Honey Instead of Sugar?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

There are healthier alternatives when eating on the run, some places have a more weight friendly menu now as well, Salads are always a good thing, just limit the amount of dressing, soup and sand where you can ask for little or no mayo etc on it, subs,

A lot of it has to do with how it is cooked, and what condiments it has with it, mustard instead of mayo, little to no dressing or dips, portion size is key in this, save some for later and drink water or something else that you can control the sugar in, it does help if you can get him on board with the cut backs, watching him eat to his hearts content doesn't help. but he has to want to do it or it won't work for him either, have other people as your support , it is important to have strong support, that will tell you if you slip and fall that you can get up and keep going. And take that time to do the 15 min walk, just that will make a difference.

I took a list of things that I could live with out and made the decision before hand not to eat them, then there is a list that I refuse to give up and just limit how much and how often I eat them, I gave up ketchup and still eat icecream,
Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

When out and about it is truly hard to find places where you can get "healthy" food. Do you have any Health Food Stores around you that serve food? We eat at Earth Fare quite often. Not everything they serve is 100% sugar free, but they do have other options. As a rule, my husband and I take our food with us in a cooler when we are out for the day. That way there is no question about what is going in our mouths. This life style is not for everyone, as it takes time to get all the food together.. we have no problem with it as we have been doing it for years and it is just a part of our life. A good way to loose weight I promise you!

Another thing is watch and read everything you purchase from your food store. Just about everything you pick up is loaded with sugar. There are other names for sugar also that you may want to familiarize yourself with. It is a ploy that some companies use as the consumer is not always familiar with other names for sugar. Do a google search for other names of 'sugar'.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I am not that organized at all, though I want to be,

most sugars end with the ose fructose, sucrose, and the such. it is in a lot. and it is in order of how much, so it should never be in the first couple of ingredients, though watch as there can me more than one type of sweetener used as well so it can still add up.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

Cutebuns you are correct about the "ose". Fructose and sucrose are bad! We have a hard time finding packaged food that does not contain any of these sugars.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies and info. This is something I have to do for my health as I'm not getting any younger :-(
Orville Redenbacker light butter is my one weakness and I ain't giving that up! :-)
Old 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM

Marsye,

If you like stevia, you can plant some in the spring. I grew it last summer and used it to sweeten tea and lemonade all summer.

Lisa
Old 12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Marsye,

If you like stevia, you can plant some in the spring. I grew it last summer and used it to sweeten tea and lemonade all summer.

Lisa
You've got to be kidding! I kill artificial plants!!! :lol:
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
If you had to cut back on sugar would honey be a good substitute? You know like on cereal, oatmeal, hot tea, etc. I've always heard that honey was good for you but would it be fattening like sugar?
Some great answers here, if someone uses honey use in moderation. Like stated, has calories and can cause other problems if you go overboard. Got to looking at a jar of honey we had picked up....honey has gotten real expensive the last couple of years....picked up some off brand at the store. Well, guess where the honey was from.....India....UGH.....bees need water available for cooling their hives and such. Don't think I want any Ganges water around anything.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

we use Sugar Twin for cooking. it's hard to find now.grocery stores tend to carry the expensive stuff now. we order it online. Stevia or stepia i don't personally like. but my hubby does.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I eat meat and potatoes too :wink: I cook leaner meats and use canned broth for the gravys... not quite as tasty but the overall calorie count is much less :D:D:D I also enjoy potatoes flavored with herbs add a little more milk to them mashed and avoid gravy. Cutting back on portions, eating more vegetables and less meat also help.

Carbs are good, whole wheat stay with you longer...ever wonder why after eating Chinese you are hungry so soon? Switch to a brown basmatti rice and you won't be hungry two hours later :wink: Also it is what we usually put on our carbs that are what makes us gain weight... cut back on the amount of sauce/butter/gravy you normally would use.

Eating really slow also will make you feel full sooner...cleaning up one's plate is one thing we were taught that is not necessarily good for us :D

Many fast food places have calorie info available, then you can choose the lesser of the evils LOL
I was surprised when I read at one place a 1/4 hamburger, small fry and small shake had over 1800 calories...almost a full days allotment in one meal :shock: