Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER >

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
Well I have few regrets in life. I did go to college and taught 35 years. I successfully raised two kids. I had no issues with rebellion or worries with them. My son became a software engineer and was still very much a part of our lives. Then one of my former students who knew him asked about him. I casually told my son she asked about him. Well long story short, she nabbed him, didn't like his family from the minute she got the ring on her finger. Now 7 years later, he has two sons that we have only seen twice. No pictures, no phone calls, no emails or texts, we were thrown under the bus. I cried for years and tried to continue to have him and his family in our life. Not.

The good is I still have my wonderful daughter. She is kind, sensitive and we are proud that she is finishing up as Chief Resident for Pediatrics. She continues to be a delight and we are happy she is in our lives.

The regret is opening my mouth about this girl. She is a lying, manipulative b...h. I have heard that this has happened with other families. I think I would rather have had a little stress raising him and still have him in my life. I wonder if he will ever regret throwing his family away?

Well, done with my pity party.
I once cross stitched on a pillow "Everybody has their
"s _ _ t". It's a favorite quote of a friend of mine. I gave it to her and she loves it. It's so true.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 AM

I would not have been so in love with love.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Babyfire04 - putting him in jail for molestation was the RIGHT thing to do. You SAVED other girls. It probably caused you much family heartache, but just remember the girls you helped.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Not all of my past has been happy, some of it awful, but it has made me into who I am today. I wouldn't trade the past for the "what if's" or "could have beens".

Am I perfectly happy with who I am today? NO, but I have a wonderful husband - that took me 3 tries to get, wonderful children and grands that I wouldn't trade, a job that says "see you tomorrow" and keeps me out of the poor house. My parents are alive and fairly healthy, other family members have issues but who doesn't? We have plenty of food on the table and enough to share when others come over and I have a fabric stash that isn't hidden.

So, is life good? I'd have to say it's better than it has ever been and it's up to me to keep making it better. I am responsible for my own happiness...no one else is. I do love the life I live.
i couldn't have said it better myself! i had a rough childhood, and carried a lot of baggage around frm that, causing me to make some REALLY poor choices in my life. but, that being said, i was in a position to really appreciate the gifts i have been given now & i might not have appreciated it as much without the rocky start! and it has made me into an amazingly strong woman, if i do say so myself!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
I would make less mistakes.

but that's when you learn the most valuable lessons in your life!!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 AM

I have been trying to think of an answer for this...of course, I have regrets, things I wish I had done differently, but looking back, all of things I wish I could change have also made me who I am today....some of them if I did over, I would not have in my life now what I do have.
The only do over I can really come up with is that I wish I appreciated my education more when I was younger. Thankfully, we always keep learning, and thanks to books, and shows on PBS, I can learn about things that years ago I didn't really care about.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
Babyfire04 - putting him in jail for molestation was the RIGHT thing to do. You SAVED other girls. It probably caused you much family heartache, but just remember the girls you helped.
That's the regret. I stopped it but was so ashamed that I didn't tell anyone right away. I wish I would have been brave enough to give up his name when I did finally tell, maybe someone would have believed me then. In my family, the one thing I am know for is honesty and they didn't believe me. I never told the cops, if my own family that knows how brutally honest I am didn't believe me, why would the police. Being older and wiser I can understand why I felt the way I did but my biggest regret is not being stronger. I wish I would have called the cops or screamed or anything that would have labled him what he is.

I will live with the uncertaintly of what he could have done to other girls, maybe even my own sister. I might be older and wiser but I am still scared to speak up again. I'm scared to ask my sister. There is no point in telling police now, statue of limitations has been out for a couple of years at least.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM

I would not have gotten radiation for my thyroid disease I wish I had tried other avenues first and used radiation as a last resort.

I felt like I was beeing pushed.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
I have found that the road I traveled has made me who I am today, so since I like who I see in the mirror I wouldn't change anything I've done. I would love to have my son back.
i am with you friend.
no matter how hard i worked in the steel mill,and the almost 30 years of swing shift were hard on me and my family..the kids mostly. it helped mold my kids into being independent,and helpers.
My first marriage,2 kids..my second marriage 1 kid. wouldn't change that either..

in my heart and soul, i wanted to be an oncology nurse.

for me, a do-over would be something simple.
.like stopping to pray with someone,when i knew i should of..

Or making that phone call,when i felt i was supposed to.

or tell someone that i loved them when there was still time.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Babyfire04 - I read your post incorrectly, I'm so sorry. Sounds like you were too young. Just remember you're worth more then a million of him.