I'm still in shock

Old 06-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Have a wonderful trip.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Some of the Pearl Harbor tours include the Punchbowl (military cemetery). If you can, be sure to go there. World War II vets give wonderful tour, very informative, and the grounds and views are wonderful. We've gone to HI in Feb. the last 2 years and love it. Will go again next Feb. Enjoy!!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by athenascooter View Post
I envy you. Our daughter gave us money for our 50th anniversary to either go to Hawaii or an Alaskan cruise. Having a hard time getting hubby to look at the travel info to set up a trip. This has been going on since February

I was also given the option of an Alaskan cruise, but we decided on Hawaii, there's always another anniversary
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Aloha! Sadly the quilting shops are far and few between. There are two in the Kaimuki area which isn't far from Waikiki but could be a long haul if walking. Calico Cat on Koko Head Ave is a small, crowded shop with a large quilting fabric selection for its size. Two block away is Kaimiki Dry Goods which carries all kinds of fabric and notions, kinda pricey though. Closer to Waikiki is Fabric Mart on Kalakaua. Great prices but zero customer service.

ifmyou rent a car, take a drive to the North Shore. Waimea Bay is beautiful in the summer. Plan to go early to get ahead of the traffic. You can continue your drive around the island to return to Waikiki. Very scenic.

While at Pearl Harbor, along with the U.S. S. Arizona, there is also the U.S.S. Missouri to tour.

Be safe and wise with your belongings. Happy Travels!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Enjoy your new adventures! Hawa'ii is great.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Lucky you, have a great trip.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Read as much a you can prior to going. This will help you decide what you want to do and see. And you'll also learn what NOT to see and where not to go. Get lots of sleep prior to going and stay safe while there. You'll have a great time.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM

You will love Hawaii. I flew over in 1968 to meet my husband on his R&R leave during the Vietnam war. We stayed on Oahu. We walked everywhere. The weather was beautiful. (late March) We went on a cruise of the islands 3 years ago to celebrate our 45th anniversary. (mid December) The weather was beautiful then too. The weather in Hawaii is pretty much the same all the time. Gorgeous! Temp in the low to mid 80's. The Polynesian Cultural Center is wonderful. Be sure to go to a luau. We asked one of the locals if there were any quilt shops in the Honolulu area. He gave us directions to Fabric Mart. He said all the costumers for the shows at the Polynesian Cultural Center got the fabric from Fabric Mart. We got a taxi and went there. Two stories of fabric! I only wish that we had more time there. We only had a few hours from the time the ship docked until we had to catch our flight back home. I managed to buy 69 yards of Hawaiian cottons, assorted cotton prints and Batiks. I can really shop fast when I have to! lol Enjoy your trip!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Hanuama Bay. Be sure to be one of the first to get in. Bring your own snorkel, flippers and ice chest with Hawaiian donuts, cool drinks, fruit and sandwiches. I can go to Oahu and get up every morning super early. Drive along North shore and beat all the tour busses to Hanuama Bay and snorkel with the turtles. You'll also need to visit the swap meet at the stadium, Polynesian cultural center, The Pineapple plantation and be sure to take some of those evening cruises with dinner. Have funnnn! I wish it was me going and then I could see my grand daughter too. Oh I like shopping at Fabric Mart and the swap meet for fabrics but there are also some really cute small quilt shops. Oh I also like the beaches more locals visit.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 PM

I have QUILTER'S TRAVEL COMPANION 2012-2014. There are 8 shops listed in Honolulu, My Little Secret, 1050 Ala Moana Blvd. Bernina of Hawaii, 320 Ward ave, Island Crafts and fabrics, 1284 Kalani St, Viking and Singer sewing and vacuum, 670 Auahi St, Anne's Hawaiian Quilt, 307 Lewers st., and Hawaiian Style Quilts, 1071 Luapele Dr.
Calico Cat and Kaimuki Dry Goods were already mentioned.
I don't know anything about these shops, but I used QTC while in Alaska and the shops I visited were great.

Last edited by Vera39760; 06-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.