Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Clean is Clean Enough - when it comes to one's home >

How Clean is Clean Enough - when it comes to one's home

How Clean is Clean Enough - when it comes to one's home

Old 12-16-2017, 01:17 PM

My sewing room is messy. I know where everything is no one better not touch anything. Kitchen and bathrooms have to be very clean the rest of the house clutter picked up dusted and floors clean.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
Like many, my bathrooms and kitchen are always clean, but this little cross-stitch explains the comfy family rooms - lol:
Mine says "You may write in my dust but please don't date it."
Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Bed made, dust and vacuum every 5-6 days. Never dishes in kitchen sink, no extra Knick knacks to dust around. Bathroom picked up and wiped up every 3-4 days. Generally kitchen floor washed every 2 weeks, bathroom floor every week. Sheets changed Thursday.
I knew a cleaning fanatic who had 4 daughters. If she had a family gathering, daughters had to vacuum, wipe up kitchen floor and clean bathrooms before they went home.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM

I like a clean tidy house so I try my best to have a regular cleaning routine. Everything has a place and if put back it can always be found, I like organisation. My laundry is always up to date with washing and ironing, I can't stand them not being done. Like most, my sewing room is not always tidy and I can close the door. I do like to tidy away after each project. My daughter has a saying " An artist always starts with a clean canvas", so I like to adhere to this saying, clean up before you start again. None of us are perfect and we don't live in a perfect world, there are times when situations happen that prevent us from doing what we would like to. I like to leave a clean tidy house when going away, so that it is nice to come home to one.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:54 PM

I have a saying, "If you come to see me you can come anytime and crawl over stuff if necessary, if you come to see my house, make an appointment". I like clean, but am not obsessive over it. If something comes up and the dishes aren't done, so what, they will be waiting when I get home, I go and enjoy life. My house is not dirty dirty, mostly clutter, which to me makes it look dirty. Wish I could afford a cleaning service, but not in my budget at this time so I just keep at the cleaning a little at a time.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:37 PM

My standards have definitely relaxed over the years. I was overly clean - compulsive, maybe, when I had children, especially young ones. I stripped and rewaxed all my floors every Friday - also bathed the cats, etc. What was I thinking? Now my LR, DR, kitchen and one bathroom are clean and uncluttered. The rest needs some attention.

When we have a family gathering, my children return everything to its place and vacuum before they leave. Not because they 'have to', but because they are considerate adults.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:37 AM

I make my bed everyday , sometimes leave dishes in the sink, try to keep the awful red carpet clean but that is

impossible. The older I get the less I care what someone else thinks. I have seen a lot lot worse.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 AM

I have a trivet that says "Clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy" We have crossed that line AGAIN. I should be sweeping the floor right now.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
As bearisgray said, beds made and dishes washed and put away.

I do the floors when they get crunchy (have 2 cats so cat litter can be an issue).

TxDot is rebuilding and increasing the lanes on the freeway close to my house. Even with windows closed we get a lot of dust so I don't bother to dust unless company is coming and then only minimally - at least that is the excuse I use for not dusting.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was Phyllis Diller who said to keep some get well cards to put out when company came so they would think you had been ill and not able to clean. A friend of mine used to keep cleaning supplies in a bucket and when her mother showed up would greet her at the door saying she was just getting ready to clean. She would vary it with the vacuum cleaner or broom and dust pan.

My philosophy - as long as I am happy and the health department is not knocking on the door, it is good!
I always thought it was Erma Bombeck who suggested the get well cards. Whoever it was was very inspiring. I have abook called "Nobody Said You Had to Eat Off The Floor". It was written by a psychiatrist who said no matter what you will never get it all done. Every person will think there was something else they should have done. Some will think they should have also made a flower arrangement, and if they had the flowers, thought they should have painted the trim. See, you never get it all done. I take this as gospel. I love the idea of answering the door with the dust pan and broom.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

depends on my mood and my state of health. (chronic health conditions).
So when I have enough spoons and something is bugging me, like laundry
on my side of the bedroom, I put things away.
My kitchen is pretty clean, and my floors. I go barefooted in the house a lot
and can't stand a dirty floor under my feet.
My living room is comfy and I can live with it if someone drops by.
The bathrooms are good, but not sterile and get frequent attention, here and there.
If I have a day I'm very tired or not feeling up to par, I block it all out, bc I simply
cannot deal with it. It's still ok. I do have a tendency to let things pile a little before
I say "enough", I can't deal with that another day.
This is all progress for me, as I used to (be able) compulsively clean. It didn't make
me any happier, just took away from my sewing time.