Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
Hi ya'll! I haven't had a chance to read all of this thread yet, but I would love to sign up for next month if possible. I need to loose lots!! I'm trying but just can't do it on my own.

Can I play too?
Stay the rest of the month and join in on the FQ prize next month. We are a fun group and you are more than welcome to join in.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 AM

I saw this on facebook this morning. Now I am not sure if it's real or not but the story with it said fast food is not 'real food' but processed food. This lunch has been sitting (supposily) on a doctor's counter since 2010!!!!!! Make ya think, doesn't it!

What does this picture tell you? My doctor has had this "processed food" on her counter ever since 2010 and 2011 respectively. I asked her why she had it out, she stated "to show people what they are putting into their bodies". This is man-made "processed food", not real food. Over time real food will decay, grow mold and produce a decomposing odor. This "processed food" has not done any of that, matter of fact it has kept it's original size, shape and texture. Your body has to work harder to breakdown and digest this stuff over real food. Since I've seen this, I have not had any fast food. #tyingtolivebetterin2012
Attached Thumbnails fast-food.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Gross!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Beachbound- Thank you, you just made it so much easier to avoid fast food. That is unreal.

Irishrose- I am going to try eating more protrien in the morning and see if that will work for me. It seems like once I put that first bite of food in my mouth all I want to do is eat, eat, eat.

It's raining and nasty here today. The little ones and I are stuck inside today. We are under a tornado watch too. No walking today. Though I will say, getting all three bathed and dressed was a workout this morning.

I will drink water today, I will drink water today, I will drink water today.

~Kris
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Kris, we need a cheerleader icon - I am drinking water today, I am drinking water today, etc. Can you tell I've sat through hundreds of school sports events? No cheerleaders here, though. My children were the players.

The chicken for breakfast worked yesterday. It may have been the first day in my life I wasn't constantly hungry. I just took a health test for weight loss and it, too, said I need protein with every meal. Of course, they wanted to sell me their whey protein drink mix. It is an interesting site especially for someone who can't lose weight, which really doesn't apply to me. I can lose weight if I pay attention to what goes in my mouth and my exercise.

Beachbound, I looked inside one of my GS's chicken nuggets a few weeks ago. I didn't see anything that looked like food. Have you noticed how long things like milk and orange juice last now? It used to be milk was good for four or five days, if it lasted that long with five children and OJ for less than a week. I have OJ here from Christmas that still smells fine. Milk lasts almost two weeks. I have to wonder why.

I need to set up another sewing machine. I just don't feel like FMQ the flannel quilt in a hurry. I'd like to work on other things intermittently. I think that means I need to pull the Elna out of the fake sewing room and stash her somewhere. I hate to. She has been such a wonderful machine and sewn on everything I've asked from leather to silk organza, but she's just not a quilting machine and right now I need two quilting machines. I did cut one strip of the fabrics for the spiral incorrectly last night, but I caught it right away and it's no big deal because it was a junky fabric I have a lot of. It's just a color I need. I didn't mess up the LQS fabrics I only had a 1/4 yard of so I'm still good to go.

Off to walk my furgirls, then do some large muscle exercises from last week's reading on how to get rid of winter weight.

Have a healthy eating day, everyone. Who's in line for almost six yards of red FQs??? Hmmm??? Not me, but let's all keep trying.

I am losing weight, getting healthier and drinking water.
Judy
Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Good evening ladies,

I finally worked my first 12 hour shift since going back to work. I did very well. I was not any more tired than I was before I lost a lung. Yes I will continue to take it slow. I am just happy to finally get back to some kind of normal in my life.

I met some friends tonight for dinner, went to Genghis Grill, it is a mongolian style resturant. i got lots of veggies and protein to eat. downfall is that I got a very large achololic drink..........but it was very good.

I dont have a drink often when I go out but tonight I needed it due to excess stress going on here at home.

I am not in the running for this months FQ's I am losing inches not pounds. but that is ok.

Keep eating your protein, veggies and your water.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 AM

Hey!
I am still doing WW and enjoying it! I lost another 4 lbs this week. I start Pulmonary Rehab this morning (in 4 hours) but couldn't sleep tonight. Got bit by a Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Tick, gave me the famous bull's eye rash, started antibiotics for Lyme disease but still have the fever and chills. I don't even know what day it is, exactly, as I've been pretty sickly. However, I'm hoping that Rehab will give me some exercise I can do...my lung function was at 68%

Cindy, what does that mean, exactly? They also added COPD to my list of ills.

