Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM

Good morning, y'all. Another easy TT for me. I never was a salter and learned to eat many things without when I had diabetic related kidney problems with my 4th pregnancy. It ended the night L was born, but I never went back to using much salt. I do deliberately eat salty snacks after I've had a surgery. I'm a bleeder and it takes salt, not iron, to rebuild my strength.

Yes, I hate hospitals. I could save walking on uneven decorative bricks (what were they thinking??) by cutting through emergency, but even walking through emergency is scary with all the germs flying around.

mummadee, you can be a part of this group without sending a FQ. We need all the support we can get and hope we can give you some, too.

D called me just before he hit Pittsburgh. He was in the clear by then, but he had driven in many whiteouts. He loves that truck as the two of them did their usual job of getting through safely. Funny guy - he kept his quilt in its Christmas bag at his house so it wouldn't get dog hair on it. He saw Moira on it when I was putting the label on by hand so the quilt probably already has dog hair on it.

I have forgotten - what's the S in NSV? Non S---- Victory. New members and some of us returnees need a refresher.

I am doing well with food, but I'm having trouble getting my candy consumption under control. I need to go back to portioning the amount I intend to eat in a day and staying out of the remainder. I also need to make some muffins so I'll have some yummy carbs for my breakfast. Pumpkin muffins are always good to me.

Walking will be lovely today. The sun is shining brightly, though I think it's cold. Hmmm. 15 degrees isn't too bad as long as the wind is down. We had gusts to 50 mph Sunday night. Brrr.

What am doing for me today? Putting away the Christmas things so I get my house back. What am I working on? A burgundy/cream Spicy Spiral, though I'm not satisfied with one main fabric. I can't decide between two prints. They're in the washer so maybe one will speak to me while I press them. I took pictures, but it didn't help.
What am I eating? Eggs and whatever for lunch and a restraurant salad for dinner. The other half of a grapefruit for evening snack.
What am I doing for exercise? A 30 minute walk in the sunshine and a 30 minute TV exercise program. I've gotten away from that and need to get back NOW. Oh, and at least 20 minutes shoveling snow. Sounds like I'd better get busy.

I am gaining control of my weight and getting healthier.
I still like 'gaining control of my weight' as opposed to 'losing weight'. We look for what we lose, but rejoice in gaining control. I AM because I want it now, not in the future wich I will denotes. I know it's all semantics, but our thoughts imprint our bodies. Have a good day, everyone.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Today is the 3rd, so her's our list of FQ members. Anyone else is welcome to a part of the group. We are NOT a closed group.
createfourpaws
nancia
Short an Sweet
Beachbound
Irishrose
meanmom
Maggiemay
MrsH2008
ljs317
Toni-in-Texas
prezzy
mim
thevintageseamstress
scrapquilt
country1
Podunk Princess
Jholm
bwjordan
Quilter Day-by-Day
lauriejo
purplemen
Pam H?? Let us know
Where are Xylie and Missy??

That's at least 5 1/4 yards of red or white fabric (or whatever is sent). Someone is going to have fun with that. I guess I'd better go find mine so I can send it to Cindy's PO box by the 10th. Good luck, everyone.

Last edited by irishrose; 01-03-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM

A NSV is a non scale victory, we all need to remember them! I was a heavy salt user when I was young. I even was known to salt my potato chips! Of course that was when I could eat potato chips! LOL!!!

Purple batiks sounds fabulous! I really want to see that WIP as you go along!

I am a bit fuzzy headed right now so I will respond to the rest of y'all later. Nap is a calling my name...
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Hi all, I already had my salt for the day before I opened my computer so I will have no salt tomorrow. You girls really think up some good ways to watch what we eat. Never use salt in my cooking, but have some pretzels every day. I have been riding my husband's bike just a little at a time because it is around 18 outside.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Hi all!
Dang! about the hair weight! I have donated my hair to locks of love four times in the past. My hair grows really really fast I asked my doctor about its fast growth once and he said I have the Raphunzel syndrome, I think he was just kidding! My daughters don't want me to get it cut this time but it is really getting annoying. When I cut it it will be this long again in about three years.

