 10 years. I've moved in the meantime, divorced, lost a leg, and only have one sister-in-law in the city I live in. No real friend here. I was DEPRESSED! But my sister who lives in NY, (I live in NM) convinced me to start again because she was worried about me not doing anything. So I did one just to get her off my back. That was a year ago.... since then I've finished at least 9, and working on many more. I've found that it keeps me sane, and relaxed. I don't think about my troubles. I just keep on keeping on......quilting has probably saved my life.....so get up girl and get back in there. Start small and you'll find you can do it........then send pictures.....k
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by sam_98
You likely have had some major issues occur a year ago. It is sad you have lost quilting friends. I hope I am understanding what you wrote. A useful book, one that I discovered several year ago, and have been using it again this summer. "The Artist's Way" A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity" by Julia Cameron. This is a great book for blocked artists. It is "A Course in Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self".
Thanks for sharing this book. I don't need the push to get back, but enjoy this type of book as well. We all have so much creativity in us that most people don't even know they have.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 AM

A quilting slump? What is that? Ha, Ha, I obviously haven't hit one yet. However, nothing gets my creative juices flowing better than to look at new quilt magazines and browze new fabrics in stores or online. Sometimes I go to Books a Million, pick up a copy of every current quilt magazine on the shelf and any quilt books that catch my eye, head to a comfy chair and spend a few hours browsing. If I see something I've just "got" to have, I buy the magazine; otherwise, I have spent some pleasurable time getting motivated.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Marcia, I'm not very educated about block names. Would you mind telling me the name of the lovely block in your avatar? Thanks. I'm glad you're here and I'm happy I found this board. I really feel like part of a community. I live in a rural area, and it's great to drop in here any time of the day or night and find someone 'home'. Take care and go for a little self pampering!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM

RE: The Slump

It has been a long time ago but I remember that I felt out-of-place. It wasn't a depression, as when my Mother died, I was just somewhere else. Missing something?
Then my first child went to school and it became apparent - since I was three years old September was the start of something, a new beginning. At four years old I went sneaking into the kindergarten at the school down the block, every day, until they let me attend every day. All my sisters and brothers went to school every day and then I did!

Yes, I was in a slump of sorts. I didn't quilt but I did sew at that time.
Now September is always a new beginning.
Just another story about daily life.
Hope you get some MOJO back,
Quilter68 who is now 69

(Since then,my slump, I have completed a degree and an additional 20 courses. I like school! and I quilt every day.)
Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 AM

I am also experiencing this and am very disturbed about it. I am now at a point where there are no quilt shops in the area and due to personal reasons have dropped out of the local guild. Since I became a caregiver to my mother-in-law, I am no longer able to attend the two Bees that I had been in. I have no inspiration and feel that this is a big part of it.

I am also looking for ideas and a shot in the arm.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

I feel for you. I'm in that slump righ now too. Mine started when I had my surgery back in March and I can't seem to get out of it. I do the same thing you do. Go in my studio with all intentions of being creative, look around and say tomorrow and tomorrow never comes. I am still in a lot of pain, so I'm hoping that when I am 100% healed all of that will turn around. I agree, no one needs a push, or sympathy. I think I need some kind of seed of inspiration that will start to grow and get my quilting juices flowing again. Sorry I couldn't be of any help in getting you out of your slump only sympathize with you.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Not too long ago I hit a quilting slump. I just felt brain dead and couldn't decide what to quilt on customers' tops. I'm now back in a good routine quilting along. I found that a couple days visiting with other quilters and viewing their beautiful quilts gave me the inspiration I needed to get back in the groove.