I've been craving all kinds of bad for me foods but looking at the photos of fast food helped that one!

I was told to eat 9 grams of protein at every meal so I make it a practice (this is to cover my insulin) and it does help with hunger. I also try to have something hot (like hot tea, or soup) with each meal to make my tummy feel fuller. Cold foods make my tummy feel empty...don't know if it is physical or mental?

Cindy, great job on that 12 hour shift! That's a tough one for anybody.

Going to try to sleep now...

Oh yeah, on the water thing? I drink 3 bottles of 20 oz each day. On the first one I mark 1, the second 2, until I get to 3. Somehow this helps me get it down. I've tried added flavorings, lemon, lime, tea...eventually I go back to numbers and just drink. Try it, you may be surprised!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 AM

My big down fall is the cookies DH brought into the house this week. Because once I start eating them it's hard to just have 1or2. Any advice on how to refrain.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem View Post
Hey!
I am still doing WW and enjoying it! I lost another 4 lbs this week. I start Pulmonary Rehab this morning (in 4 hours) but couldn't sleep tonight. Got bit by a Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Tick, gave me the famous bull's eye rash, started antibiotics for Lyme disease but still have the fever and chills. I don't even know what day it is, exactly, as I've been pretty sickly. However, I'm hoping that Rehab will give me some exercise I can do...my lung function was at 68%

Cindy, what does that mean, exactly? They also added COPD to my list of ills.

I've been craving all kinds of bad for me foods but looking at the photos of fast food helped that one!

I was told to eat 9 grams of protein at every meal so I make it a practice (this is to cover my insulin) and it does help with hunger. I also try to have something hot (like hot tea, or soup) with each meal to make my tummy feel fuller. Cold foods make my tummy feel empty...don't know if it is physical or mental?

Cindy, great job on that 12 hour shift! That's a tough one for anybody.

Going to try to sleep now...

Oh yeah, on the water thing? I drink 3 bottles of 20 oz each day. On the first one I mark 1, the second 2, until I get to 3. Somehow this helps me get it down. I've tried added flavorings, lemon, lime, tea...eventually I go back to numbers and just drink. Try it, you may be surprised!

Great job on the weight loss, so that makes 7lbs total for you down. Keep up the good work.

Pulmonary rehab with be great, they will have you doing exercises that you can do. The place I go is at the hospital for my pulmonary rehab, I started out only able to do 5 mins back in november and now I am up to 35 minss of exercise. I get on a recumbent bike, the elicipile(sp?) and a rowing machine, also do a arm cycle. They asked me if I wanted to do the tread mill but I have shin splints so I dont do the treadmill. Go at your pace and dont over do.

COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It is one of those blanket diagnosis for a lung disease. I am suprised they had not said you had this before.

That is a great way of keeping track of your water. Since my surgery I have notice that my taste buds have changed and now I can't stand the taste of lemon in my water. I used to drink my water with a lemon and no can't it turns my stomach upside down.

Have a wonderful day all and keep up the good work.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM

MJ, your weight loss is fantastic. Your lung function test measures the rate of take in and release of air and how well your body moves oxygen from the atmosphere to your circulation system. Below 80% is when the concern begins. You can improve it with the exercises you will learn at pulmonary rehab. I don't have lung problems (except the collapsed one from the accident last year), but with years of battling congestive heart failure I had my lung function measured regularly.

quilter btd, Can you portion the cookies? Put two in a snack size baggie, then return it to the big bag. Don't throw the bag away until bedtime. Stack them on the counter so you can see what you are doing. Eating cookies and candy is such a mindless activity that it's easy to lose track. I have a litle stack of Dove chocolate wrappers beside the candy jar each day until bedtime. It helps me control my intake. Are there any cookies your husband likes that you don't? Ask him to buy those for a while.

I don't think I've lost any weight this week, but I am controlling my food intake better. I am eating ess often and making better choices, so it something should kick in soon. I had New York strip steak for breakfast today.

I didn't sew at all yesterday which is not my norm any more. The strata are ready to cut into wedges for the spiral. This is my 3rd one and it still amazes me how fast and easy they are to make. It would be even faster if I'd follow the pattern and flip it instead of binding it. This one is burgundy again, though I had to sub two fabrics, but you 'ladies' have me thinking blue and yellow would be pretty. Maybe for the Carenet auction (unwed mothers). Ladies?? I am no lady, but I'm not very fond of the term 'girls' for people my age. Hmm, what do we call each other - fellow travelers on a weight control journey?? FTWCJs????

The sunshine is calling. I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy