Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I Will Never Complain About My Kids Again!!! >

I Will Never Complain About My Kids Again!!!

I Will Never Complain About My Kids Again!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
You do know this is called prejudice. You are pre judging these people without ever meeting a single one of them. There are millions and millions of jobs where looks are totally unimportant.
Most people in blue collar jobs work for someone else.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM

I've seen people like that in our city and I cringe and keep walking, and my daughters were scared to death to put any kind of piercing in them other than their ears and I allowed them to make that decision. Between us and our parents tattoo's are also outlawed as adults I can't stop them but as kids I could. I told them all about Hep C and other scary diseases they can get from tattoo machines.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Most people in blue collar jobs work for someone else.
I don't see how these young men can compete for jobs in today's economy when there are 100 or more applicants for each job. Who would choose a man with their physical appearance over someone with a more common place normal appearance to be their employee? Their job history would have to be so outstanding to overcome their appearance- and with all those piercings their exposure to infections is so much greater, an employer would be thinking about the cost of sick time, etc. Plus they would have to be where they didn't see a customer or client or dealt totally with their sub-culture. That's not prejudice. That's economic life.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM

With regards to the job market, its easy to say not to judge by appearance but the hospital I worked in we had to deal with a lot of gang street violence so any employee that was hired that had any kind of a tattoo on their body it had to be completely covered. So long sleeve's in the OK heat is not fun but that was the rules at the hospital and it didn't matter if you were a nurse or pushing a mop. The man that is totally covered in tattoo's from top to bottom do you want to wake up in a hospital room in the middle of the night with that person hovering over your bed. I'd have heart failure!

The economy is so bad now that people with a college degree can't get a job, so who would you hire a man with a degree that is presentable or someone out of one of these pictures, especially if it's a job where they have to walk into a board room to give a presentation, no one would take him or your company seriously image is everything.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 AM

I had not planned to post again on this thread although I do not find the pictures appealing at all. However, when the comments began to criticize those who had unfavorable opinions of these guys/girls, I had to post to say that in our culture, appearances do matter. You have to 'appear' before someone before they can get to know the person inside. In the job market, appearance is a MAJOR factor and probably none of these kids would make a favorable impression on a prospective employer. An employer has to protect his business and would be concerned about the health issues caused by all the piercings and ink. Even in blue collar jobs, there would be the inherent risk of injury.

I also think the "little white world" comment was unnecessary...we have no way of knowing on this board what anyone's race is unless we happen to see a photo. This is not a "white world" issue at all and race should not be a part of the discussion. JMHO!!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because it doesn't match yours doesn't mean it is wrong. It is an opinion.
Wouldn't it be a boring world if everyones opinion was the same.
We were considered hippies in the 70's. Boy did people have opinions on us. Bikers are another group of people who get a bad rap. Oh well this is life....
Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lizzytish View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because it doesn't match yours doesn't mean it is wrong. It is an opinion.
Wouldn't it be a boring world if everyones opinion was the same.
We were considered hippies in the 70's. Boy did people have opinions on us. Bikers are another group of people who get a bad rap. Oh well this is life....
There are bad raps and then there are just reps. Bikers have bad raps and usually police records, like Hells Angels. Motorcyclists do not have a bad rap. The two are very different. There is a different in body art styles. There is a different in body piercings. Bad raps are usually very well deserved.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321528[/ATTACH]

I submit that THIS is a truly SCARY tattoo. (Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter.)
Attached Thumbnails bad-tat.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Eww. While I love most tattoos and my DD has a few piercings if she came home looking like that ..... That is just carrying things too far for me.,
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 AM

I agree with you Nanamoms, this is not a racial issue. Why does everything have to go back to race?