Honey Instead of Sugar?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Agave Nectar is low on the Glycemic scale and much better than honey as it does not raise you glucose level and it tastes like very mild honey. It does not crystallize and lasts forever like honey. I use it the same way I use honey. It's safe for diabetics too. It's great on oatmeal, over grapefruit, in smoothies, hot bread.......... Walmart here has it in a squeeze bottle.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Marsye,

If you like stevia, you can plant some in the spring. I grew it last summer and used it to sweeten tea and lemonade all summer.

Lisa
Wow, good idea. I will have to remember this next spring.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 PM

I found a way to get my popcorn fix in a healthier way than the fully loaded microwave popcorn. Get the 94% fat free kind, pop it and then add 2 teaspoons of healthy oil (I use canola). Your body needs the healthy oil (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, flaxseed and there is one more that is considered healthy but I can't remember it). It tastes just as good as the fully loaded kind. Also I found a dehydrated peanut butter that is better tasting than the regular kind(it is called PB2 -- can order it online -- 85% less fat than regular).

RE: the honey vs. sugar question, the best thing is to cut back on your sweetener as honey has the same calories (or just about) as sugar. I used to put sugar (2tsp per cup) in my coffee. I started cutting back little by little and now I take it without any.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM

I've used brown sugar as a sub to cut back, it seems sweeter than refined white, so less calories for the same "sweet"!! Starch is a sugar, so as far as veggies go, corn, peas, squash,taters, lima beans..all the "pastey" kind are generally starchy and contain alot of sugars. Sugars aren't necessarily sweet!! Its so hard to eat right, it takes alot of thought to meal plan, and I find its more costly too!! Ah, to be 20 again and not have to worry about the junk I ate :-D