Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Heads up about some food prices. >
  • Heads up about some food prices.

• Heads up about some food prices.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I've been making our own bread since last November especially since a loaf of bread around here goes for over $2.00 a loaf, that's the cheap brand too. I've been making our own pancake mix for several years now as it is cheaper than the pre-mix. we will be raising our tomatoes again this summer.
    Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster
    Originally Posted by Airwick156
    We went to the store on Friday to get some groceries. OMG we went to get some tomatoes that weren't even fully red yet, they were like a pale orange/red color definitely green house tomatoes and they were $4.29 A POUND!!!!! A POUND!!!! I almost had a heart attack. We DID NOT BUY any of them but my husband wanted to so bad but I stood my ground. I told him he can either buy ONE pound of tomatoes and crap it out tomorrow....OR.....we can buy one gallon of gas and go 35 miles....he chose the gallon of gas, but I knew he would see things MY Way. LOL So were hoping to buy a couple of tomato plants and grow some of our own on our patio. And hope no one steals them. LO
    Have you seen those tomato plants advertised on TV
    ones that will harvest 60 lbs (?) of tomatoes?? I am so
    tempted to try, but then again it's the "if it's looks too good to be true, it probably isn't" rule. We're moving to NC in a month,
    so I won't be planting a real garden this year (so sad!!) as we'll
    be in a rental for 6 months.
    Has anyone tried these wonder plants???

In regards to the 'topsy turvy' tomatoes---I know several who have tried them. Most were rather disappointed, and only 1 had any luck at all. They have to be watered EVERY single day, which stands to reason, considering they are planted upside down. Wish I could have a garden but living here make it out of the question.
    Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
    We went to the store on Friday to get some groceries. OMG we went to get some tomatoes that weren't even fully red yet, they were like a pale orange/red color definitely green house tomatoes and they were $4.29 A POUND!!!!! A POUND!!!! I almost had a heart attack. We DID NOT BUY any of them but my husband wanted to so bad but I stood my ground. I told him he can either buy ONE pound of tomatoes and crap it out tomorrow....OR.....we can buy one gallon of gas and go 35 miles....he chose the gallon of gas, but I knew he would see things MY Way. LOL So were hoping to buy a couple of tomato plants and grow some of our own on our patio. And hope no one steals them. LO
    tempted to try, but then again it's the "if it's looks too good to be true, it probably isn't" rule. We're moving to NC in a month,

In regards to the 'topsy turvy' tomatoes---I know several who have tried them. Most were rather disappointed, and only 1 had any luck at all. They have to be watered EVERY single day, which stands to reason, considering they are planted upside down. Wish I could have a garden but living here make it out of the question.
    The ones I'm talking about aren't the Topsy-Turvy variety. These are something different this year. They even advertise
    blueberry bushes, and I think there's one other one, too - I'll have to see if I can catch it again. Why can't you garden in Iowa? Curious.
    Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 PM

If it is space, my sis in law puts hers on the deck in potted plant containers, she grows cherry toms and regular tomatoes every year in them.
    Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM

The ones I'm talking about aren't the Topsy-Turvy variety. These are something different this year. They even advertise
    blueberry bushes, and I think there's one other one, too - I'll have to see if I can catch it again. Why can't you garden in Iowa? Curious.

I can't because I live in Sr. Housing. Before I used to have a huge garden when the kids were still home. Those were the days.
    Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Just remember everyone. That if you store anything that has a flour base to it, like spaghetti, macaroni, cornmeal & sorts including flour, put bay leaves in them or you will eventually get weevils. Also, flour will go rancid. To prevent this from happening, I keep mine in the freezer.
    Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading. All the hoarding is what makes prices jump even higher. If you don't buy it, there won't be a demand, and the prices will come down. Same for the gas prices. I don't see many people trying to curb their appetite for the road. Just my 2 cents worth.

sassy granny
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM

I can't because I live in Sr. Housing. Before I used to have a huge garden when the kids were still home. Those were the days.
    Too bad they don't have an area where whoever wanted to garden could do so. It's such a great activity for all ages and abilities.
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 AM

We have a large vegetable garden and have been producing most of our own veggies such as - lettuce, tomatoes, pumpkin, potatoes, garlic, onions, zucchini, capsicum, egg plants, carrots, parsnips, corn, beets and turnips this year as well as the boysenberries, raspberries, red currants, strawberries and blueberries. In the orchard we have peaches, plums, pears, apricots, 4 varieties of apples, cherries, nectarines, pepinoes, and on the chicken coop we grow passion fruit.
    I (preserve)can what we don't eat fresh and what I can't I freeze or dehydrate. Thank goodness for a large storeroom. We also manage to give quite a few buckets of mixed produce away to friends and family although I have been told by them that I should sell this at the local store to supplement our pensions but somehow this doesn't seem like the thing to do at this stage. I also buy other products in bulk such as toilet paper, tissues, kitchen paper, laundry needs, sugars, flours and so on. Have been doing this for several years and it really does help.

Maybe1day
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by sassy granny
    I can't believe what I'm reading. All the hoarding is what makes prices jump even higher. If you don't buy it, there won't be a demand, and the prices will come down. Same for the gas prices. I don't see many people trying to curb their appetite for the road. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Sassy Granny, I don't see this as hoarding I see this as being prepared and have been living this way for several years now mainly because I live an hour from the nearest shopping centre so it isn't practical to pop down the shop for some milk or bread. With the price of fuel being so high these days we don't drive around with out a purpose either. My DH was saying the other day that it might be time to bring back the horse and cart, I'm tempted.

Maybe1day
    :-D