Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis >

I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis

I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis

Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Wow!

Quite timely, I never thought that I was perimenopausal, as I just turned 37, but maybe there is something to this.

I have all of the typical symptoms, less the irregular periods.

Who knew!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM

I had the same problem. People just had to look at me and I could feel myself growing angry. Felt tense all the time and didn't really like anyone. That lasted for about 10 years and nothing seemed to help. Not a fun way to feel. Thankfully, I am now more like my "normal" self but that had to be the hardest and worst 10 years of my life.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I so am not an expert.. but I think it is the weather.. I just hurt and things really bother me.. a lot..

We wake up to 41 degrees but temps swing to 71 or 75..

I am just .. grumpy.. and now I know I have a disease ! Grumpy-itis! thank you Dr. for figuring this out.. I need a bag of M & M peanuts.. that should be the fix..

Thanks for your post.. very timely.. I am having great fun!

Ell
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
I so am not an expert.. but I think it is the weather.. I just hurt and things really bother me.. a lot..

We wake up to 41 degrees but temps swing to 71 or 75..

I am just .. grumpy.. and now I know I have a disease ! Grumpy-itis! thank you Dr. for figuring this out.. I need a bag of M & M peanuts.. that should be the fix..

Thanks for your post.. very timely.. I am having great fun!

Ell
Yeah, that's another thing. I'm changing my diet and I'm trying to control the amount of junk I put in my body. Usually when I get feeling like this I self-medicate with a half gallon of moose traks ice cream and a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

It could be the weather, the stress of the 9/11 anniversary. Maybe I'm just tired of being nice? I do need to get back to exercising. Maybe that will help me.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Regular exercise helps. Two miles on the treadmill (about 45 minutes) really makes a difference for me, but I have to do it at least every other day. Usually feel a difference the next day.
There was a study released recently that showed regular excercise worked as well as, if not better than, prescribed medication for mild depression. I wish I could find that news article again! If you're one who dislikes "excercise", maybe calling it "me time" or "therapy" would help. :)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Well this is somewhat timely... I just read another quilter's description of her experience (http://thebitchystitcher.blogspot.co...thly-dose.html) and while it's an hysterical read, I'm somewhat terrified! I sure hope there's something that can be done about the irritability. My dad was a horrible grump for most of my life, and I don't want my family to feel about me the way I feel about him. :(
When I click on that link I get a page says it does not exist. I've been wanting to find that blog. Can anyone help?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Aack. Sorry, it's not supposed to have a parenthesis at the end. Try this:

http://thebitchystitcher.blogspot.co...thly-dose.html
Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 PM

In Oct. 2009 I started being really grumpy and mean also. I had been sick with a migrane for three days and then started feeling really tired. I would come home from town and tell my husband that I lost my temper with someone in line behind me and then started jumping into conversations with people that were not even talking to me. I have always been the peacemaker in my family and at any jobs that I had. I was always the one that people came to when they were having problems.

I saw my GYN and since I have been on hormone replacement since 1996 due to complete hysterectomy, she felt like it wasn't hormone related. At that visit I had negative pressure in left ear. She referred me to ENT. My apt. was in January, 2010. The cat scan of sinuses showed a deviated septum and very little airway in the left nostril. At the time of surgery I had complete blockage on the left side. After septoplasty and turbinate reduction, I could breathe much better.

I was sleeping better and my grouchiness went away. Then things started clicking in my mind. My husband had told me that I was turning over at night hundreds of times but I didn't realize that I wasn't sleeping well. I began to feel normal immediately.

I always tell this to anyone that mentions that their personality has changed suddenly. Sleep deprivation causes alot of personality changes.

Please visit with your dr. about your symptons, especially if you are more tired than usual. Don't wait for months like I did.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 AM

I can relate!!!! I work really hard for equilibrium.

Suggestions: GOOD multivitamin, Have your Vitamin D level checked. Recent research showed huge # of people have deficiencies, even with lots of sun and fortified milk.

Also, GOOD omega supplement, with at least a 7/1 EPA/DPA ratio, per my M.D. I use Omegabrite (Omegabrite.com). Chosen after much research on my part. It is expensive, but lasts a long time. I keep in refridge and take right after a little peanut butter per my M.D.'s suggestion.

Do some research on the web, before you take any suggestions so you know why you are doing the things you are doing.

And as already mentioned, adequate, good sleep is a must, as well as counting your blessings, exercise, and perhaps a mild antidepressant.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 AM

Get the thyroid checked as well...just in case.