Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Home phones

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Yikes. I just realized our "land line" phone is actually provided by our cable company. With a real landline phone, you can make calls out even when the power is off. With a "digital" home phone like ours (provided by the cable company), the service is dependent on the internet. When we have lost power here we have not been able to use the "land line" phone; however, we could still call out on our cell phones. The real land line is most valuable in a natural disaster type situation. Some interesting info here about the differences between these two types of phones:
    http://gizmodo.com/5947158/why-cable...get-a-landline

Both types of home phones offer the address advantage for 911, I think. This is probably because the phones are associated with an exact location. If a call is made from that phone, the location of the phone is known because it is stationary. The wired land line is better in a natural disaster because it is not dependent on internet service.

Cell phones use an entirely different communication system (radio waves, I think) and it is well known that these systems become overloaded in disaster situations.
    Even with a regular land line, you can only make calls when the power is off if you have a non portable phone. I have a cheap one I bought just for hurricane season. If the electric is out the portable phone doesn't work. Also, during hurricanes the cell towers go down. After hurricane Ike the land line came up before the cell towers.

We still have our land line though we rarely use it. We've had it's number since the early 80's and it's the number that everyone knows. Plus we have our internet packaged with it thru AT&T so we just hang on to it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Our cell phones have GPS tracking & caller id so in case of emergency 911 dispatch can locate us at home or anywhere else we are
    I"m not sure that 911 can track you thru cell phone GPS>
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by judi43 View Post
    I have a land line which I need in orde to do Pacemaker check, this won't work on a cell phone. Also we loose
    power often.
    I was going to post the same thing! Both the pacemaker and the power loss!

We just moved back up in the mountains northwest of Denver. We're in a valley that has absolutely no cell coverage from any carrier. And being in the mountains and next to a creek, we need access to the county's reverse 911 system. We just had to get a landline for all those reasons. We haven't had one since the 1900's!

I too would like to get rid of my land line - BUT I live in an area where a lot of the time my cell phone is either "searching" for a signal or shows "no signal", so if I had an emergency I'd be out of luck. Lucky are those who have great cell phone signals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    My mother still has her old Princess Phone for use when the power goes off and she has no desire to own a cell phone at 89. While I have a cell phone, I seldom use it. After working in an office for 50+ years, I have very little desire to chat on a phone and have even less desire for texting.

I still have my old Princess phone too. We have a cell phone and cordless phones in several rooms. I like having the landline for use when the power goes out( then I just haul out the old princess!!

We dropped our land line. And I haven't missed it one bit. Our internet and cable are from the same company, no phone line needed. I was told police and rescue could pin point by cell phones if the phone has the locate my position turned on and if the dept. knows how to do it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

DH and I turned down a nice home with everything we wanted because it had no cell phone and no internet reception at all and unlikely to get it. The real estate agent didn't provide that information until I asked what carriers the area had. She knew the sale was gone when she had to say none at all. If you are moving ask about the coverage. You could be stuck in a dead zone or a no carrier zone.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I'll try to make a short story. I had the land line phone, and I got the wife a cell phone. The bill each month was roughly up to $150.00/cell phone-land line. I went to Verizon, I now have a cell phone now. INFACT, I have the family plan - the program-free texting, unlimitied minutes, and so on. It's only costing me $85.00--$95.00 a month. drop YOUR LAND LINE PHONE SERVICE

"Hard to charge a cell phone with no power!"

Hi Alyce,

When our power goes out, I just use the car to re charge the phones. :-)

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    I'm just old enough, we have kept our landline. It may seem silly to many but I must prefer to do any business or medical issue over a landline. It "feels" like I can hear better everything being said. We both have cell phones but our landline has never dropped a call or faded out.
    I agree with Az Jane. I work in my basement and have a hearing disability. I can hear much better on my landline phone than I can on my cell phone. Also my cell phone often will not pick up the signal from an incoming call. When I want to use my cell phone I need to go outside, up to the SE corner of the deck to use it. We are located in a rural area with few towers. I could easily live without my cell phone and I fear the day landlines are done away with.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMarie1956 View Post
    "Hard to charge a cell phone with no power!"

