Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm being bugged by this bug!  Know what it is? >

I'm being bugged by this bug! Know what it is?

I'm being bugged by this bug! Know what it is?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

our june bugs are huge--at least an inch long, and flying chunks of meat and shell. when they hit the windshield, they leave their entire life story behind. ours are cousins to the scarab beetle, and they just creep me out. last week i was in the bathroom at midnight. i turned on the light, and inside of ten seconds, it sounded like someone was tossing pebbles against the window. there were at least a dozen of these hefty wonders, trying to commit suicide on the window--while startling me near to death!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:17 AM

my exterminator is here now and he said he thinks it is a member of the fire fly family. but we are in the SE so he could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I was told this morning a safe recipe to use on Box Elder bugs. Use an empty spray bottle with 4-5 tablespoons Dawn or Joy liquid dish soap, make sure it is mixed well. Spray the bugs and they die NOW but if they just fall down off the wall, spray them again to make sure they die.
It clogs their air ways and they die. Add more soap if the first measurement does not work well.
Jan in MI
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM

To keep the bugs away from you, try Bounce or Downy sheets, in your back pocket, in your shirt pocket, and I sometimes rub a sheet over my ears, under my chin, and across my forehead. You can also spray the inside brim of a straw hat with bug repellent and it will keep bugs away from your eyes. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM

To keep the bugs away from you, try Bounce or Downy sheets, in your back pocket, in your shirt pocket, and I sometimes rub a sheet over my ears, under my chin, and across my forehead. You can also spray the inside brim of a straw hat with bug repellent and it will keep bugs away from your eyes. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Looks to me like what my students called a "stink bug". (That's because they smell when you step on them.) When I was little they were called box-elder bugs. I don't think they do anything, but they can be pesty.
Thats what my husband calls a stink bug
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM

They are benign - won't hurt plants etc. I had so many at my front door it was hard to get in. And they were on top of each other doing the hokey pokey if you get what I mean. I finally did use bug spray and that got rid of most of them.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Our fireflies in GA look a little different and they light up---but that was what I was thinking it looked like. Some years we have more, some less...not too many this year. We have millions of mosquitoes this year, though.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

The June bugs we get are medium brown and about the size of an almond, only rounder. Our stink bugs out here don't fly, they are really some kind of beetle, and are much larger and all black.

When I was a kid we visited our relatives in Missouri and we would catch lightning bugs (fireflys) in jars. I don't remember what they look like when "cold" however.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mypatookis
Okay... as soon as I asked this question... my sister found the answer for me. It is called a California firefly... Ellychnia species, family, Lampyridae

Although they are a firefly, they do not illuminate. They like the sugar maple trees... so maybe that's why they bug me??? Because I'm so sweet??? Yeah, right... well, anyway. Does anyone else have these in the yard?
I have them. And my yard is full of maples. Several years ago there were millions of them but not so many the last 2 years.