Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am having knee replacement surgery. Any advice from others? >

I am having knee replacement surgery. Any advice from others?

I am having knee replacement surgery. Any advice from others?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM

My DH had his knee replaced about 2 years. I would tell you to do each and every exercise when they tell you to do it. He is doing great but we were very careful. He came out of the surgery with A-Fib and it took him about 4 months to recover from it. He is doing good now, but it was scary for a long time. He was in excellent shape and no dental problems when he had his surgery.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Start exercising your knees now. If you can, talk to whomever will be doing your physical therapy and get them to recommend some exercises you can do now; even just a few weeks will make a difference.

And definitely do them after the surgery. Our school crossing guard had to have his knee surgery redone 3 times because he would not do the exercising. His doctor told him before the 3rd surgery he would not do it again, that he (the guard) had to make the commitment to do his part!

I also went around the house and made sure that throw rugs and anything like electrical cords, etc., that might possibly be a tripping hazard were removed. Look at small stools and other pieces of furniture that might also trip you up. Bending over was hard at first and so, with the second surgery, I knew to move certain items up higher such as toilet paper, cat food, and other items on low shelves.

Make dinners ahead and freeze them so that standing in the kitchen cooking is not needed. Make lists and grocery shop as much as possible ahead of time. I wanted my time spent in rehabbing my knees and not being worried about the every day "stuff".

I loved walking up and down my driveway as part of my exercising so I made arrangements with a neighborhood kid to sweep and /or blow off my driveway every day as my neighbor has 2 giant oak trees and I didn't want to trip over leaves and acorns (had my knees done in the fall).

Check placement of phones and remotes so that they will be in easy reach when you are sitting.

Gather a bunch of hand projects you can do until you can get back to your sewing machines. And don't forget all those books you've been meaning to read.

I know that that may sound counter-productive to getting up and walking but you will be doing a lot of sitting in between exercise periods and nothing was more frustrating than sitting down after doing my exercising and then having to get back up to get something.

I love having had my knees done, almost 7 years ago now. My older brother and sister both tried to talk me out of it saying that I would have to have them done again if I didn't wait until I was older. My reply was that if I didn't get them done "now", I might not make it until "older" and that my knees hurt so bad that even if I had to have them redone after 10-20 years, it would be worth it. Within 3 years of having mine done, they both had theirs done and admitted that they couldn't believe how much relief it was to them.

Good luck and let us know how you do when you can!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM

When I came home from the hospital I had home nursing to help with bathing, change dressing, etc. Wonderful. Then I had physical therapy at my home. Sure was better than having to go out to get it. I highly recommend both services.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:16 PM

accept the fact that when you come out of surgery you are gonna hurt and you are not gonna want to move...but you have to if you want to walk normal again. my husband and my younger brother have both had knee replacements done...they were up and about immediately after surgery..first with walker, then they had about two to four weeks of physical therapy...my husband was back out on the golf course by the fifth week after surgery. he and my brother can do almost everything they used to do. but i guess the biggest thing that left an impression was that they learned real fast that to recover and walk again they had to work through the pain. it was worth it!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM

As a prior ortho nurse, complications are generally due to after care. This is not a piece of cake surgery and it will be painful. You need to make sure that you take your pain medications as ordered. For the first few days, take them routinely. DO NOT wait until you can't tolerate the pain. This will slow your healing. If you smoke, STOP prior to surgery and while recuperating. Smoking constricts the blood vessels and slows healing. It will also increase your pain. Do use hot and cold packs as ordered by your surgeon. Do not use them for more time than the surgeon orders (ex: alt heat and cold 20 mins on, 60 mins off) This will slow your healing. Eat healthy while recuperating. And do the physical therapy that your surgeon orders. DO your home therapy excercises religious! I have seen many patients have continuing problems following a knee surgery just because they won't/don't follow their physician's directions. Good luck to you! You will be amazed when it is all over!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ikesgram View Post
I am having one knee replaced in a few weeks. If any one else has done this, I would appreciate any advice for
before preparations or what I can expect afterwards. Thanks in advance.
Have had both knees done three years apart. On the first one I drove myself to my first visit with doc. 2 weeks after surgery. He didn't like that too much but I felt so good. For both surgeries I went to a "joint camp" in the hospital the day after surgery for a week. Was walking on day after surgery and had to walk to joint camp. It was such a good idea, plenty of exercise and people to talk to. PT and nurse came into my home for a week or two after that. I have chronic depression and even though I healed well with both knees, I became very depressed after about two weeks and couldn't sleep. It was summertime and I was so anxious to get into my garden and my swimming pool, which by the way was wonderful for healing. I don't do well on pain medications so I was in pain for a while. What a bummer. Cried a lot. Normally I am a loner but realize now that it would have been good to have some company everyday and be as involved with others as much as possible.

Funny thing with the second knee. About three months after healing I started having severe pain from my knee to the ankle. Went to doc. He did all sorts of radiological tests, cts, mris, you name it. Came to the conclusion that I had an infection in my knee and that it was also loose. Stuck a 'HUGE' needle into the soft part of the knee to draw fluid, thought I would die. That hurt more than childbirth. Told me I would need to have this replacement removed, have a temporary put in, and wait three months for infection to heal. Then he would take the temp out and put a new replacement in. Yeah, right. Like I was going to have two more knee surgeries. I don't think so. Well, I went home and the following day I had no pain whatsoever in my knee and have not had any since. Go figure. Do you think he scared the pain out of me? That was three years ago and both knees do so well, I can even get on them (with pads) to clean my floors and garden. Whoopee! Best advice, do your physical therapy religiously and the best of luck to you. Let us know how your experience progresses.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM

As a nurse I agree with the making sure you have no infections ,anywhere. The Md's at our hospital put drains in the knee
that allow them to give you your own blood back. They put you on a constant motion machine to give you some bend
before the numbing wears off. If you have a block you do not wake in pain and the numbing is long lasting. We also give
polar care(automatic icing machines) that reduce pain and swelling. My dad was told by the salesman who sold joints not to have anyone do it that did not do 100 total joints a year. My dad did great and was back hunting,golfing and fishing. Good luck and God bless!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 AM

After two knee replacement at the same time in 2004 My advice is ..Do your rehab!!.Expect some pain.... this is healing pain...you can not imagine how wonderful it will be to be able to move around and feel like you did before the problem began.Just remember it takes time.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 AM

I had one knee done in May and the other 5 weeks later. Home the day after surgery and rehab for 5 weeks on each knee. Continue "rehab" with exercise is ongoing, but I am so much more comfortable than before surgery. Actually walked a large mall at Christmas time this year -- a first in many years. Good Luck, and follow the routine you are given
Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM

DH had his knee replaced Nov 23rd. He was high risk due to history of blood clots and diabetes and high blood pressure.

He did great! He was in rehab longer than expected because his leg was 'weak' from a stoke in 2008. They are working on building up muscles in the leg but the joint replacement was a total success.

The only advice I can give is if you need to lose any weight do so now. DH said he wants to lose 100 lbs before the next replacement. He's already lost 25 pounds just from being in rehab and working so hard on the leg every day. (And, he's back on his weight watchers program.)

Oh, and we had a great 'bonus'. He had not felt the bottom of his foot since the stroke. Now the bottom of his foot is very ticklish ... just an extra little bonus from God!

I will say the doctor prescribed all kinds of vitamins while in the hospital including some in the IV. It kept him very healthy!