Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Heads up about some food prices. >
  • Heads up about some food prices.

• Heads up about some food prices.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM

MAYBE 1 DAY, I was talking about the ones saying that they were hoarding away flour, cocoa, sugar and things of that sort. I think what you're doing is very practical and I do some of that myself. I always buy in bulk and keep at least a months worth of grocerys and things of that sort. It sounds like you're eating better than most of us with all the good fruit and veggies that you're raising. If more people could do that, maybe we would all be better off. By the way, what is capsicum? Just curious.

sasst granny
    Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 AM

We also buy in bulk when items we use are on sale. I repackage and vacuum seal and freeze what I can, including flour. If gas prices go up much more I guess I will be riding my horse to town!
    Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by donnalynett
    We also buy in bulk when items we use are on sale. I repackage and vacuum seal and freeze what I can, including flour. If gas prices go up much more I guess I will be riding my horse to town!
    as long as you have to pay to feed that horse you might as well use him...of course that feed is going to go up soon too...
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sassy granny
    I can't believe what I'm reading. All the hoarding is what makes prices jump even higher. If you don't buy it, there won't be a demand, and the prices will come down. Same for the gas prices. I don't see many people trying to curb their appetite for the road. Just my 2 cents worth. sassygranny
    During a shortage it doesn't matter if you buy it or not, it won't change the price at all.
    You are sadly misinformed if you think stocking basic food for several months use is hoarding. Every emergency agency begs people to have at least one month of stored basics on hand, six even better.
    Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by donnalynett
    as long as you have to pay to feed that horse you might as well use him...of course that feed is going to go up soon too...
    His grain has been increasing in price every other week for the past three months. I'd give up eating just so I can afford to keep him as he is my serenity and total joy in my life.
    Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM

By the way, what is capsicum?
    sasst granny
    A capsicum is what you call a bell pepper, I think? It is sweet not hot and can be green red yellow or black.

With the ever increasing prices over here not just with bills for energy and water but also in the food line there has been quite a noticeable shift towards growing your own fruit or veg if you are able to do so.
    We are fortunate in that we live on property and therefore have the space to do so.

Maybe1day
    Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
    By the way, what is capsicum?
    sasst granny
    A capsicum is what you call a bell pepper, I think? It is sweet not hot and can be green red yellow or black.

With the ever increasing prices over here not just with bills for energy and water but also in the food line there has been quite a noticeable shift towards growing your own fruit or veg if you are able to do so.
    We are fortunate in that we live on property and therefore have the space to do so.

Maybe1day
    Thank you, I was just curious. I had never heard of that before. I wish I was able to grow a garden again. I always canned and froze my own foods when I was able but due to a bad back, I can't do it anymore. I do try to buy green beans to can and dry as the ones in the store cans are no comparison to what you fix yourself. I loved my garden and preserving the contents. I hope you have a good growing season.

sassy granny
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Thank you Sassy Granny, I hope our next growing season is a good one as well.

Maybe1day
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Okay Ladies/Gentlemen its time we all arm ourselves with coupons and go to the store! I am serious here! I was reading about the price of tomatoes YIKES !!!
    We are going to be growing our own and freezing as well as canning them even more than we did last year.
    Check out your local paper and online for coupons then go shopping! Might save ya at least a full tank of gas if you shop wisely !
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Am very envious of your coupon shopping deals however we don't have coupon shopping over here where I live more's the pity

Maybe1day