Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas for Grandma Camp needed >

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 AM

And graham cracker architecture. Just use royal frosting as glue- it hardens like cement!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
Several years ago I had my great grands over for a tea party. I told the girls to dress up special with gloves and I had decorated a straw hat for each of them.
So the one great grand son was not left out he was "Garson" the waiter. They had more fun and are still remembering it.
Their "other" grandmother, who lives in same town as the children, gave a Tea Party themed birthday party for oldest ggd few years ago. I WANT to do a Tea Party too, SO bad, but just do not want to steal any of her 'thunder."
I do order Upton teas, have dozens of teas on hand, even make lace, etc. Have given teas for "big" people here, but not for the children. I did not want to encroach on the other grandmother's treats in any way. Do you think since it has been a few years it would be OK?
FYI, send their mother (Shannon) Upton's "River Shannon" Irish Breakfast Tea (my fav!) at the holidays (amongst others). Upton actual prints a gift recipient's name on the label of each selection, for free, if you request this...so it is personalized, kinda special!

:)
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Do another tea party! Perhaps everyone gets a special tag sale teacup. My daughters would happily give one a month. Perhaps you have a neighbor to inmvite. I'd love to come!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I posted directions for how to make a paper box and a bug catcher or it can be a fortune teller.

I learned to make the paper box from a coworker who was from Pakistan. She said when she was a girl they made them when they camped and let the smoke carry the paper boxes up in the air.

Paper Fun How to Make a Bug Catcher and a Paper Box
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-53774-1.htm
Thanks Rhonda...I haven't made one of these in years. Used to do all the time back in grade school, so it's been ages. We never used them over a fire, or for bug catching, but I do see the raw potential there!

:D
Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
It's 90 degrees outside...the only thing I can think of is to take them to a lake and SWIM!!!!
Grandpa rents mountain/dirt bikes inexpensively at the Base, and they run all over the trails (with him, not me) around the Lake. When they get ready for a break, they just jump off the bikes into the water for a cool down, splash around...then back onto the bikes. When they get to the house, they all smell like dirty-dogs and are famished. THEY LOVE IT!!!! (It is my peace-and-quiet break towards the end of the visit)
:thumbup:
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
Go to the library and check out a book on how to make paper airplanes. Give them some paper and let them make a few of them then have an airplane flying exhibition. Kids of all ages can make them. The little ones many need some help. They can color them with colored pencils. They get to be creative and active.
I would NEED the library, as mine have NEVER flown properly!
:-D
Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Oh, that is a LOVELY idea! Once I took my oldest granddaughter to purchase her preferred color of 1/4" gingham check, and embroidery threads. Have a book illustrating various cross-stitch patterns on gingham. She loves butterflies, so she went with the pink gingham and lots of thread colors: purple, turquoise, lime-green, etc. IT was very cute. Of course, her six yr old sis is not ready for a needle yet. But do plan to revisit this with her in the future.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Priss
How about going to the library and getting a movie of a different country and then fix a meal from that country.
GREAT IDEA!!!! I love international cooking. They have heard a little bit about trips to Cambodia, etc. That really is a great idea.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
You probably feel you already have more than enough great ideas - but here are some more.

You said you like to show them movies and shows from the '50s and '70s. Ask in advance, and your library can get you some that you don't have via inter-library loan. Have they ever seen...
Born Free (movie telling the story of Elsa, an adopted baby lion and how she grows up)
Here Come the Brides (TV show about three brothers in pioneer times looking for wives. Bobby Sherman played Jeremy, the youngest.)
Finian's Rainbow (movie)

I did per this suggestions, online requested Born Free, and Finian's Rainbow (I've never seen it! How I missed this one I do not know), and tried for Here Comes the Brides...which was not available. I'd have to have some interlibrary loan for it apparently.

Get some good plays from the library and have each person read one of the parts.

Have any projects needing doing, like putting up a gazebo or a new shed? The kids could help. If you don't already keep chickens, have them put up a chicken pen and buy a few chickens.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 AM

I also tried to request the ORIGINAL Lorna Doone film, but they only had available a 2001 version. Requested it, but really did want the old one, of course! Did I misspell it? keyed in "Lorna Doone." It is the one set in Scotland, a village which appears out of the mist one day per Century. BEAUTIFUL dance! Kinda goofy versions of scottish-dance, but it's classic Hollywood...just part of it! :-D