No salt is a great taboo! i only use salt to scrub my hands when I cut up onions because it takes away the smell of the onion.

My prayers to everyone who needs them.

I am trying really hard this month to loose the weight and gett healthy!
Lisa
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Hi again FINALLY! I will be joining again altho I won't be participating for the FQ this time. I know I told you that I am an emotional eater and last you heard of me was October. Well in October my sister died, my uncle died, and my niece and her family were in the midst of a health crisis. I had to go back east to be with them. Dieting or watching any food intake was not high on my radar. Needless to say when I got back, the entire board had DISAPPEARED! What I found was something I could not use. I lost all my former bookmarks and am finally feeling comfortable with a few things here. I finally found this group again.

I bought a new Singer 301 birthed in 1954 but I haven't recieved it yet. Looking forward to getting it this week. I hope. We had the incredible winds and so many people lost their power and trees, homes, etc. Now that it is the 3rd of January the Rose Parade is over. That is always 3 weeks preparation and two intensive days on the route and two days of checking, cleaning and putting away equipment till next year. So today I will be working on Rose Parade stuff. It is and has been in the 70's and 80's here so we are having beautiful weather. Wish I could send some of it to you who are in the really cold.

Now to start tackling something that took years to accumulate. Too much weight! I am glad I found you guys again. I have missed all the encouragement and support. I will catch up on the previous pages gradually but just wanted to jump in and stick my toes back in the water. So I guess I will just say Let's all have a bountiful 2012in all the good things in life, just not in gaining weight.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Bares, if you want to partcipate in the FQ, it's still the 3rd. We'll have to check with Cindy (createfourpaws), but former members should have some privileges. It would be an incentive for you as new weight sometimes comes off more easily than our 'old friends'. That's a lot of people special to your life to lose or have health issues at once. My condolensces on the losses. Sisters are such a part of us even if we don't see them often.

The good thing is that you found us again. I haven't figured out a good way to find this thread either.

Has everyone written a goal for the month somewhere?? Calendar, mirror or whatever. You don't have to write a projected number if your calendar isn't private, just the projected loss. Mine says (5) 1. The five are the Christmas pounds, so I don't want them added to the one I really want to lose. Normally I would just have a 2. Four or five isn't unreasonable for most people. Not much, you think. Four pounds a month is almost 50 pounds a year. Think how happy your knees and ankles will be without 50 pounds to carry around. If a pound causes 4 pounds of pressure on our knees with every step, then that adds up to a fantastic number of pressure off the knees (200 pounds). Let's get 'er done. Now I sound like Xylie.

I AM working on it - and it is work, but very gratifying work. J
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mummadee View Post
Can't make the deadline for January, but will certainly do February, keep me posted.
Join us even though your can't make the mailing deadline. We are here to encourage and inspire those to lose weight.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Today I had to take my baby Lucy (chihuahua) to the vet. she has had diahrea for 3 days now and not eating or drinking very well. they thinks she has a stomach virus with a possible bacteria infection. They wanted to keep her for the day for IV fluids but I can't afford that since I am still not working after surgery. We are trying the brat diet with bland food and pedialyte.

She ate a little and drank alittle and now asleep in my lap. So my day will be spent taking care of my baby. She will get chicken and rice. they vet approved this. Will get her meds down her soon.

Remember you are in control of what you put in your mouth. Choose wisely and be your biggest fan.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Drinking is the most important thing for her. Put a tiny bit of beef broth or water from canned tuna in her water or pedialyte. You can't use much because of the salt, but a little will entice her to drink. Lily came with life threathening colitis. Canine kaopectate from a life saver for her and a carpet saver for me. Human KP is not the same because it's been changed - you want kaolin clay and pectin, not some chemical. Our veternarians are wonderful, but they do come with a price tag. Moira's simple ear infection last month ate up $100 of Christmas money, but Dr H takes very good care of her, so what is, is. He even calls at a week to see how she is.

I just watched The Doctors Show while I worked on fabric. A person wearing a pedometer walks three times further in a day than the same person without it. Interesting.