Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: January weight loss 2016

Just catching up on the last week after being in Florida visiting my mom. For some reason I am wanting chocolate!
    Pat, I don't know how you can stand to go to work every day. Chocolate is probably a better alternative than how much alcohol you might want to drink to cope with your stress.
    I am still not eating sugar (plus white rice, white flour). I go for blood work the end of the month to see if my numbers have improved enough so I don't have to go on meds. Panera gave me a cookie for my birthday and I let my sister, mom and aunt share it. We went to Outback and they gave me an ice cream sundae which I did have 1 small bite of. It was so yummy! Then I shared the rest.
    I am allowed to have dark chocolate - at least 70%. I got some at Aldi's. Since I am not a fan of dark chocolate I found it is much improved with just a thin smear of peanut butter. Another one that I found at the grocery store has raspberry flavor with it. That one is pretty good.
    We'll see in the morning how I did diet wise on vacation. At least I remembered to wear my compression stockings. My goal was to walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Well, when you vacation with your 87 year old mother you just might not be as active as you might hope to be.

Hey all. I've been so busy I almost forgot to post! Honestly, I am not sure how I have been doing weight loss wise. I don't think I have lost that much. So much stress at this time. Its just awful. Hope everyone is doing great!
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

My daughter is a teacher of high school students with multiply handicaps. She always has a least one parent that causes all sorts of problems. I admire teachers. I cannot understand how you always have the patients to work with students each day. I think you are a gift from God.

I, too, am having problems. We have not had sun the past few days and I just mope around. Need SUN

Have been watching Call the Midwife on Nexflix and cutting with Go Big (I love it) and sewing a tumbler block quilt together. Using Kansas Troubles fabric. It is my 2nd favorite fabric after Laurel Burch fabric.

Ok, so finally got my FQ's out in today's mail. I'm sorry they are so late. I have Jan - Mar with a little something extra for postage.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am down only about 2 - 3 lbs so far. It is better than going up. Today I am babysitting my youngest grand daughter. She just will be 5 mos old on the 27th. Her mamma is a teacher in a T-K class.
    My next grand is due March 3. Beth will need a C-Section so that means for a couple of weeks I will have Faith more as well as Naomi and Caleb while their mother recovers. It ought to be interesting.

I had my last session with my PT. He is going to request more. I see my Dr on Monday. I asked him if I can start walking around the block yet. He said no. I can ride an exercise bike or do a little work on an elliptical(I don't have access to one of those) but no walking where I can't immediately stop when the foot starts to hurt.

I do get to go to Road to California Quilt show tomorrow. I am going with 4 other friends and they will take turns pushing me around in the wheel chair. It should be a fun day!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I'm like several who are having trouble getting any traction. I've been tracking my calories and have only gone over my range twice, and I'm averaging more than 10,000 steps each day yet I weigh the same as I did Thanksgiving. I'm having a colonoscopy in the morning, haven't had solid food for 3 days; if the scale doesn't move in the morning I should probably give up.

But I know I'll just try harder. I want to start a new quilt - I've got the bug again.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    Ok, so finally got my FQ's out in today's mail. I'm sorry they are so late. I have Jan - Mar with a little something extra for postage.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am down only about 2 - 3 lbs so far. It is better than going up. Today I am babysitting my youngest grand daughter. She just will be 5 mos old on the 27th. Her mamma is a teacher in a T-K class.
    My next grand is due March 3. Beth will need a C-Section so that means for a couple of weeks I will have Faith more as well as Naomi and Caleb while their mother recovers. It ought to be interesting.

I had my last session with my PT. He is going to request more. I see my Dr on Monday. I asked him if I can start walking around the block yet. He said no. I can ride an exercise bike or do a little work on an elliptical(I don't have access to one of those) but no walking where I can't immediately stop when the foot starts to hurt.

I do get to go to Road to California Quilt show tomorrow. I am going with 4 other friends and they will take turns pushing me around in the wheel chair. It should be a fun day!
    Hahahah see you at the Road to California. Well maybe not since I do not know who to look for but I will be out there with one of my daughters and a friend.

Oh does this count as working out? I'll be wandering the halls from 9 aM to 6 PM. LOL No I still did not make it out to the exercise place.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 01-22-2016 at 12:18 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Leann View Post
    I'm like several who are having trouble getting any traction. I've been tracking my calories and have only gone over my range twice, and I'm averaging more than 10,000 steps each day yet I weigh the same as I did Thanksgiving. I'm having a colonoscopy in the morning, haven't had solid food for 3 days; if the scale doesn't move in the morning I should probably give up.

But I know I'll just try harder. I want to start a new quilt - I've got the bug again.
    Oh do not give up, it will go up. Sometimes the best I can do is stay the same or at least not gain too much. Best wishes.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
    Hey there everyone. Just checking in. We have to bring my daughter to the orthopedics for a followup because she fractured her pinky at recess while sliding down a hill. This was on the 8th of January. She seems to be doing well so I am hoping she doesn't need a more permanent cast.

My weight loss has stalled as well...
    Must be a take your daughter to orthopedics week. My daughter tore her muscle loose in her knee and needs surgery.
    Anna Quilts

I'm having mixed feelings about weekend meals. I generally do well throughout the work week, amazingly. Meal planning just seems like part of the work I need to do. So I cut veggies for lunch salad and do pretty good with supper as well.
    The problem is that I get lazy on the weekends about what I eat. I don't care as much, and since I am home, I eat and snack more. My husband would like to "do good" all week, then have goodies and pizza on the weekend. It's not that awful of a concept, and we have done well in past years with that plan. But now that I am older and have a more sedentary job, I'm not sure it is going to work.