Hi Alyce,

When our power goes out, I just use the car to re charge the phones. :-)

Susan
    Yes -thanks. We have done that but that means keeping car running for a long time. An option for sure but with long time power outages and gas stations down have to balance needs.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Landlines are refer to phones that are stationary phones, like in our house. Most of the times these days our home phones use electric due to all the great features, like extra extensions that only need an outlet to make them work. You can buy a phone that just plugs into the phone jack and takes no electric, then there are no battery backups needed.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    I"m not sure that 911 can track you thru cell phone GPS>
    Yes, they can. As a matter of fact in most areas, if you have a cell phone but don't have service on it you can still use it to dial 911. Of course you still have to have it charged. A lot of people who don't want to have the bill but want the security of being able to call for assistance while driving get a used cell phone and keep it in their car. Old cell phones (working ones) can also be donated to womens shelters for the women who may need to call for emergency.

I also charge my cell in my car when needed but my car doesn't have to be running to charge. You should check because alot of cars are made like that now.
    Judy

Our crank radio has a USB to charge our cell phones. No power needed.

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    Landlines are refer to phones that are stationary phones, like in our house. Most of the times these days our home phones use electric due to all the great features, like extra extensions that only need an outlet to make them work. You can buy a phone that just plugs into the phone jack and takes no electric, then there are no battery backups needed.

Then you will pay the phone company, right? It isn't free to do that. But we have one of those simply because the power goes out enough where we are to make it worthwhile. We have one phone that plugs into the phone jack.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Our crank radio has a USB to charge our cell phones. No power needed.
    What kimd do you have. We have 2 and boy it takes a lot of cranking to get any charge. One must be in good shape to use that! I hope you can recommend an easier one.
    Alyce

We keep our land line because it is tied into our security system. I put it on vacation once and rethought that action and quickly called them back.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Then you will pay the phone company, right? It isn't free to do that. But we have one of those simply because the power goes out enough where we are to make it worthwhile. We have one phone that plugs into the phone jack.
    I'm not sure what part you are talking about. You have your basic service and x amount of jacks in your house. Here you aren't charged for the number of phones you use in your house just to have additional jacks installed if you need them. all of the phones I was talking about would be covered under your basic service. If you have the ones that have a base phone plus extra extensions you don't pay extra for them. They all plug into an electrical wall outlet and the extenstions pick up the signal from the main phone that is plugged into a jack. Like I have one main phone that is electric and it came with 4 extensions but I only need one phone jack to use it.

But yes, you have a basic fee and it increases depending on how many services you have added to it. For just service with no additional services like voice mail, caller id or forwarding you can pay around 20 a month. To me that's worth it.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I have only read up to page 4.

Has anyone mentioned that cell phone conversations can be overheard with a scanner? With a land line the actual line has to be tapped.

My Dad bought a scanner to listen to marine radio traffic. He lives about 11 miles over water from Vancouver BC and could pick up all sorts of cell conversations.

Now I know some of you will say, you do not say anything on your phone that you should worry about, but that is not true. If you make plans to meet someone for lunch, you are telling the world your house is empty. If you call anywhere that you have to answer security questions you have just given away access to very private information. If you give out your credit card number to book a holiday, you have openly shared your CC number and that you will be away and how long.

I would love to have one less bill to pay. But for $25.00 per month for a good old fashioned land line, I have also have a secure means of communication.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I'm not sure what part you are talking about. You have your basic service and x amount of jacks in your house. Here you aren't charged for the number of phones you use in your house just to have additional jacks installed if you need them. all of the phones I was talking about would be covered under your basic service. If you have the ones that have a base phone plus extra extensions you don't pay extra for them. They all plug into an electrical wall outlet and the extenstions pick up the signal from the main phone that is plugged into a jack. Like I have one main phone that is electric and it came with 4 extensions but I only need one phone jack to use it.

But yes, you have a basic fee and it increases depending on how many services you have added to it. For just service with no additional services like voice mail, caller id or forwarding you can pay around 20 a month. To me that's worth it.
    I thought you were talking about it being free since a lot of posters are trying to cut costs. I know our true landline costs a monthly fee and we have jacks to plug in traditional phones. We also have cordless phones as you described that use electricity and therefore don't work during a power outage.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by mary r View Post
    We keep our land line because there are very few cell towers up here and the land line can always get through. I agree with what the previous people say about getting help and they know where your at.
    Many areas in alaska do not have cell service still, the last numbers that i saw when working in public safety were 50% coverage. Many areas do not have phone service of any kind and use ham radio. 911 on cell phones can pinpoint your location if there are enough towers to triangulate, which for us here is a problem as sometimes there is only a single tower. There are pros and cons for both. Do your research before making the change.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3