Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis >

I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis

I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis

Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Over the last few months I've discovered something I don't like about myself. I've become a real negative Nellie, and I take offense at everything and I'm super grumpy. I used to be so laid back and calm and now I've turned into this raving lunatic at times.

I've been snapping at DH and coworkers, mouthy to supervisors. When I realize what I'm saying usually after I've calmed down, I'm completely mortified and immediately apologize.

But that only goes so far, I mean I shouldn't be acting this way. I'm a grown up. I know how to act in public. And poor DH, he's confused why I'm acting this way.

I don't think it's menapause because I get my hormone levels checked every year and they are fine. The dr says I'm probably in peri-menapause. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago.

How do you control yourself when you are about ready to do or say something stupic?

Those of you going through menapause, have you noticed an increase in anger? or other not so positive emotions?

So, today I will consciously think about what comes out of my mouth. I will consider what others say and not automatically think that they are attacking me, I will take a deep breath and be calm.

I've PM'd you. This is a serious situation. You really can't control yourself. I struggled with the same thing for a long time after having a hysterectomy. Some doctors treat by symptoms only so I urge you to get help. (ob-gyn).
My opinion is that you need hormones. A hyst. throws you into menopause. I got to a very dangerous condition so I can see where you're headed unless you get help.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM

For me it is like golf ... A lifetime goal.
If you were more patient with fools and bumblers before, call it hormonesN but maybe just maybe it is combo of hormones and sufficient life experience?
Grace under pressure is a good motto
But maybe this is just you and people are used to you nicing them up
...So they resent you because you haven't been good old polyanna
I'd put it in mental wastebasket and avoid doctoring my hormones into docility
Imho etc
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by vharris
I heard this once and I really try to follow it; I can't tell you how many times it has stopped me from saying something I shouldn't:

Try the acronym T.H.I.N.K. the next time you are not sure whether or not you should say something -

T- It is Truthful?
H - Is it Helpful?
I - Is is Inspiring?
N - Is it Necessary
K - Is it Kind?

I really like this. I'll print it out as a reminder. So many times what I'm saying is truthful.. .could be marginally helpful...but it's not really inspriing, necessary or kind.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM

I can totally understand.... for I am the same way right now. Have always been a very laid back person.... starting going thru menopause about 3 months ago... and I can flare up over nothing. I used to NEVER have road rage... boy oh boy.... it rears it ugly head all too often now.

I had a partial hysterectomy 7 years (still have 1 ovary). Was sure hoping that little ovary could last a bit longer. This menopause is (I believe) the absolute worse curse on women. The night sweats, anxiety episodes and anger are awful!!!

I am determined to not turn to hormone replacement therapy. Side effects are just too dangerous. I am in very good health (no meds for anything) but do need to incorporate exercise on a more regular basis.

Whew..... not sure how long this will last.... some women have told me it never stops. Don't think I can bear that. ;-(
Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

People get on my nerves-mostly people that I gave birth to!

One of the things that were low on me was VIT.D3. I had to take 50,000 units a day until my body caught up. Now it is low again but not that bad. I'm about half - empty but have better energy when I take the extra VITD.

Hoping everybody has a good day,

Quilter68 who is now 70
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
o.k. I am confused, I had a hysterectamy at age 33 I am know 46, my doctor at the time told me I was going to go into early menopause due to the hysterectamy,,,
If they did not remove your ovaries, you will still get the hormones until menopause. You just don't have periods. Depending on your family history, it could be years until you go into menopause.
Deb
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
I take Effexor XR - really helped with mood/anxiety/sleeping and no sweats!!! I just got tired of the roller coaster every month. The medication is an anti-depressant.
Be very careful with effexor. When you decide you want to get off it, it's a real B****.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM

you may want to ask your doctor about going on a low dose antidepressant-when I got that way it wasn't around menopause and I was diagnosed with a depressive disorder. Was on "happy" pill off and on for a couple years before it settled down. I actually went off on a doctor in the middle of the nurse's station when mine was at its worst!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM

You know what really sets me off- sad to say it is sugar. Darn it, I love everything sweet! Also alcohol, needless to say, so have to really watch my intake of both.

I also take a lot of vit. D, especially in the winter (Seattle area, lack of sun). Then I take vit. e, and fish oil, too. Oh, yeah, and I walk every day.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM

I had awful mood swings and other attitude problems until my older sister told me about Estroven. It is a god-send for me. I take an extra strength in the morning and evening. I like me better, and everyone else seems to also. Try it? For the record, I buy the generic from Walmart, as it is much less expensive. I may be just chicken but I am terrified of HRT.