What about you? Any weekend meal issues?

Oh yes. Weekends are the worst for me. Also, I tend to forget I need to eat lunch and don't plan them. Maybe try to make things ahead of time for the weekend? Like when you are making stuff for meals on the weekday just put a little extra for the weekend too. You could let yourself have a treat on the weekends but don't over indulge. There is a balance and to be honest I struggle with it.

Here are some tips on how to burn more calories. I found some of them quite helpful.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/diet/w...160118#slide=1

Blog Entries
    I missed my spinning class 2x this week. I went this morning, it is amazing how much I lost in only a week. My SIL dad was in the hospital so I had the grandkids several evenings. This interfered with my classes. I rode 22 miles this morning in an hour. Then I did all of the exercise machines. I can feel it in my shoulders. Then I went and spent the whole day at the mall. I have a new Apple computer and since I ran an update this week it has't been working right. It is all better now. I got a nice pair of black boots, up to my knees and 3 sweaters for $68. Love clearance racks and coupons. I are lunch at a sushi restaurant. OMG was it good, probably kinda high in calories. Hopefully I can get back on my exercise schedule this week.
    I have troubles with my food choices on the weekends. Too many yummy temptations around here. Also in school I can't eat whenever I want. My Dh is bugging me for a Lemon Meringue pie. I will probably make one tomorrow. He will eat most of it. I have been hungry for pizza. I was thinking of making one tomorrow.

Thanks Anna. And you're right, I can't give up. I'd weigh 200#! But my current situation is definitely testing the calories in/calories out. Maybe that is just a theory? lol After the cleanse and prep for my colonoscopy my weight increased 2#. I was told the day after the procedure I'd be able to get back to my normal routine. I wish. But I am hoping that by Monday I'll be better. Mom told me it affected her the same way.

I hope everyone is safe. Quite the weekend for bad weather.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Thanks for link to southbeachdiet.com. The tips are good. I'm all for the sleeping one!

Lynne, I can't believe you gained with the prep for your colonoscopy. Sounds like it does run in your family though. I was wondering how many calories you are allowing yourself each day. Maybe your body has gone into starvation mode. You probably don't want to hear this but I lost 5 lbs with my prep. Right after that I started the Daniel Plan 10 day cleanse and lost another 5 lbs in 10 days. That's why I had such a good loss for December. As soon as I added dairy and grains back my weight loss slowed way down.

Blog Entries
    I made some delicious homemade bread today. It has dried blueberries, cherries and apricots in it. I ate way, way too much of it. That many carbs will kill any weight loss I have going. It made a huge loaf. I am going to put some in the freezer. Hopefully my DH will continue to pig out on it so it will be gone.

I think I can smell your bread from here. My husband is the cook in our household and he likes to make cookies and very high sugar, white flour treats and then leave them laying around. Of course, I have to eat them. The freezer does not help. I can eat them frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    Lynne, I can't believe you gained with the prep for your colonoscopy. Sounds like it does run in your family though. I was wondering how many calories you are allowing yourself each day. Maybe your body has gone into starvation mode. You probably don't want to hear this but I lost 5 lbs with my prep. Right after that I started the Daniel Plan 10 day cleanse and lost another 5 lbs in 10 days. That's why I had such a good loss for December. As soon as I added dairy and grains back my weight loss slowed way down.
    She is not the only one. I also gained and I was on a roll before it. It took me awhile to get back in the groove. I did not eat anything extra either. Maybe my body was just conserving?
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I made some delicious homemade bread today. It has dried blueberries, cherries and apricots in it. I ate way, way too much of it. That many carbs will kill any weight loss I have going. It made a huge loaf. I am going to put some in the freezer. Hopefully my DH will continue to pig out on it so it will be gone.
    Just reading about it is making me hungry. I have saliva running in my mouth. Hahahaha...
    Anna Quilts

Hey everyone. Lots of stress here. I either forget to eat or eat too much. Can't win.

Blog Entries
    I have one month of FQ from Gail G and 3 months from, meanmom, Leann, Anna Quilts, Jims Gem, Susanna10, JCarpenter, Lucky_alf2. If I have missed anyone please let me know. I know there are some still coming in the mail.

Blog Entries
    I took a landscape quilt class a couple of months ago. The instructor was an art professor, not a seamstress. She taught the class from a different perspective than someone who sews. I really enjoyed it. I changed this a took it apart several times. I made the boat out of wood veneer and model magic. It is a half of a boat. I am really happy how it came out. Not sure why the picture is sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is really cool, Pat. I'm glad you said it was sideways because I really couldn't figure it out. LOL Did you dye the fabric or paint it or something? I love the shades of blue.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I took a landscape quilt class a couple of months ago. The instructor was an art professor, not a seamstress. She taught the class from a different perspective than someone who sews. I really enjoyed it. I changed this a took it apart several times. I made the boat out of wood veneer and model magic. It is a half of a boat. I am really happy how it came out. Not sure why the picture is sideways.
    I really like it! Before you said it was side ways I already liked it. Hahahahaha I thought very artsy but now I see the boat is pretty realistic when you look at it side ways. The class sounds great too. Keep those creative juices flowing. The colors are amazing.
    Anna Quilts

Very interesting, and cool. I had to tip my head and look for more than just a sec to appreciate. The background has some sort of land mass, yes? Will you have any trouble with hanging it?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast