Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz? >

Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz?

Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
We have several Kindles. One with ads and the others without. The ads doesn't bother us. I found if you turn the wi fi setting to off then no ads pop up anyway at least not on the Kindle Fire.
It's what I do, but I use mine for reading, not the internet. When I want new books, I turn it on long enough to download, them turn it off again. Really adds to the battery life when wi-fi is off.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Really ? You have to pay extra to get no ads?
Ditto! News to me!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:44 PM

I don't know about the Fire, but when I got my Paperwhite Kindle there were two options listed, and the ad-free version was about $20 more at the time. I think it also mentioned, up front, that you can later pay up and quit getting the ads. If I could get rid of ads on certain websites by paying a few extra dollars, I might consider it. Many of us have a long history of paying extra to get commercial free TV stations. It's a fact that sponsors offset the cost of things like that.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

It's all right there on the Kindle sale page at Amazon, Kindle with ads or without. With ads cost less. Your choice, not theirs.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 AM

I don't have a kindle fire but was upset about ads for books coming up on my touch. I got the kindle as a gift. Any way to make a long story short I contacted Amazon and told them that if a book that I wanted to read ever came up on their ads I would go to Barnes & Noble and pay hardcover price before I would ever buy it from them. Couple of days later the ads disappeared.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 AM

Wow, I can't believe you all have to do this. I have two Nooks, the 3G and the Nook color and I've never had to deal with ads popping up and they have one price for all. Another good reason to add to the list that makes my Nook better than the Kindle.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 AM

Default Love my kindle

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
This is why I just have the old fashioned paper books....no annoying ads. Seems to me that don't need all that electronic stuff...
I thought I preferred the paper books until DH talked me into a Kindle. I just love mine. I have 600 books downloaded. I used to pack 5-6 books when I went away and now I just slip the kindle in my purse. It goes with me to Drs. appointments. I get free books and some are wonderful. If I don't like them, instead of having to return them to the library, I just delete them. I have the one with ads and they only pop up in the beginning. Doesn't interfere with reading your book at all. I opted for the one with the ads because it was less money and if I was buying again that's what I'd buy. I bought mine from Amazon and as always they're excellent to deal with. I bought my daughter one and Amazon somehow transferred all my books to her kindle. One phone call and it was corrrected. I'm one happy Kindle owner. I use it every day.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM

[ Another good reason to add to the list that makes my Nook better than the Kindle.[/QUOTE]

The Kindles are every bit as good as the Nook. Some of us opt to purchase the one with ads to save $.. It's cheaper and the ads aren't bothersome at all. They only show up when you turn your Kindle on. It's good to have that option if you want to save money.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 AM

We didn't get them in the beginning either, but the longer we have it the more we get.. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Really ? You have to pay extra to get no ads?
This is not as strange as you might think. The computer manufacturers have been doing it for years. You know the AOL link and the games and other junk that comes on a new PC? It's not there for your convenience, heck, I bet you don't ever use most of any of it. It's there to "subsidize" the computer. If you want what we call a "clean image" - one without the garbage so your computer runs better and has only what you want on it, it will cost you more. More for less, like a bikini. And they don't make that option easy to find either.

As for ads on websites, I almost never see them with firefox -
Tools - Add Ons - Get Add-ons
Search for "AdBlock Plus"

Looks completely different than on my iPhone. And I pay for bandwidth on iPhone which means I pay to see those ads.