Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help to recycle Folger Coffee Container >

Help to recycle Folger Coffee Container

Help to recycle Folger Coffee Container

Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Cut a slit in the top and use for old sharps, rusty needles, old blades from rotery cutter, bent pins, Blades from diebites tester, disposable razer heads, have had mine for over a year, still not full, I did wrap duct tape around it to make sure the lid didn't pop off by accident.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 AM

I cover mine with pretty fabric and use around the house and sewing room. I've even used them to create risers for a shelf above my work area -- sturdy and works very well.

To cover -- simply measure around the can, add seam allowance plus about 1/8" or less to fit snug around the can.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 AM

These cans are very easy to use in many ways. I use for freezing foods, storing pasta, holding small amounts of project working on (punch a hole on opposide sides to make a bucket. Use a purse handle for bucket bail.) Use for many different things. When crocheting have b all or skein inside the bucket to keep from rolling all around or when scrapping use for scrap storage--This is just a few of the things I use them for. At the end of a year i HAVE 12, Now, where to satore them. Be sure they are labeled.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 AM

or a big hole for a bird feeder
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Macie View Post
Would love to rack your brains to see what ideas we can come up with to recyle the container the Folger Coffee comes in. I just hate throwing them away and can not come up with a good use for them. Help
I read some of the responses yesterday, and I think you are really after some type of gift using the coffee cans. I have not tried this pattern, but you may try "My Snowman Pail" by Kathie's Kreations. I have seen it made up and it is really cut.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 AM

in the "tundra" states, like ours, we keep emergency supplies in the trunk in them. there's one of sand, one of salt. there's emergency mylar blankets/first aid stuff in another, with matches, candles, and a couple of nested empty tin cans for a "candle holder", and a "melting pot" for snow-to-water in case of blizzard/off the road troubles. we keep some food things in another one--granola bars, nuts, crackers and cheese snacks, hershey bars, etc. when they are in separate containers like that, they can be easily labelled with permanent marker, and stacked or fit into the trunk or back of a minivan without taking up the room of one big container. when you live in blizzard country, and make it through another winter, the reward is that you get to eat those candy bars in the spring. wouldn't want them spoiling, or anything...just remember to restock the next fall!

the grands keep their legos in them, i keep craft things, buttons, etc. in them--and in the kitchen, i keep the popcorn in one; hubby keeps nails and screws in them. they are the greatest "freebie" since the five quart ice cream bucket!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM

I once used a folgers plastic coffee container to send some things to my Grand daughter, Just taped it up good put name an address on it an sent. no problems . joyce j
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Default Coffee Containers

Coffee containers with lids are the travelers best friend.Fill the the cans with emergency supplies, such as toilet paper,
minus the central cardboard core.you can include water proof matches,packets of hot cocoa or coffee. Work gloves
a small wax candle,a warm knit hat,an emergency blanket.You could also include candy bars, bandages/first aid supplies
or sewing kits.The can could also be used for an emergency bathroom. It can be capped & discarded after use.
Hope this gives you some ideas.I am sure there are lots more.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM

neet ideas thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Banned

if you can't use them, offer them on your local freecycle.org. I have a lady who always comes to get mine, her hubby is a construction/home builder guy and they use them for paints, etc.